Why the Triple, Covert, CIA like Top Secrecy to this Project?

weapon2010

49 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

Just wondering? I LOVE surprises.And this is quite the surprise.

Here was my response to the question about how long we've been working on the game. It answers the question. I will take credit for it. 🙂 I think Bil wanted it in the 2019 Year End Bone but ultimately came to love the idea of the surprise. 

Bil or Warren can tell you for sure but here's a funny-ish story. It's also why I pushed so hard for it to be kept quite which is another story. So, I'll take a minute and tell both.

Maybe a year and half ago. I was looking at the Beta forum and I saw the Cold War forum. For whatever reason, in the back of my mind I had thought that I had seen it many times (and I probably had) but I never gave it much thought. In the back of my mind it was a long dormant legacy forum of a game that was never made. On this particular day I also noticed that a recent post had been made. HHmmmm...I wonder why anyone is posting in there. That is where I saw all of the hard work that Bil and Warren had been doing. Their plans, their research, campaign ideas, you name it. My mind was blown. At that time I think only 5 or 6 people had access to the forum. Beta testers didn't know it existed until they were invited in. When they were brought in their minds were blown too. Which led to this...............

I don't know how many people here remember the release of CMFI. When it was dropped on us testers we had no idea that anything like that game was being developed. The first time the public heard about was when pre-orders were opened. It wasn't a hard sell to HQ, Bil and Warren to recreate that. Especially with this title. We knew this was going to blow minds. I'm an old timer in these parts. I think when we had numbers attached to our forum profiles I was number 64 or somefink. I have seen people ask for this since back then and we wanted to make it's announcement something special.  I think we accomplished that. 

I'd say this is why we can't have nice things, like being told in advance of new products.  If they tell us it's cooking we will all be complaining incessantly about 'when will it be ready'.  (I am included in this complaining.)  I really like this surprise.  It killed my work productivity this morning but I am recovering finally.  This is a dream come true.

And so now I start complaining about not have Brits, Dutch, Germans, Belgians, French, Czechs, Poles, ......

Back around April 2019 I got first wind of the still-unnamed cold war title. I quickly threw together new rural Germany mountains horizons, hastily reskinned CMSF2 T62, then brought it into CMBS as a 'proof of concept' test. The response was 'Dang, this could actually work!' These are the very first screenshots from the very first test of what would eventually turn into CM Cold War.

proof of concept 2.jpg

proof of concept.jpg

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Here was my response to the question about how long we've been working on the game. It answers the question. I will take credit for it. 🙂 I think Bil wanted it in the 2019 Year End Bone but ultimately came to love the idea of the surprise.

So glad you dedided to do it this way.....Instead of months of waiting and reading posts bleating about its non-appearance, I've spent the entire day smiling, and looking for decades old books about 'the latest tanks'.  ;)

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

I think we accomplished that.

Yes.....Yes you did.  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Aside from the fun of surprises, there were some practical reasons why we didn't announce this earlier.  Initially it was because we had no idea how fast we could develop it as we already had a lot of stuff on our plates.  Especially the work for our British friends in the MOD, which was intensive at the time and no idea how much more work there would be on that front.  Additionally, core development tasks were being done by people who have day jobs/lives that aren't centered around fussing with how many canteens someone should have or if a particular flavor of T-62 was available for our time period.  It would be unwise, and quite unfair, to expect them to snap to attention every time we barked an order.  It's not like they're Elvis :)  So we didn't want to overcommit them and get them stressed out if things began to be "late".  Again, not treating them like Elvis.

With this in mind we kept plugging away on things with the intention of getting it done as soon as possible.  Towards the Fall of last year things really started to kick into high gear.  We saw a path to release that was more sure and that's when we brought in the testers.  That went really well and we felt confident about making a prediction for release that wasn't too far away.  We decided we might as well keep it quiet until release was immanent.

Because things were going so well late last year we decided it was "safe" to commit to a joint release with Slitherine for late Q1 or early Q2.  And so here we are!

Steve

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So glad you dedided to do it this way.....Instead of months of waiting and reading posts bleating about its non-appearance,

That was an unintended side effect. 

I've spent the entire day smiling, and looking for decades old books about 'the latest tanks'. 

That was the intended effect.  

@Battlefront.com great to hear more about the backstory of this project. This sounds all very well thought and reasonable.
Hope the cooperation with Slitherine will pay of great for you, and that you will a lot of new customers from other platforms who otherwise wouldn´t have found their way to this game. I already preordered on your website, because this is the game I was asking for. Really looking forward to it. Great job.