Best DVD War/History movies

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to stop listening to reviews and simply buy A Bridge Too Far for X-Mas! Too many people here like it for it not to be a good movie.

All I know is that the book is great so far.

------------------

"The truth was that the Germans were losing faster than the Allies could win." - A Bridge Too Far

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey again. Here is what I decided on based on your responses and some research online. For my brother I'm buying Saving Pvt. Ryan, Gettysburgh (comes out Dec. 5th) and Das Boot ( Directors Cut). For myself, and I am surprised no one mentioned it, I'm getting Winter War. Thanks for the help.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Devils:

...Gettysburgh...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wahoo, my choice made the cut! be sure to check out seven samurai as a rental at the very least, you won't be disappointed...

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Guest AbnAirCav

... For myself, and I am surprised no one mentioned it, I'm getting Winter War.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't aware it was out on DVD, where did you find it?

Hmm, the other "Steiner" already mentioned most of the good ones, including both of our's favorite (as if you couldn't tell) Cross of Iron. Another excellent recent release on DVD is All Quiet on the Western Front (the 1979 version). The Thin Red Line on DVD is much better than the theater version (you can bypass the boring parts smile.gif)

------------------

Ob's stürmt oder schneit, ob die Sonne uns lacht, der Tag glühend heiß oder eiskalt die Nacht, bestaubt sind die Gesichter, doch froh ist unser sinn, ja unser sinn, es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin

-- Panzerlied

Winter war comes out on DVD on jan i think

As far as Docs go dont get the DVD 3 pack with D-DAY, Russian Front or Battle of Britian as it sucks.

Dont waste ya monnies people

All 3 docs are made by Aamericans and its pretty propagandry and full of ****.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

wahoo, my choice made the cut! be sure to check out seven samurai as a rental at the very least, you won't be disappointed...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Already own Seven Samurai, Ran, and Kagemusha. Winter War is available on DVD from "Belle 'n Blade" military books and videos catalog. I don't have the 1-800 -number for them right now but I can post it here later if anybody wants it.

I remember seeing "Come and see" in school, a long time ago. We were just kids and a couple of us started crying, can´t say I remember much of the movie other than it was frightenig ( I think i recall a scene where an einsatzguppe sets fire on a building with elders and children it it - a very schocking scen by any standards). Maybe it´s time to watch it again?

This time I´ll remember to have the napkins at hand.

Guest AbnAirCav

Winter War is available on DVD from "Belle 'n Blade" military books and videos catalog. I don't have the 1-800 -number for them right now but I can post it here later if anybody wants it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see it listed as being out on DVD at their website,http://www.belleandblade.com/, but I'll e-mail them and see what they say, thanx for the tip.

While we are speaking DVD... check out this site: http://www.dvdreview.com/

It will show you how to unlock some "secrets" on some of your DVD's.

Go to the HIDDEN FEATURES section.

Red Devil, Kagemusha is my fav of the samurai flicks. Little known compared to RAN, but much better IMO.

------------------

"The truth was that the Germans were losing faster than the Allies could win." - A Bridge Too Far

Update (correction?) on Winter War. Although

I received a catalog from Belle N Blade this week that had Winter War marked as a DVD I just called them (1800-230-5509) and they said it was not yet available on DVD. No date was given if or when it would be made available. Guess I'll have to scrath that one off my list. Sorry to get your hopes up. You can still order the video through them however and many war film critics consider it one of the best (anti)war films ever made. If I recall, it uses actual T-26 and T-28 tanks on loan from the USSR. Cheers.

Guest Silesian-jaeger

Red Devils operator must not have been updated. Winter War is available from Bell & Blade at $29.98 (US Dollars). It is item # WW910dvd. Happy hunting all!

------------------

"In one (German) town, Private Honey stood next to an

elderly German man and a ten-year-old boy. As the Shermans and brand-new

Pershings rumbled by the boy said,'Deutsches Panzer lind besser.' Honey

looked down at him and asked,'If

German tanks are better,

why aren't they here?' "

quote from Stephen E. Ambrose, "Citizen Soldiers"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

What's that one about Chupa?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

a woman is raped and her husband killed in the woods by a bandit in old japan. each tells their story in a trial type setting(including the woodsman through a seer). each version is different. was the woman raped or seduced or willing? who killed the woodsman? are they lying or telling it as each saw it?

added the word "Rashomon type flashback" to the film glossary. the technique is used a lot in movies: each character tells differing versions of the same event, like in "Courage Under Fire", which uses this technique.

Ran is also a very good Akira Kurasowa flick, as my friend said of the battle scenes: "they make me want to play shogun"

a japanese version of King Lear, it has cool lines, humor, totally cool evil, manipulative villainess(i heard a guy go "oh sh-t!" in the movie theater watching her do her stuff), tragedy, good battle scenes.

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 12-03-2000).]

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to stop listening to reviews and simply buy A Bridge Too Far for X-Mas! Too many people here like it for it not to be a good movie.

All I know is that the book is great so far.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Clark, Cornelius Ryan's book is fantastic, as are the other two I've read (The Longest Day and The Last Battle). The movie, however, is mediocre at best. Of course I wish I had a nickel for every time someone said, "The book was better than the movie." In fact The Longest Day is a great movie, and you're sorry when it's over, but A Bridge Too Far is simply not that good a movie. Heck, you could rent it once on video, and if you don't agree with me then you can buy it and what have you lost, $4? Unless it's not for you... Anyway, that's my opinion.

------------------

"C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre."

Guest Silesian-jaeger

Thanks Will! Good advice.

I guess I'll rent both Bridge and Longest Day, watch 'em back to back, and decide if I need either for X-Mas.

Now I'm REALLY confused about Winter War... IS IT available on DVD, or no?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Winter War is available at B&B. I confirmd by phone tonight. Ask for the code i listed above. Some war movie DVDs are reviewed at dvdreview.com

Is "When Trumpets Fade" available on DVD or VHS? I prefer DVD though.

Yes...from above the mention of the 3 pak DVD doc "russia" "Battle of Brittian" and "Battle for the Beach" is bad and not worth your money. It is US/allied based film and actually quite boring. I couldnt even finish the second DVD let alon get to the third one...which I still havent gotten to. Dont waste your money on this. I sell you mine for pennies.

of course i like many of the choices already mentioned, just thought i'd add a couple:

- peacekeepers, 1997 canadian movie

- peacekeepers, 1999 english miniseries

both are about peacekeeper troops in what used to be yugoslavia. the canadians patrol a village, while the english are a humanitarian mission. neither is exactly happy-go-lucky but IMHO the english one superbly illustrates how tough a humanitarian mission can be on the troops

oddly enough i saw one on bravo channel and the other on bbs america, both on the same weekend. haven't found either on tape or dvd though frown.gif anyone else have better luck?

[This message has been edited by elementalwarre (edited 12-04-2000).]

I remember a film made based on Team Yankee. I think. smile.gif I never saw it but heard that because of the end of the cold war it was toned down and actually ended with a snowball fight between the US and Russian troops. I think Roy Scheider (jaws fame) was the American CO. BTW I think it was panned and soon dropped from sight. Anyone actually see this one?

BTW

here's my list.

Battleground

first 1/2 hour of Saving Ryan's Privates

84 Charlie Mopic

Platoon

Apocalypse Now

Cross of Iron, book too!

Bridge too Far.

Sharpes Rifles, BBC series

Later

------------------