comparision of tanks over the years.

z1812

How can Leopard I be so big, with so little armour?  :o

TBH that video's just wrong.....Apparently the authors believe the Iranian Karrar & Indian Arjun are Generation 3+ tanks.....I've got news for them, the Karrar is a T-72S with a fancy hat on and the Arjun is borderline legendary for its lack of capabilty compared to its gargantuan mass.

The Chinese Type-99A is, on the other hand, very much a Generation 3+ tank.

PS - The Turkish Altay is a K2 Black Panther in all but name.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 2/24/2021 at 3:16 PM, 3j2m7 said:

Yes I could not believe but also interresting that most of the time the Soviet ones are small and down vs European Us ones !!

True - I have this comparison picture ( I probably got it from someone on this forum in the past ;) )

otvaga2004_abrams_17.jpg

Edited by Baneman

There is something screwed up in that scale.  The T-72 is smaller in all dimensions than an M1, but not that short in height and length.  Both CM and Steel Beasts shows maybe a foot shorter in length and less than a foot in height.  I'll track down measurements from somewhere else to confirm.

btw, there are some pretty messed up scales in the video.

Edited by Thewood1

18 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Not that bad if you screen recruits for medium built 175 cm in height and not 6'6 gym junkies. 

I am 186 cm tall and have 86 kilograms and most definitely am not medium built. Still, I managed to fit in T72 mechanic-driver position. Saw taller and bulkier people fit into them quite well. Your point is moot.

Edited by Aurelius

6 hours ago, Aurelius said:

I am 186 cm tall and have 86 kilograms and most definitely am not medium built. Still, I managed to fit in T72 mechanic-driver position. Saw taller and bulkier people fit into them quite well. Your point is moot.

I am not here to argue with a veteran, I just go by what I researched. I never seen a T72. It was not my point at all.

. U.S Army tankers were, and still are, recruited to a 95th percentile standard with a 183cm (6'1") official height limit. Soviet tank crews were recruited to a 50th percentile (average), standard, with a 175cm official height limit.

Keeping in mind that the 95th percentile for Soviet men is not the same as the 95th percentile for U.S men, and that smaller men were usually recruited for tank crews, the hatches on the T-72 were not only of an ideal size for a Soviet tank crew in light clothing, but were even adequate for winter clothing.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:42 PM, chuckdyke said:

I am not here to argue with a veteran, I just go by what I researched. I never seen a T72. It was not my point at all.

. U.S Army tankers were, and still are, recruited to a 95th percentile standard with a 183cm (6'1") official height limit. Soviet tank crews were recruited to a 50th percentile (average), standard, with a 175cm official height limit.

Keeping in mind that the 95th percentile for Soviet men is not the same as the 95th percentile for U.S men, and that smaller men were usually recruited for tank crews, the hatches on the T-72 were not only of an ideal size for a Soviet tank crew in light clothing, but were even adequate for winter clothing.

Chuckdyke I think your research refers to peace time rather than war time. When I was in I saw tankers of all shapes and sizes. I think we were recruited for experience and aptitude. Not body size. Although I had a gunner who was a little guy. And he fit down into the gunners seat quite well.