Anyone know if the BAOR is likely to be included?

Very excited when I heard CMCW had dropped out of nowhere and was to be included.

As a Chieftain tank commander stationed in West Germany (Detmold) during the 80's, I was a bit deflated not to see the BAOR in the mix.

Any hints as to what will be added down the road after it's release?

Well, I presume that the British Army and the Bundeswehr will be eventually included in the game. When and in which order is pure speculation at this time.

(OK, OK, also stating they will be eventually included is pure speculation at this time, but it's not wild speculation! 😄)

4 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

As a Chieftain tank commander stationed in West Germany (Detmold) during the 80's, I was a bit deflated not to see the BAOR in the mix.

May I kindly ask you if you remember in what year did you get APFSDS (instead of APDS) rounds in your loadouts?

44 minutes ago, silent_crescendo said:

Can the BAOR please have the PLCE webbing from the 80s :) 

Considering the 1979-1982 timeframe, 1958 pattern webbing should still be standard issue, if I'm not mistaken, along with Mk IV helmets and L1A1 rifles... 

21 hours ago, Amedeo said:

May I kindly ask you if you remember in what year did you get APFSDS (instead of APDS) rounds in your loadouts?

I can't remember the exact date I left Germany, but I was there from 1980- 1984... we were on the MkV Chieftain, we still had a .50 mg fitted, a GPMG 7.62 co-axial, Laser rangefinder (prone to overheat) so we usually used the Mk I eyeball for range estimation, lol... main armament ammunition was the APDS and HESH rounds. (only got to fire live APDS in Canada).

As to APFSDS, never saw one, although the Regiment taking over from us had been training on the IFCS system (we still used 'steam gunnery') back in the UK so they were probably training for APFSDS at that stage as well.

We took over as the Medium Recce element  of 5 Airborne Brigade and never saw an MBT again, but quite a lot of us became paratroopers, lol!

Edited by Trooper117

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

I can't remember the exact date I left Germany, but I was there from 1980- 1984... we were on the MkV Chieftain, we still had a .50 mg fitted, a GPMG 7.62 co-axial, Laser rangefinder (prone to overheat) so we usually used the Mk I eyeball for range estimation, lol... main armament ammunition was the APDS and HESH rounds. (only got to fire live APDS in Canada).

As to APFSDS, never saw one, although the Regiment taking over from us had been training on the IFCS system (we still used 'steam gunnery') back in the UK so they were probably training for APFSDS at that stage as well.

We took over as the Medium Recce element  of 5 Airborne Brigade and never saw an MBT again, but quite a lot of us became paratroopers, lol!

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. A lot of interesting tidbits of information I would have never got elsewhere!

By the way, what you are telling me about APFSDS is (of course) perfectly compatible with what I heard from another BAOR veteran that said his unit got the first APFSDS rounds in late '84.

When I mentioned 'steam gunnery' I was talking about a gunnery system which was laid onto target by the gunner using his hand controls after receiving a fire control order from the commander, and making manual corrections... a system that any WWII tank crew would have been familiar with, as opposed to the IFCS system which was like playing a computer game in comparison.

By the way, as commander I could override the gunner at any stage and lay him onto any other target that pops up that may be a more immediate threat...

12 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

When I mentioned 'steam gunnery' I was talking about a gunnery system which was laid onto target by the gunner using his hand controls after receiving a fire control order from the commander, and making manual corrections... a system that any WWII tank crew would have been familiar with, as opposed to the IFCS system which was like playing a computer game in comparison.

BTW, IIRC sometime during the '70s Chieftains used coax MGs for tanging fire. Did you also use similar techniques in the early '80s?

No, the .50 cal mg was originally installed for that job as it was matched to the 120mm main gun... after getting strike on target the gunner would switch from the .50 and engage with the main armament, making manual corrections as normal. (Using HESH you could expect a 3 round engagement). Using Sabot I would normally get a first round hit due to the very flat trajectory.

The .50 was considered superfluous as we had the TLS (Tank Laser Sight) for ranging, and although we still had the .50 we never carried ammo for it anyway.

The 7.62 GPMG was our co-ax, used for soft targets and for killing enemy crew bailing out, and attacking infantry etc.

50 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

No, the .50 cal mg was originally installed for that job as it was matched to the 120mm main gun... after getting strike on target the gunner would switch from the .50 and engage with the main armament, making manual corrections as normal. (Using HESH you could expect a 3 round engagement). Using Sabot I would normally get a first round hit due to the very flat trajectory.

The .50 was considered superfluous as we had the TLS (Tank Laser Sight) for ranging, and although we still had the .50 we never carried ammo for it anyway.

The 7.62 GPMG was our co-ax, used for soft targets and for killing enemy crew bailing out, and attacking infantry etc.

Good facts trooper

I was with 4th Armd Bde Sig Sqn, Munster 84 - 88. We shared York Barracks with the Queens Royal Irish Hussars, they had the Challenger I at the time, i suppose they must have just become operational. I always remember standing in awe at them as they thundered around the camp perimeter, christ they could shift! Felt quite inadequate in our 432's with just an LMG for protection 😉

I was always interested in how the Infantry and Armour worked together. I did a 6 month 'stint' with the Grenadier Guards but that was NI so no armour involved. Anyway im waffling, wondered if you could throw some light on a few things?

What was the general strategy and tactics for you at your level? Was it purely defensive, deploying to preset positions or did you prepare for counter attacking? What about cooperation between you and the Infantry, how did you think that went?

Cheers trooper, its always really interesting hearing how things really happened rather than how they were supposed to.

regards

slippy

BFC has added Brits to so many of their titles (plus they did that work for MoD) that it would be a shock if Brits didn't eventually show up. Also their new BFF Slitherine is UK-based. But we're talking a LONG way away. Brits haven't showed up yet in CMFB lets recall. 

Battle in the Shadows aka The Battle for Overloon is one scenario I would love to play. As a child in the Netherlands, I visited the museum there. The liberation by the Canadians of the provinces of Friesland and Groningen is another one. Then the Assault of Walcheren by allied Commando units (Norwegians participated too.) Unless I study the editor in depth, I am not holding my breath. 

2 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Battle in the Shadows aka The Battle for Overloon is one scenario I would love to play. As a child in the Netherlands, I visited the museum there. The liberation by the Canadians of the provinces of Friesland and Groningen is another one. Then the Assault of Walcheren by allied Commando units (Norwegians participated too.) Unless I study the editor in depth, I am not holding my breath. 

So not Cold War at all then ... try the CMFB forum.

• 4 weeks later...