How to get your CMSF2 game on Steam

On 8/20/2020 at 7:13 AM, DerKommissar said:

Speaking of which... will the steam version have automatic patching?

I'd like to know this too.  To me, this is the biggest benefit to having the game on Steam as the current process is a royal PITA. 

I see the prices have been discounted here enough now that it may entice me to buy at least one of the modules.  Seems there's no benefit to getting the bundle as the price is the same now.  Will the bundle be available on Steam at some point?

Well, after a whole lot of dikking around, much, much more than I ever experienced with normal BFC patches/installs, etc., I finally got the key.  But before I bother loading it on Steam...what happens with mods I want to use in the game?  Do I have to load them in the Steam/CMSF2 folder in my C drive, or just load them normal in the "Documents/Battlefront/etc. mod folder?

Can confirm mods will work.

They need to go in a folder named "Z" in SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Data. You'll probably have to make the folder, but it works. They don't work if you put them in UserData/Mods, which confused me for a while.

On 8/23/2020 at 6:35 PM, 111thGameBn said:

I personally find Steam to be rather inconvenient because of the load time for both Steam itself and the game. I don't buy/put anything on Steam if I can get it anywhere else.

It's funny that you say that.....I've kinda always felt the same way. And I use it so infrequently that not only does it take a long time to open but it always wants to update the software too. That said, there are also a lot of advantages on Steam. Like the games being "self patching" and all of your games "travel" with you to wherever you have Steam installed. There's no perfect system.

22 hours ago, Hapless said:

Can confirm mods will work.

They need to go in a folder named "Z" in SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\Data. You'll probably have to make the folder, but it works. They don't work if you put them in UserData/Mods, which confused me for a while.

Unfortunate that the "mods" folder is not working. That is going to cause a lot of confusion.

Edited by akd

Hi all.
I have just redeemed the Steam keys for my game and DLCs. Now, Steam wants to install them, re-downloading all the files.
But I have everything already installed in my PC, so is it possible to avoid re-downloading?
Is it possible to move the old BFC installation in the Steam folder(s)?
Or should I first uninstall the old version and then let Steam download the files (4+ GB of data)?
Thank you for the help.

17 hours ago, paolot said:

Hi all.
I have just redeemed the Steam keys for my game and DLCs. Now, Steam wants to install them, re-downloading all the files.
But I have everything already installed in my PC, so is it possible to avoid re-downloading?
Is it possible to move the old BFC installation in the Steam folder(s)?
Or should I first uninstall the old version and then let Steam download the files (4+ GB of data)?
Thank you for the help.

Steam needs to install the game in its own file system to work properly, so yes you should let Steam install it.  You can copy over your UserData folder from your original install to its new location in steam and that should get all your scenarios (that aren't stock) and saves into the Steam install.*  Not sure on the exact path for Steam, but all Steam games are normally in Steam\steamapps\common.

*If you have your mods in the "Mods" folder under UserData, this does not appear to currently be read in the Steam install.  You would need to create a "Z" folder under "Data" instead and put all mods there.  Because that was the "old way" with Combat Mission, you may already have your mods there in your original install.  You should also copy over the hotkeys.txt file from UserData to Data as I've heard some people reporting problems with hotkeys on their Steam installs.

Got mine keys today for base game and Marines and NATO modules. Also just bought the missing British one with 30% discount, so now i have the whole package. It's very convinient to have everything in one place. For me Steam is that place. Hope to see every other CM title on Steam soon! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 7:35 PM, Collingwood said:

Years ago I owned all modules for Shock Force, but for Mac

With steam keys being available, does this mean that now I can buy the complete upgrade package for v2, then install it for PC instead via Steam?

If so, that would be awesome. Thank you

I'm pretty sure that will work. A while ago BFC made keys work for either platform so if you update to CMSF2 you can choose to play on a PC and you can have those keys moved over to steam.

If I recall correctly you need to contact support to get your old CMSF1 game upgraded to CMSF2, press the blue new ticket button here: Scenario List - local

Edited by IanL
fixed link

Thank you IanL. Just confirming that I was able to purchase the Upgrade Bundle for CMSF2, then register my license for SF2 and all 3 modules on my Slitherine account page. Then get the steam keys, redeem them on steam, download, voi-la!

I think the move to making BF games available on Steam is a good idea, hopefully it works out and more games are released there.

Edited by Collingwood

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Have never used Steam so please forgive me for some basic questions.

If you have Steam installed and get your appropriate key from Matrix is it then possible to play live, human v human CM through Steam? Maybe you login to their server and then invite/accept from others on their server?

Sorry for basic question.

Thanks.

All the best,

Kip.

Hello, aroused by CM being available on Steam, I'm trying to get back to it.

Can you pelase tell me if the products below qualifies as CMSF2, and if so, which serial should I input on Slitherine's website?

CMSF1 Big Bundle Upgrade
CMSF1-UPB2
https://battlefront.sharefile.com/share/view/s5335e41e5c84a91b
(...)

CMSF Original 3 Module Bundle
CMSF-B3V1
https://battlefront.sharefile.com/d-scd7868bb7b94104a
(...)

v1.21 Retail Upgrade
CMSF-UPV1
https://battlefront.sharefile.com/d-s9f899d5fe5f4ba69
(...)