German 234 AC's - reverse speeds

Noticed that the WW2 German 8-wheeled 234/x vehicles reverse at a slower speed than forward in the game.  However, they have a rear-facing driver so they could travel as fast in reverse(?)

"The vehicle had eight-wheel steering and was able to quickly change direction thanks to a second, rear-facing, driver's seat; the transmission had six forward and reverse gears.  The Sd.Kfz. 232 employed an unusual dual driver arrangement, with one driver seated at each end of the vehicle. This allowed the vehicle to be driven in either direction (forward or backward) with equal ease."  

I might well ask you precisely the same question.  :mellow:

Let's put it another way.....Would you like to see 'Fire & Rubble' delayed while the primary programmer re-writes the movement code for one vehicle type (with 4 sub-variants) across several CM titles?

Because that what it sounds like you are asking for.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

22 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I might well ask you precisely the same question.  :mellow:

Let's put it another way.....Would you like to see 'Fire & Rubble' delayed while the primary programmer re-writes the movement code for one vehicle type (with 4 sub-variants) across several CM titles?

Because that what it sounds like you are asking for.  :rolleyes:

Of course not. But that's not Erwin's point. He just mentions something he noticed. As a valued and long time member of this forum he's entitled to speak his mind about it.

No need to be hostile about that.

Besides, there's no shortage of excuses for the endless delay of Fire and Rubble. Oeps, there I go again.

No, seriously, if it's something you want to be changed, that is precisely what you are asking.....Pixies & Fairies ain't going to make it happen because you guys wish it so!  :rolleyes:

Let's be honest.....The reversing speed of a particular armoured car, is not exactly the biggest issue with CM as it stands, there are many others.....Which to his credit @Erwin has pointed out.

However.....How many complaints threads do we really need?  What do they actually do for the wider community?  Can you make an AAR of a complaint? 

Why not try using what already we have to make something instead?  That way the time until 'Fire & Rubble' might seem to go a bit quicker.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

No, seriously, if it's something you want to be changed, that is precisely what you are asking.....Pixies & Fairies ain't going to make it happen because you guys wish it so!  :rolleyes:

Let's be honest.....The reversing speed of a particular armoured car, is not exactly the biggest issue with CM as it stands, there are many others.....Which to his credit @Erwin has pointed out.

However.....How many complaints threads do we really need?  What do they actually do for the wider community?  Can you make an AAR of a complaint? 

Why not try using what already we have to make something instead?  That way the time until 'Fire & Rubble' might seem to go a bit quicker.

I see your point, but defining justified frustration or justified criticism as malicious complaining also doesn't do any good for the wider community. And yet that's more and more what's happening.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Those 234 ACs always seemed to me like the most over designed, expensive things I'd ever seen.  I like shooting holes in them.  Then they have the correct speed forward & reverse, zero.

Maybe it's an easily fixed patch repair now that someone noticed it.

18 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Those 234 ACs always seemed to me like the most over designed, expensive things I'd ever seen.  I like shooting holes in them.  Then they have the correct speed forward & reverse, zero.

Maybe it's an easily fixed patch repair now that someone noticed it.

A man of drastic measures. I like your style. 😀

The reason I noticed the poor reverse speed is that while playing a scenario with several of the 8-wheelers the recon mods that seems to work is to FAST move one down a road towards a suspected ambush, and the just b4 that suspected danger zone, slam it into reverse.  Most times, an ambusher will use small arms and reveal himself, or if there is an AT weapon it is likely to miss if the vehicle can reverse fast enuff.  These AC's were designed to travel as fast in reverse with a rear-facing driver as forwards.  Hence my thought that reverse speed is something to add to the wish list - and IIRC all titles feature these AC's not just CMRT.

12 hours ago, Erwin said:

Noticed that the WW2 German 8-wheeled 234/x vehicles reverse at a slower speed than forward in the game.  However, they have a rear-facing driver so they could travel as fast in reverse(?)

"The vehicle had eight-wheel steering and was able to quickly change direction thanks to a second, rear-facing, driver's seat; the transmission had six forward and reverse gears.  The Sd.Kfz. 232 employed an unusual dual driver arrangement, with one driver seated at each end of the vehicle. This allowed the vehicle to be driven in either direction (forward or backward) with equal ease."  

The two drivers could also panic and try to drive at the same time? Don't take this question to serieus 😉

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

I do wonder how the rear driver would take control - or maybe the system works like in student driver cars, where the instructor can override the student.  So, the rear driver would actually have the override control.

I think it was the great Helmut Schmidt who once made a joke about the Italian army when he was told about the high reverse speed of the new German Leopard tank...

12 hours ago, Wicky said:

Can it hunt in reverse? 😉

Similar to the arse-about-face coding condundrums presented by the Valentine Archer.

Another flaw I experienced to keep out of effective range you would reverse the German big cats to maintain their superiority of their guns. Sure, you can reverse but unlike hunt the reaction to stop and fire is significantly slower or not at all. I don't think it can hunt in reverse. 

On 1/21/2021 at 7:21 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Would you like to see 'Fire & Rubble' delayed while the primary programmer re-writes the movement code for one vehicle type (with 4 sub-variants) across several CM titles?

To be fair, it wouldn't need re-writing any code. Just typing in a different movement speed for the reverse gear.

No one is expecting BF to stop everything to fix minor problems that may be more complex than they are worth.  As us old-timers know, there are many such items that have accumulated over the past 13 years.  It's simply one more item to add to the list - even if it takes a new CM3 engine to get them addressed.  But, at least the items can be known so that new players don't have to keep "reinventing the wheel" of discovering them.

It's also about distribution of said fix.  BFC probably has 50+ fixes it wants to do.  This is what patches are for.  Collect a bunch of fixes and publish all together.  They certainly can't just fix little things like this and put out a new version because some not very important APC reverses too slowly -- they'd have dozens of code versions in no time, a maintenence and support nightmare.  Of course, maybe that particular APC had transmission issue and just needs maintenence (kidding:)), given it's an over-designed, absurdly expensive vehicle in the first place.  Considering my main use for this vehicle is recon-by-death, I am not concerned, though I respect that some find this intolerable.

this is the great blessing and curse of BFC community.  Folks here really, really know their stuff.  And they are really, really picky.