"Exemption" is a sprawling Soviet Op Bagration docudrama

"Exemption: The Direction of the Main Attack" is a gigantic 1971 2-hour Russian language film (crisp, clear English subtitles) which covers Operation Bagration from the Tehran Conference to the Polish border. The costs must've been astronomic, not least because there are hordes of real T-34/85s attacking in it, along with tons of infantry, as well as some IS-3s, ZIS-3s, SUs, even Katyushas. Many other surprises await. The text on the page claim it was shot on location, with no decorations, which I presume means sets. "Exemption" takes you from the strategic planning down to the sapper work to get tanks through the "impassable" Pripyat marshes, including the attack down corduroy roads. All the major players, including Stalin, Roosevelt, Churchill and Hitler, are in it and well acted. Everyone speaks the appropriate language, too. The visuals, from the lowest level to the highest, are amazing. The armored attacks have to be seen to be believed. Frankly my mind is still reeling, for it feels as though I've just finished a much longer film, not because it dragged, but because my brain has had to take in such enormous amounts of visual and audio information. If you knew nothing about Operation Bagration before coming to CMBS, this would be a phenomenal short course. Found the film because I watched "Shtrafbat" and got served "Exemption."

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Warts 'n' All,

Please explain. I don't understand what you're saying.

JulianJ,

Hope you get it sorted out so you can see the film.

Frenchy56,

True, and I was so exhausted I forgot to mention that. Moreover, it's not consistently desynchronized throughout. Can say that I know enough Russian to be sure that not everything said shows up in the subtitles. Sure wish they showed the song lyrics!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Brother George, who isn't a CMer, wants to do a hybrid board game driving a large game table battle with 15 mm minis and posed a question I couldn't directly answer.

A GTR Tank Regiment is 21 IS-2, broken down to two battalions of 10 tanks and 1 command tank; each battalion is composed of of two 5-tank companies, each of 2 tank platoons of 2 tanks plus 1 command tank. From what I can tell, trailing 200-300 meters behind the T-34/85s, a IS-2 company of 5 tanks which would support a T-34/85 battalion of 31 tanks organized in the familiar way. Let's say this is correct.

What he wants to know is what happens to after the tanks burst through gap in the echeloned defenses created by artillery, air and infantry and begin exploitation and pursuit? What do the Stalins do then? Is the speed of advance tied to the IS-2s? If it is not, the speedier T-34/85s will simply leave the IS-2s eating dust as they perform what the British would call the cruiser tank role. Tank Encyclopedia has several descriptions of a GTR hiving off a IS-2 battalion of 10 tanks for an important combat task. George has Zaloga's IS-2 book, Milsom's book and am not sure what else, but so far hasn't been able to answer that question himself. He needs to know the answer so that he can set up properly on the table for the German counterattack/s after the line is breached. Does anyone know the answer or at least where to find it? We'd appreciate any and all help on this. Thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

46 minutes ago, JulianJ said:

Found it on Youtube.  A bit ponderous.  The title is actually "Liberation" which makes more sense - it's in the main cinema titles.

Well, you could just have clicked on the title of the video here in this thread.

Edited by Frenchy56

It's actually from 1972, which explains some things.  However I would give it a C at best. Gigantic battlescenes don't excuse a completely uninvolving plot, lack of characterisation, dull script - read like a transcript of meetings, no POV characters, static camerawork, poor acting and the "cowboys and indians" deaths. I did perk up  at the July Bomb plot and it was nice to see so  many T34s.

Thanks John!

I salute you for all the interesting historical stuff you bring to the forum.

And my three cents on this is:

1) He did say it was a docudrama.

2) If you think it lacks certain items to make it a better film then consider this. It is a product of the Soviet film industry of 1972.

3) Ken Burns is not a party member.

Thanks John, from a fellow Shtrafbat watcher (currently about halfway).  As to your post, I believe this is part of a 5 film series, as mentioned above.  The rest can be found  on same channel (the official "Mosfilm" Youtube channel) in the playlist I have linked below.  In the first film, detailing operation "Citadel"/The battle of Kursk in 1943, which is all I have seen so far, keep an eye out for T64s/T72s (?) used in place of T34s, and the apparent mixing up of the Tiger/Panther (Tiger ("our newest tank") being sent back for more armour because it was penetrated from the front by Soviet AT guns?) at the start of the film.

• 3 weeks later...

fireship4,

Watched "Liberation: Bulge of Fire " last night and enjoyed it. Noticed some T-62s in the film, but was absolutely fascinated to see IS-3s as well. The Tiger 1 VISMODs were well done, and I was intrigued by the Panther VISMODs on what I believe were on IS chassis some sort. That whole Tiger live fire test was a bit bizarre, but what I think really happened was the attack was postponed until the Panthers could be rushed in--so they could do little but break down or catch fire! Was surprised to see no 45 mm ATGs at all, yet they were the single most common ATG then. Nor was there a single T-34/76 to be seen, either. That said, seeing the ZIS-3s being fought was great, and you can tell quickly why it wasn't as good as the PaK 40 when you look at the stubby cartridge case for the ZIS-3. 

Regards,

John Kettler

This is "Liberation: Battle for Berlin" and the penultimate film (in a series of 5) in a series which is a continuous string of victories until the fall of Berlin, beginning at Kursk. The Wiki on the series is quite a read, and the behind this monumental film epic is both complex and nuanced. Among other things, this was the reappearance of Stalin in war films, the portrayal of Germans as real people and the fact that actors had to get approval from their historical counterparts. One lost his job because the general got tired of being pestered with questions! Has tons of great visuals, including the very distinctive area around the Fuhrerbunker. It isn't every day you get to see an entire battalion of IS-3s on the screen, plus what I think were Su-100s, not to mention scads of T-34/85s. The IS-3s, though never in combat as best can be determined, sure look impressive as they crawl relentlessly forward. There is also an anomalous BTR-152. What I don't see are the distinctive broad white stripes on AFVs and other vehicles to instantly ID friendlies. Lots of skin possibilities, too, not just as to well-worn, dinged up appearance of the AFVs and other vehicles, but the buildings themselves, not to mention what the ground and forestation look like. Remember, this was shot on location, not the MGM backlot or what have you. Looked at one of the tank battle scenes and all I could think of was "Eat your heart out, Darryl Zanuck." Another great thing about this is we get to see the Polish troops in action. All the major players are represented--on both sides. Hitler looks shattered, Roosevelt looks like a corpse which missed the "you're dead" memo, Churchill maybe even more obese than historically, and Stalin is like watching the real one. He is superbly acted. Overall, I think it provides a very good look at the strategic, and operational strategic framework for the events. It also presents a useful chronology and ongoing maps of Russian actions and German attempts to stop them. Though the video won't play directly here, the YT link works fine. Finally, I can now report the Tiger 1s were built from T-44s and the Panthers--wait for it--from IS-2s, both because the filmmakers couldn't get real ones despite trying hard.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

The Wiki referenced provided a tidbit regarding "Liberation: Bulge of Fire." The original plan was to shoot on the Kursk battlefield, but there was so much UXO present it was so hazardous that the shoot  had to relocate elsewhere and then build the necessary trenches, bunkers, gun positions and the like. 

Edited by John Kettler

Here is Liberation: The Final Assault." It ends the series in spectacular fashion. Two things particularly stand out amidst the intense fighting depicted: ISU-152s and the heavy use of Panzerfausts inside the Reichschancelery. In reality, they were used for mouse holing from one basement to the next in row housing (which must've been fairly exciting) and before that tactic was developed, firing from basement windows and slaughtering a hefty portion of the ~400 tanks destroyed in Berlin. Have not ever seen any statement they were used to storm the Reichchschancelery, but with the large spaces there, it doesn't seem unreasonable to exclude them. Speaking of tanks destroyed, I forgot to mention in the prior post that the film there showed the breakthrough at Kustrin but not the massacre of Zhukov's armor at Seelowe Heights, presumably because that would've spoiled the triumphant narrative if depicted. It rates about two sentences and no visuals other than generals talking. Sadly, a good bit of the dialogue wasn't translated. SAG would never have stood for it, but there were enough explosives expended to have been a credible small battle all by themselves. Not that namby-pamby Hollywood napalm nonsense, either. 

Regards,

John Kettler

My mates and I were drinking brews and watching whatever on youtube. We chanced upon this series -- and after seeing one film, we were hooked. We saw most of the series, out of order. It's got big bombasting battles and cool history tid bits for days. You really don't need to know the language to understand what's going on. In a way, I prefer it to American war films, which are usually focused on personal stories (loved Hacksaw Ridge a lot, though), rather than the outright carnage.

I still remember a brutal scene where two tank crews bail out of knocked out tanks, and continue their fight hand-to-hand.  Gotta give Mosfilm and Lenfilm mad props for making their films widely accessible. 

• 2 weeks later...