Best DVD War/History movies

I just saw this on the Future Releases section of DVDReview.com. Anyone know anything about it?

World War II: The War In Europe

1983 · 195 min. · FS · E · Not rated

Special Interest · Release Date: 12/19/2000 · SRP: 19.95 · UPC #7-33961-7015-55

This classic program tell the epic story of the greatest conflict the world has ever known through expert commentary and graphic combat footage from the famed battles. Directed by Don Horan.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beltfed:

I remember a film made based on Team Yankee. I think. smile.gif I never saw it but heard that because of the end of the cold war it was toned down and actually ended with a snowball fight between the US and Russian troops. I think Roy Scheider (jaws fame) was the American CO. BTW I think it was panned and soon dropped from sight. Anyone actually see this one?

BTW

here's my list.

Battleground

first 1/2 hour of Saving Ryan's Privates

84 Charlie Mopic

Platoon

Apocalypse Now

Cross of Iron, book too!

Bridge too Far.

Sharpes Rifles, BBC series

Later

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah,I seen this movie, I think its called "The fourth war"

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Now I'm REALLY confused about Winter War... IS IT available on DVD, or no?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I heard back from my e-mail query to http://www.belleandblade.com/, and the response about Winter War being available on DVD was "We will have it ready for sale by March 1."

So, I suspect that it was prematurely advertised in their mail catalog and that's why Silesian-jaeger has a product number, and the operator told him "yes". But, the operator Red Devils spoke to said "no", as did the e-mail response I got (and since he gave a date when it would be available he sounds pretty credible, to me).

Anyway, if anybody does get a DVD of Winter War, please post the fact and where you bought it. smile.gif

As for Belle & Blade, ya gotta love a site whose movie reviewer gives Thin Red Line one star ... cool.gif

I came across a thread posted early this year which mentioned some:

"A Midnight Clear"

"Massacre In Rome"

Both of them are not in DVD biggrin.gif

BTW, I came across a TV documenatary series in 1995 on PBS, each episode tells famous battle in World War 2 with in-depth analysis. I watched the "Battle of Midway" episode. Question is: what is the title of the series? Is it also on DVD?

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MajorEazy:

Anybody ever seen 'Come and see'? A Belorussian movie thats very scary. BTW, any of you Aussies remember a series called 'Anzacs' I loved it when I was a kid, its set during WW1 and seemed pretty good at the time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G'day MajorEazy

Anzacs was released on video in Australia on Anzac day last year, and yes it is as good as you thought it was when you were a kid smile.gif

I don't think it has been released on dvd.

------------------

Work is the curse of the drinking class.

I have nothing else to say. Ya, quote that you rat bastards.

-Meeks

• 3 months later...

Anyone know if "Winter War" has been released on DVD yet?

Also, is there any news of an improved version of "Cross of Iron"? I remember hearing talk of an improved and updated DVD of this supposed great flick. I am ready to purchase this but have heard that the translation is bad and not up to snuff. Also the U.S. release is "full screen" instead of "widescreen" frown.gif

If not a revised & improved version of "Cross of Iron" will a european DVD version work in my DVD (american) player? Is it possible or will I need a decoder of some sort? I would rather have the "widescreen version".

Originally posted by jackson44dday:

Of course Saving Private Ryan, Kellys Heros, Battle of The Bulge. those are the only ones i'v seen on dvd. They are pretty good too.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a jerk, but how can anyone think that Battle of the Bulge was a good movie in any aspect of film making or historical accuracy?

I just saw something that might answer a question I have.

When I was away in the Air Force several years ago my grandmother used to put a tape in the VCR before she went to bed and record movies all night and then mail me the tapes.

One of the tapes had an excellent Vietnam war movie on it. But she had missed recording the opening credits so I never knew the name of it. Never saw it at the video store and since I didnt know the name of it I didnt know what to look for.

It was about a leutenant and a camera man going into the bush with a recon team. It was shot from the perspective of the guy with the camara who was refered to by the team members as "Mopic"

In an earlier post someone has refered to a movie called "84 Charlie Mopic"

Is this the same movie? Is my years long quest for a title finally at an end?

<crosses fingers>

Thanks for any replies.

Funnel

------------------

"We will go forward, but you must go back."

And they moved not an inch in the perilous track.

"Go to the rear, and we'll send them to hell!"

And the sound of the battle was lost in their yell.

Excerpt "Lee To The Rear"

Originally posted by FnlWeb:

In an earlier post someone has refered to a movie called "84 Charlie Mopic"

Is this the same movie? Is my years long quest for a title finally at an end?

Correct Funnel, that's it!

Goto:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie-1000148/reviews.php

...and you'll read this synopsis:

Told entirely through the subjective lens of a military cameraman whose assignment was to document life in the field to better educate future troops, this story follows a six man reconnaissance team lost in the Central Highlands of Vietnam in 1969.

Hope this helps...

Wilko

------------------

Wilko

"Look Mum: No Sense!"

Guest Mikey D

When it first came out I truely DESPISED 'A Bridge Too Far'!!! Nice tanks (not counting the German ones), but everything from the pacing to the music was like fingernails on a chalk board to me. A good lesson in how NOT to direct a war movie.

Has nobody mentioned than B&W Gregory Peck late early 60's Korean war classic:

"Porkchop Hill"

Infantry storm a defended hill in a night operation. Based on true events? You get to see a young Tony (Barretta) Blake take out a machine gun nest with a grenade.

Originally posted by Mikey D:

When it first came out I truely DESPISED 'A Bridge Too Far'!!! Nice tanks (not counting the German ones), but everything from the pacing to the music was like fingernails on a chalk board to me. A good lesson in how NOT to direct a war movie.

How would you have directed the movie, then?

I've read three accounts of Market Garden and I have to say that all the key aspects of the battle are in the movie.

The music by Addison is also one of the more famous film scores.

Originally posted by Jsherfy:

Years ago PBS ran a series called "Piece of Cake." Its available on DVD now and is about a British figher Squadron from Sept 1939 to Sept 1940.

Its got to be one of my favorite books too. Ive read it twice and loved it both times. Isn't Cattermole a bastard. Where can I get the DVDs? I really want them!!!

Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

BTW, I came across a TV documenatary series in 1995 on PBS, each episode tells famous battle in World War 2 with in-depth analysis. I watched the "Battle of Midway" episode. Question is: what is the title of the series? Is it also on DVD?

Griffin.

Yeah, it was called either "Battlegrounds" or "Battlefields", I think it was the latter. Absolutely excellent series of documentaries and true tactical analysis. I know the series consisted of at least 6 two-hour episodes, maybe more. DVD? dunno. I don't know if its even available on tape. My brother in law taped about three of the episodes, and we watched Barbarossa a couple of months ago.

[This message has been edited by Agua (edited 04-05-2001).]

Wilko

Thank you very much.

I have been wanting to see this movie again

but my copy has long since disappered. (or the wife has recorded her damned soap operas over it)

Looks like I'll be making a trip to the video store tonight. Maybe I should make the wife go get it. Wait, bad idea. She'd prolly come back with "You've Got Mail" or something like that. hehe

Anyway thanks again.

Funnel

------------------

"We will go forward, but you must go back."

And they moved not an inch in the perilous track.

"Go to the rear, and we'll send them to hell!"

And the sound of the battle was lost in their yell.

Excerpt "Lee To The Rear"