Sgt.Squarehead's CM:SF2 Stuff

I think I've finally finished converting LJF-Huge Rural to CM:SF2.....9km2 (3km x 3km) of sparsely settled rough and arid terrain for you to cheerfully blow to oblivion!  :D

This is only a conversion of an existing map, so the vast bulk of the credit for this map lies with the original designer.....If anyone could let me know who that actually was, I'd be very grateful?

Anyhow.....I've added a real river, two road and one rail bridges (& thus also, a railway line, obviously).  I've also tried to use a few of the new terrain types here & there to add a bit more variety to what was already an outstanding map:

Blank Map (No AI, No Setup Zones, No Objectives, No Labels.....Nothing!):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cp1dib3sdqq7op8/[Map] Huge Arid Valley.btt?dl=0

Blank Map labelled as Mtope River Valley (A completely fictional area somewhere in the vastness of the African Sahel.....Allegedly home to radical Salamist militants and the jihadists of Al Kebab.  :ph34r:):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9uol3jzs9xvvjz/[Map] Mtope Valley.btt?dl=0

Here's a few 'postcards' from some of the valley's bigger settlements:

9iCgxUH.jpg

tZh8izY.jpg

hsybZid.jpg

FjWar73.jpg

& one showing a couple of the bridges:

scsAnbA.jpg

The approach to the bridges isn't as perfect as I'd ideally like, AFAIK because of the slightly elevated island I've placed in the river.....If this bothers you, lowering the islands to water level under the bridges or removing them entirely should sort it out (I do have my reasons for doing it this way).  :ph34r:

Finally.....Have a small bog:

Px5N38i.jpg

Mostly because I'm just too frazzled after doing all this to come up with anything more imaginative !  :blink:

As ever feel free to use or modify this map in any way that pleases you.....I'm kind of glad to see the back of it TBH!  ;)

Next up.....Bishr (Redux).  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 weeks later...

On pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum, both in terms of scale and urbanisation, I've blanked the map section that I extracted from @LongLeftFlank's Ramadi map and adapted for use as Hayy El Karamah in 'Ashsh al-Dababir' (In preparation for a full CM:SF2 rebuild.  :ph34r:):

3xaWZf4.jpg

It's only 320m x 320m but it's quite a challenge.  ;)

If you would like to experiment with it, you can find it (completely blank map, no AI, no Setup Zones, no Objectives, nothing) here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6yxl7036jzz9on/[Map] The Hornets' Nest.btt?dl=0

All credit for this one goes to @LongLeftFlank, I only sliced it out of his original and tweaked it to my own purposes (although it was a fairly major tweak by the end).  B)

Hornets' Nest indeed. The defender has free choice of ~140 individual compounds (read: ready made fortresses and death traps) that BLUE can't safely neutralize with ranged firepower, or even spot, unless he first enters them with squishies.

Clearing a district this size IRL will take 5-10 days and bleed whole battalions white. In CM you can do it in an (intense and harrowing) sitting, but you need to assume lengthy (sometimes night long) pauses 'off the clock.'

Bring shaped charges and grenades, infidel dogs! And plenty of water. And blood plasma.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

I'm sure I've seen these before, but I can't currently find any guidelines for expected forces/clearance time in complex environments - do you have a link to any?

MOUT is certainly a challenge, and something that CMSF does uniquely well in the CM lineup. There are still some issues with the representation, and obviously anything on the scale of actual room clearing is out, but for the most part the tactical situation seems to match well to the manuals.

The above looks horrendous, which is great.

• 1 month later...

Another chunk of Mosul (formerly Ramadi) for all your MOUT needs:

Zh089kx.jpg

A little bigger than its predecessor, at 400m x 400m.....Equally challenging.  ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/44fget6wogyrxju/[Map] The Crusher.btt?dl=0

Kudos once again to @LongLeftFlank, this area was once the eastern cemetery in Ramadi, it's also the 'River of Martyrs' in @MOS:96B2P's awesome Coup D'Etat, which I found very appropriate indeed.....You'll see why when you try the scenario I wrote on it!  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 5 months later...

With my map-making excursion to Asia completed for a while, I've finally got back to work on Bishr.....The techniques I learned making the Delta map are already proving their broader usefulness, I reckon this marsh:

kJtFjAA.jpg

Looks a lot more realistic than this earlier effort (at the same area):

9ifDGQh.jpg

No mods, I just used different terrain tiles.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Little more:

GoSrAdF.jpg

Reckon I can call that bit of the terrain done (the river extends the full width of the map, over 2km):

461Jluh.jpg

Next up is adding some random rocky outcrops to break up the very featureless desert slightly here & there.....CM:SF2 has a much better toolset for mapping than its predecessor, it's a joy to work with by comparison.  B)

It's a shame so much of this map is either sand or heavy rocks, it means I can't use the various 'Rubble Tags'.  Once the main map's done I may make a (massively) cut down version featuring a bashed up variant of the urban area, using those tags.  TBH that one could be quite a while down the road, I've got 9km2 of desert to deal with first!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Nice, I missed these the first time around. As far as rubble is concerned, can't you just make a copy of the rubble tile, rename it by picking a ground tile you are not using for the terrain, add a modtag to it, say [ruin] or something and include it with the download?

edit : okay if Battlefront picked heavy rocks to turn into rubble, it is probably for a reason. Heavy rocks must offer some sort of micro cover. So depending on what tile you pick to replace it, the change would only be cosmetic.

Edited by Zveroboy1

It's not an enormous issue TBH.....The 'Heavy Rocks' & 'Sand' tiles are very common on the wider desert map, but not so frequently found in the city itself. 

Once it's been trimmed down to the urban area (which is a tiny portion of the overall map), I can smash it up a bit and use the rubble tags as normal.....Two maps for the price of one!  B)

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Very good looking marsh!  Well done.

I can never tell when you are serious.....But on a purely technical note, I'm rather pleased with it; it's almost as impassable to vehicles as the marsh it replaces (I used Heavy Forest tiles to restrict movement) and it does blend in with the rest of the environment rather better, don't you think?  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Same valley, different game:

U0goLAA.jpg

QihMfam.jpg

wrItozS.jpg

1600m x 1200m Blank Map:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ik08p9iryqcs0hq/[Map] Afghan Highway Valley SF2.btt?dl=0

And a certain city, possibly nostalgic for @Erwin:

DQssYrW.jpg

8Da73PL.jpg

8FQcxtH.jpg

800m x 960m Blank Map:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn1ountxhu2vbrg/[Map] Afghan City (Early) SF2.btt?dl=0

This one is built to my usual MOUT Map conventions and I'm pleased to say all my tweaking has survived the conversion process!  :ph34r:

Huge thanks to @Suchy for making thse conversions.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Seeing as I've been posting piccies of it everywhere, I guess should probably post the CM:SF2 conversion of the scenario:

5rwLGCr.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/opyriyhtgckfi2y/Ashsh al-Dababir (Min-Fix).btt?dl=0

This is as close to a direct port of the original as it is possible to make in CM:SF2 and still have it function reliably.....This version takes no advantage of CM:SF2's new features, but it should still keep you fairly well occupied for an hour or two.  ;)

PS - Keep in mind it's one of mine.....Come up with a plan and redeploy accordingly before pressing the red button, 'click & go' will not end well!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

@Sgt.Squarehead making a quick setup, loading up on those LAWs :). One thing I worry about is ammo, there is many NATO ammo available but my CTS forces didn't get their M4s yet ;-). Some stationary trucks / jeeps with 5.45 & 7.62x54r parked between some buildings in setup could come in handy. During testing you didn't ran out of ammo?