Sgt.Squarehead's CM:SF2 Stuff

On 12/16/2020 at 3:46 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I remember something along those lines being reported right back when CM:SF2 was first released.....Sounds like one for @IanL or @MOS:96B2P to check out (wondering if it's because the map was ported directly fom CM:SF1).  :unsure:

I know I ran into that in map design, but once you saved and opened it was normal.  Never saw it during an actual game.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:22 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cool.....I've never actually played it all the way through in CM:SF2, so I'll be interested to see how it looks as the battle progresses.

I went for a certain atmosphere when designing this, IIRC @sburke described it as "A descent into Hell!"  ;)

Yeah that was a pretty good description.  Fun scenario.  May have to go try it again.  Have had almost no CM time for a while and am going through withdrawal.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:25 PM, Erwin said:

You still working on Hornets Nest or is this the final version?

Anything I'm still working on has the preface [Test] in the title.....As I explained before, this is the (long ago finished) original scenario, ported to CM:SF2 and slightly modified to make sure that it works as intended (Hence 'Min-Fix').

There is also a [Test] Ashsh-Al-Dababir (SF2), which is a full re-write using all the CM:SF2 scripting toys.....That one's a long way from done (it will be completely different, possibly not even featuring CTS, possibly moved to my OSIRIS mileu).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Apparently my CM maps are too small!  :(

Do you see the little 'village' on the horizon here:

CnipVUT.jpg

That would be Bishr:

JnWhzzN.jpg

They can take quite a while to finish off for some reason.....I must be slow or something.  ;)

PS - Full Disclosure.....I didn't make the basic map, it was done by some crazy genius for CM:SF1 (and left with a note saying he'd run out of steam and hoped someone would finish it off, so I am).....My hat is off to him.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 1/19/2021 at 5:23 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Apparently my CM maps are too small!  :(

Do you see the little 'village' on the horizon here:

CnipVUT.jpg

That would be Bishr:

JnWhzzN.jpg

They can take quite a while to finish off for some reason.....I must be slow or something.  ;)

PS - Full Disclosure.....I didn't make the basic map, it was done by some crazy genius for CM:SF1 (and left with a note saying he'd run out of steam and hoped someone would finish it off, so I am).....My hat is off to him.  B)

+1.  I didn't see this post until today.  Looks like it would be good for an amphibious operation among others.  

• 2 weeks later...

Imam Ahmad issues the Sunni call to prayer, while his driver & bodyguard attempt to fix the motor of his old taxi:

ndwRkNG.jpg

His melodic but haunting chant reaches the ears of the local garrison & militia forces, many of them devout Sunnis:

yvihFpq.jpg

Will their commander allow them to attend prayers, with rumours that the infamous OSIRIS Black Brigades are active in the vicinity?  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

hGeHwIm.jpg

A pro-NATO Sunni Militiaman investigates an 'Unusual Ocurrence' in an occupied city.  :ph34r:

Anyone (with all the modules) want to give him (& me) a hand (for about thirty-five turns)? 

Looks interesting but got too much in the basket already! Haven't really got to continuing with the Hornets nest, but when I have a couple of free CM hours without turns etc to do I'll surely continue it.

9 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

You get used to it, back in Perth I still woke up at 6 am. Don't make jokes either, like Halal Fried Egg. Sunni Side Up they can't take a joke. 

Not everyone appreciates the same jokes, but I can guarantee that their are a lot of people inside your 'they' group that can take jokes very well. Anyway very off topic.

26 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Looks interesting but got too much in the basket already!

It's kinda violent and features very small units.....One of the issues I face with testing scenarios is 'How daunting does this look to the player?' 

As the designer I know there are dozens of potential avenues of approach through convoluted streets and blocks of interconnected buildings and I know where they are too.....But the player won't, he'll have to discover them by trial and error. 

What I'm trying to get right now is giving the player the tools to avoid making too many errors and balancing the cost of any errors that they do make, to avoid inducing a 'rage-quit'.

Population Density is set to Very Heavy, so units can get very close without making contact.....The scout in the image above entered some buildings with a short 1800 frontal target arc and saw some very scary things, so he left pronto with the arc still up.  In the next turn he wound up running down an alley, following about 3m behind an OSIRIS gunman!  The gunman never saw him and he never opened up because of the target arc which was now 1800 behind him, by the end of the turn they had gone their seperate ways!

The biggest issue I'm having with this scenario right now is the lack of radios (Again!  :rolleyes:).....I'm adding a provisional rule for this whereby, Spies & Spy Forward Observer units are deemed to be in mobile phone contact with all other units.  Any unit may act on information gathered by one of these units.

@Battlefront.com  This Red radio/C2 thing really needs to be addressed.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

26 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It's kinda violent and features very small units.....One of the issues I face with testing scenarios is 'How daunting does this look to the player?' 

As the designer I know there are dozens of potential avenues of approach through convoluted streets and blocks of interconnected buildings and I know where they are too.....But the player won't, he'll have to discover them by trial and error. 

What I'm trying to get right now is giving the player the tools to avoid making too many errors and balancing the cost of any errors that they do make, to avoid inducing a 'rage-quit'.

Population Density is set to Very Heavy, so units can get very close without making contact.....The scout in the image above entered some buildings with a short 1800 frontal target arc and saw some very scary things, so he left pronto with the arc still up.  In the next turn he wound up running down an alley, following about 3m behind an OSIRIS gunman!  The gunman never saw him and he never opened up because of the target arc which was now 1800 behind him, by the end of the turn they had gone their seperate ways!

The biggest issue I'm having with this scenario right now is the lack of radios (Again!  :rolleyes:).....I'm adding a provisional rule for this whereby, Spies & Spy Forward Observer units are deemed to be in mobile phone contact with all other units.  Any unit may act on information gathered by one of these units.

@Battlefront.com  This Red radio/C2 thing really needs to be addressed.

That is interesting, because the Arab Spring is unthinkable without mobile phones. You need to have an urban setting with the infrastructure still functioning. Their headquarters can have a more expensive satellite phone. They can even communicate through social media. It should be accessible in that case for the Blue Side as they have their intelligence services. Thanks for keeping us updated. 

• 8 months later...

The (minimally fixed for CM:SF2) version of 'Ashsh Al Dababir' can be found here:

5rwLGCr.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xquinou6isabytd/Ashsh al-Dababir (CMSF2-MinFix).btt?dl=0

@Bootie Could I trouble you to add this one to TSD (in the absence of a more fully updated version).....This one still works OK and it's primal savagery from start to finish, but I can & will do it (& further Mosul stuff) better in due course.  ;)

@mjkerner  You still up for some CTS uniforms at some point (Probably based on Canadian Infantry), @37mm You still up for a basic Canadian to Arabic voice mod and a couple of (trivial by your standards) weapon swaps?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead