Sgt.Squarehead's CM:SF2 Stuff

So it starts. I have ordered a nice diagonal 155 mission to keep Daesh scum busy, if it breaks their HQ than good riddance :-). I sort of hoped to help the civilians keep their head attached using the artillery, while I secure my end of the map. First firefight started on this side. From the looks of it I'll be needing that ammo 😜

13921255_cmshockforce2.exeScreenshot2020_11.30-22_21_03_93.thumb.png.0450cda1c58464a300f3d6dc82a92b6c.png

570583043_cmshockforce2.exeScreenshot2020_11_30-22_25_30_41.thumb.png.7fbe6ad2773937b613d1b8ed74558430.png

Ammo Shouldn't be an issue.....Or it didn't seem to be in CM:SF1.  :unsure:

I'd be interested to know if it does become a problem here (I'm not 100% sure if CM:SF1 & CM:A made much distinction between ammo types, reloading wth NATO ammo seemed to keep the WarPac weapons firing, it certainly filled up the CM:SF1 'ammo bars').

If it does become a serious issue in CM:SF2 I'll just have to add some supply trucks.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

My PKMs come with only 100rnds, I haven't tried if they can fire 7.62 NATO and whether those AK-74s can fire 5.56, but BFC being BFC I doubt that and it would probably qualify for a bug 😂.
Have to do a PBEM turn but will get back to it after, will let you know.

Seems like a interesting mission!

10 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

155 mission to keep Daesh scum busy, if it breaks their HQ than good riddance

That's the spirit.....AFAIK only one person has captured it intact (and that wasn't me).  ;)

Just don't break the mosque!

You'd have to start levelling whole blocks to be sure of loosing the battle on the basis of 'Collateral Damage'.

4 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

My PKMs come with only 100rnds

Bugger it.....That's a CM:SF1 remnant (the Core was imported directly)!  :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

I haven't tried if they can fire 7.62 NATO and whether those AK-74s can fire 5.56, but BFC being BFC I doubt that and it would probably qualify for a bug 😂.

I doubt it in CM:SF2.....I'm not sure if was a real thing or just my imagination in CM:SF1 & CM:A (but the ammo in the original mission did suffice, several people have competed it).

Looks like it's supply truck time.....FFS, after all this time! 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 minute ago, Lethaface said:

Well it's an easy thing to put in at least I guess 🙂

Reinforcement slots are the one thing that CM:SF2 doesn't give you more of.....So it will require some fiddling (but not too much). 

However, if I'm doing that I might as well add an exit zone so you don't have to baby-sit the civilians, then I could maybe make the AI scripts reactive and more complex.....etc. 

That's is how it always starts!  :D

Parking a couple of UAZ-469s in a side street would do the trick.....In fact, I'll do it for you:

5rwLGCr.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xquinou6isabytd/Ashsh al-Dababir (Min-Fix).btt?dl=0

Now with 2000rnds 7.62x54mm (4 dismounted UAZ-469s from CTS Core on map at start).  ;)

PS - Hint - you have an insane amount of .50cal ammo, it would be a shame not to use it.  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Thanks! that's quick :)

In the meantime I had quickly added some immobilized BMP-3, as they come with plenty of those rounds. I gave all the PKM squads 500rnds and just back into it. This time however my troops fired some extra thermobaric rounds at the Mosque, one wallpanel of one of the minarets has been blown out.
Although I'm not that worried about the negative propaganda, all true believers will cheer the cleansing of this place of worship from this filth ;-).

Edit: don't worry about that .50 ammo, it's a favorite cartridge of my pixeltruppen.

Edited by Lethaface

13 hours ago, Erwin said:

Just curious, I had an older version.  What changed with the min fix version?

A technical thing that I'd rather not explain as it would be a bit of a spoiler.  :ph34r:

The version you had is the CM:SF1 original, I'd guess you copied across yourself as I've never posted that one in a CM:SF2 thread.....I'd be mighty impresed if you can spot (the non UAZ-469/Ammo related) changes between the two!  :D

Suffice it to say that I discovered a minor difference between how the new and old versions of CM:SF implement a particular feature that I was relying on in my scripting, so I made a very small change to ensure that it would work.

Plus now of course.....2000rnds of 7.62x54mm.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Hmmm.....I wonder if my (Syrian SOF) would use US/NATO gear if it were available via buddy-aid (I don't want to use modded US troops, I want them spreaking Arabic).

In theory I could make a map with several clusters of US/NATO troops sat on several dozen lightweight IEDs, scattering the bigger ones around the map for 'Special Effects' purposes. 

When the player clicks the big red button, they all go off, taking out all the US/NATO units and somewhat randomly remodelling large sections of the map (with care I can get 99% IED detonation/target destruction and I can typically eliminate 90%+ of the triggermen too).....Let's call this 'Prepping the map'. 

The actual units then enter on the first possible reinforcement at Turn 5.....But would they 'pick up the gun'?

@MOS:96B2P  If any one might know.....

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Hmmm.....I wonder if my (Syrian SOF) would use US/NATO gear if it were available via buddy-aid (I don't want to use modded US troops, I want them spreaking Arabic).

In theory they should buddy aid some of it as long as they are on the same side and not "spies".  Testing would be needed to confirm the theory and also see if it was done consistently and in enough quantity to be useful.  Then if they would use the equipment over what they were issued.    

They do, check this s**t out:

XZNG09w.jpg

Just modifying my test mission to ensure there's plenty of guns & ammo for a CTS Company (Blowing up a US Infantry Battalion should do the trick).....Yup!  Just watched a CTS Javelin Team lay waste to an ISIS position!  I do need to cut down the number of SAWs in the donor force a bit, or everyone will have one!  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Quick, dirty & savage 45min proof of concept scenario:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5femdjdkdfvew3/[Test] CTSBuddyAid.btt?dl=0

Play as Blue only. 

CTS arrive Turn 5. 

ISIS Spawn in ruins Turn 15 & 30.

PS - There's a lot of IEDs lying around at the end of this one, that's not what I was testing (& all the triggermen die on Turn 1).  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 3 weeks later...

Continued with my save of the Hornets nest a bit. Something funny happened:

272795105_BaseProfileScreenshot2020_12.16-22_33_46_23.thumb.png.1d6c2275ea05c0b3641314ee0b64c580.png

867979106_BaseProfileScreenshot2020_12.16-22_33_52_96.thumb.png.e28be6845e1e8ad6609e9331ead846e5.png

Turns out, the more times you replay the turn, the minaret will lower into the building 🙂

(it starts normal, the above is after I played it through many times to check if I was really noticing it moving).

Save provided for who wants to try.Ashsh al-Dababir (The Hornets' Nest)2 - fun.bts

Edited by Lethaface

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@Lethaface  Did you ever finish this one?  :unsure:

No, good point to remind me though. Got in a couple of turns but work deadlines, Christmas and ongoing PBEMs didn't have time to play with this one and it moved off radar.
Will look into continuing my save soon! I was enjoying the battle. 

Cheers, appreciate it.  B)

Couple of pointers for anyone giving this a go:

1 - Have a plan and set up accordingly.....It doesn't really matter what it is, but definitely have one (it will encourage you to study the map, which is important). 

2 - Split all your CTS squads and equip the section that doesn't have an RPG-29 with the SMAAWs & Ammo from the Nyala MRAPs (this gives most of your sections the firepower of an older MBT).

3 - Study the map carefully and plot your movement point by point, especially through the buildings.

4 - Use demolition charges sparingly as, despite me maxing out your supply, you don't have very many.

5 - If it looks like it might be a trap, it probably is (this ISIS you are fighting after all, if they were nice it wouldn't be so much fun killing them).  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead