CMFI Crete 1941 mini-mod project

On 5/1/2021 at 2:56 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

+1  Very cool.  Supply from the air.  This mod / idea will be useful in many scenarios / campaigns.  With some tweaking it can probably be used in every title.  Everything from CM FI Crete, to a cut off CM Cold War Berlin Brigade, to CM Black Sea keeping the tip of the Russian invasion spear in supply, etc. Interesting stuff.  :)       

The Germans dropped without most of their gear on Crete, IIRC on the first day they lost almost as many men recovering their gear as they did using it.

• 1 year later...
On 7/7/2021 at 1:13 PM, kohlenklau said:

Thanks for asking!

Coming along nicely. I have 3 scenarios done. Working last night on a 4th scenario. 1 more new scenario after that. uniform mods are almost done. 

Am I correct when I say only one scenario has been released, Phil. I played one and it was tremendous fun playing from both sides.

Edited by Aragorn2002

I guess it depends on how you define released.

I would often skip Bootie/CMMODS and just post a Dropbox link due to laziness or my convenience.

I recall 4 or 5.

Kiwi on Crete

Baggage Claim

The Mandarin House

Galatas Sleigh Ride - h2h only?

Silk Drop

-----

But I can check later this morning. @Aragorn2002

Edited by kohlenklau

43 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I guess it depends on how you define released.

I would often skip Bootie/CMMODS and just post a Dropbox link due to laziness or my convenience.

I recall 4 or 5.

Kiwi on Crete

Baggage Claim

The Mandarin House

Galatas Sleigh Ride - h2h only?

Silk Drop

-----

But I can check later this morning. @Aragorn2002

Please do, Phil. Great 'little' project. I did test play Bagage Claim.

Edited by Aragorn2002

3 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nhawptyba75vqkl/AAB2cBGA5UvFpasdj7lu2kfua?dl=0

This is where I keep it all as of 1 May 2023.

Just another of my lone(ly) wolf attempts to do what BFC refuses to do. 

You're not a lone wolf, you're a wolfpack. 😀 Seriously, you had such impact on CM that it deserved more attention, but perhaps i's is some comfort that you gave a lot of enjoyable hours to many CM owners, like me.

Thank you Phil. Gonna jump over Crete some more. Really loved Bagage Claim.

7 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

you gave a lot of enjoyable hours to many CM owners,

That is great to hear. You know, my (current level of subscription) dropbox "goody box" and even Bootie's CMMODS4 does NOT have (AFAIK) a "counter" for the number of downloads. I never can really know if it is being downloaded at all. 

FURTHER DISCUSSION: In the old days of greenasjade and CMMODS3 you could see Aris's mods get 300-400+ downloads. I think I remember such numbers. BFC never mentions number of sales for any titles. Maybe we are just a very small niche community like Steve always nags us at every chance. Maybe STEAM will show number of people playing online at once?

59 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

FURTHER DISCUSSION: In the old days of greenasjade and CMMODS3 you could see Aris's mods get 300-400+ downloads. I think I remember such numbers. BFC never mentions number of sales for any titles. Maybe we are just a very small niche community like Steve always nags us at every chance. Maybe STEAM will show number of people playing online at once?

It's all possible. Personally I don't give a damn about what BFC thinks of us, same as I'm sure it will be the other way around. As long as they give us great games and we give them our money it's all good. Works for me. 😛 But I do appreciate they are there, that's for sure. Without them we would have nothing.

There will always be some bitter taste about what could have been, but will never be. France 1940, North Africa 1941-1943 etc.etc. Beggars can't be chosers, I guess. Personally I accept this because I've got all I ever wanted, but I'm sorry for gifted people like you, who could have made the difference and give us even more if their talents had been appreciated and used. On the other hand the most brilliant mods and scenarios hardly get any attention,as you experienced yourself. Perhaps that's also a reason why BFC doesn't bother to support 'little' mods like France 1940, Finland and Crete.

But don't underestimate your own efforts and the impact that had on a lot of CM gamers. Stick around, no need to sacrifice time, energy or even health on our behalf. Just help us with your knowledge from time to time. Make something if you feel like it or don't. You're too good a guy to be missed on this forum. Same goes for people like WimO@ and MJKerner@. Don't touch the game for a year or so, if you like, but just stay around. Don't be obsessed with it, but just enjoy it. We still have great times ahead, no matter what comes.

Edited by Aragorn2002

40 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Don't be obsessed with it, but just enjoy it.

I know you are trying to say nice things. I appreciate it.

I am definitely taking off for a few years to focus my energy elsewhere. I have a 24 foot ceiling dining room to finish, a 700 square foot house for my son, rebuild and repaint the pergola I built back in 2008, several other big projects on my 10 acres. Get back in shape. Dry out and regrow the liver. :D

Well Phil, before leaving you really should let us a basic description of each of the mods you've designed: what they do, wether they're tagged or not, how to use them, etc.

This way, we could make Bootie uipload them while you're out.

With a bit of luck we'll have finished to upload them all before you come back to Combat Mission…😆

Well, not that sure…

Iif you paint pergolas and build dining rooms as fast as you design mods and scenarios, you'll not be away for long!!! 🤣

I gotta tell a funny story of modder's frustration.

Yesterday I sent a revised link for a few folks along with some scenarios. A few changes fixed some Char's not appearing properly. My buddy texts me and image of his screen and the tanks are now invisible. INVISIBLE!!!???

I almost threw my PC out the window. I then took a few breaths and thought...ok, he and I are playing a PBEM right now, all weekend really, I wondered...

Did you put the new mods into z and RESTART?

uhhh, no.

OK, that fixed it.

It is always something. It can be found. It can be fixed. 

22 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I gotta tell a funny story of modder's frustration.

Yesterday I sent a revised link for a few folks along with some scenarios. A few changes fixed some Char's not appearing properly. My buddy texts me and image of his screen and the tanks are now invisible. INVISIBLE!!!???

I almost threw my PC out the window. I then took a few breaths and thought...ok, he and I are playing a PBEM right now, all weekend really, I wondered...

Did you put the new mods into z and RESTART?

uhhh, no.

OK, that fixed it.

It is always something. It can be found. It can be fixed. 

By you mostly. That's why you have to stick around.