CMA remake on CMx3?

Rice

With Lord Steve mentioning CMA in the Welcome to 2021 thread, I think it's fair to speculate about a modern revival of CMA could be a port/upgrade onto the new CMx3 engine (whenever that would release). Crowdfunding has already been discussed more than a few times throughout the forum and it would be nice to see if the developers would let it get the Fortress Italy treatment assuming they get the go ahead from the Russian devs. Anyone else have thoughts?

I think that if they wanted to have a CMA game they would just do it. I don't understand why they would need permission from the Russian developer? Just call it a different name and redo the missions and maps. The Russian developers don't have the rights to the Afghan war, OOBs, Operations or the layout of the terrain. CMA is so old you would have an easier time starting from scratch or reskining and adapting mechanics from Shock Force 2 instead of updating the code.

Maybe they signed something where they can't have another game set in this conflict? That would suck.

But if we are having a new CMA game, please try to respect Soviet doctrine of leaving the squad leader inside the AFV and give us an option to detach him independently!

1 hour ago, Suchy said:

The workload is negligible because the engine is CMSF2 and the vast majority of the equipment too. And the Syrian units have an organization similar to the 1980s Red Army. Anyway, there are mods that give Afghanistan in CMSF2.

A lot of people I know say just buy SF2 instead of CMA because you basically get the same unit composition lol.

10 hours ago, Suchy said:

Anyway, there are mods that give Afghanistan in CMSF2.

Yes, but not the Soviets in Afghanstan, which is what we are talking about.....Making that happen would be a lot more difficult than you imagine.  Not least because if the modders took the most elegant route modelwise all the Soviets would speak Arabic/Pushtu.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yes, but not the Soviets in Afghanstan, which is what we are talking about.....Making that happen would be a lot more difficult than you imagine.  Not least because if the modders took the most elegant route modelwise all the Soviets would speak Arabic/Pushtu.

If these lockdowns ever end & my work schedule returns to normal the 'People's Beta' should be quickly wrapped up... AFTER that I'll undoubtedly need a break from SE Asia & Afghanistan is looking a good bet for a quick conversion package for CMSF2.

I've become fairly adept at converting CMA scenario's (& even small campaigns) into CMSF2 as I find the mountainous terrain & (essentially) Red vs Red battles very useful to me... this week I've converted two more scenarios from @Fredrock1957's "Major Nosov's Brigade" for instance.

I'd probably like to hook up with (at the very least) @Zveroboy1 & yourself for such a project... there'd be far fewer tags that's for sure (Lowlands, Mountains, Snow & something to activate the 1980's* would be the primary tags & virtually all that work has already been done).

As for the Soviets, although their uniforms could be easily represented by an era specific tag, the voices would indeed be an issue.

For single player scenarios & campaigns, a voice tag a bit like our H&E [rvnaf] tag could be used to add flavour for the appropriate side (with regards FO voices & aircraft voices) however we would either need to make a "generic voice mod" (laughing, whistling, screams, equipment sounds etc) for the 80's OR we could just pretend that the Soviets merely provided air & arty support for a very well equipped DRA.

*The modern era would turn the Syrians into ANA, the 80's tag would turn the various Syrian branches into DRA & Soviet forces.

10 hours ago, 37mm said:

my work schedule returns to normal the 'People's Beta' should be quickly wrapped up... AFTER that I'll undoubtedly need a break from SE Asia & Afghanistan is looking a good bet for a quick conversion package for CMSF2.

I've become fairly adept at converting CMA scenario's (& even small campaigns) into CMSF2 as I find the mountainous terrain & (essentially) Red vs Red battles very useful to me... this week I've converted two more scenarios from @Fredrock1957's "Major Nosov's Brigade" for instance.

...respect...

Edited by Erwin

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

...respect...

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

+1   Probably fair to say that you have broken many boundaries and greatly expanded what the game is capable of representing.   

I'd forgotten just how devilish "Major Nosovs Brigade" was until I quickly playtested the "Garden Valley" conversion... geez that scenario can go south pretty quickly!

210116084343457477.png

210116084343675204.png

210116084341339264.png

210116084341593178.png

"Major Nguyens Command" will (obviously) have many differences with the original but it should be unique fare for the majority of CMSF2 players.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:42 PM, 37mm said:

I'd forgotten just how devilish "Major Nosovs Brigade" was until I quickly playtested the "Garden Valley" conversion

It's very nicely done and usually rewards a bit of patience and forethought.  B)

On 1/16/2021 at 10:59 PM, Rangoon said:

An updated CMA would be outstanding! I keep wanting to fire it up again, but since CMSF2 released, it's just not going to happen. I would definitely purchase an updated CMA.

More likely to encourage the latter by actually playing what we have IMHO.....The CM:A section of the forum is like a fekkin graveyard and will remain so unless people actually play the game and post about it.  You won't generate any interest by ignoring it.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 1/17/2021 at 6:35 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

More likely to encourage the latter by actually playing what we have IMHO.....The CM:A section of the forum is like a fekkin graveyard and will remain so unless people actually play the game and post about it.  You won't generate any interest by ignoring it.

CMA is still alive in our hearts. A few people still play it. (Including me)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/25/2021 at 8:19 AM, Rice said:

CMA is still alive in our hearts. A few people still play it. (Including me)

Recently purchased CM: Afghanistan and I’m really enjoying it, so different from CM Red Thunder.  Yes, the older engine doesn’t have the elegance of 4.0, but I like the terrain and the challenges introduced by such mountainous engagements. I seem to be great at killing my own infantry with Hinds.  I hope my purchase assures BF there is still interest in this title and a remake would be warmly received (via my wallet).

And learning about the Soviet-Afghan conflict, wow, I hadn’t fully appreciated how the repercussions of this war have so greatly impacted Western foreign policy.

10 hours ago, nox_plague said:

Recently purchased CM: Afghanistan and I’m really enjoying it, so different from CM Red Thunder.  Yes, the older engine doesn’t have the elegance of 4.0, but I like the terrain and the challenges introduced by such mountainous engagements. I seem to be great at killing my own infantry with Hinds.  I hope my purchase assures BF there is still interest in this title and a remake would be warmly received (via my wallet).

And learning about the Soviet-Afghan conflict, wow, I hadn’t fully appreciated how the repercussions of this war have so greatly impacted Western foreign policy.

nox-plague: 37mm has done an enormous amount of work on his mod and campaign, so you should find everything you want.

FYI: CMA was made by another company working with BF, but they made weird changes that made it mostly incompatible with the other CM titles and the relationship soured.  There is probably a controversial ownership issue so almost impossible to update.