WW2 Veterans?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I showed my Dad the CMBO demo when we had it back then just as part of highlighting the state of PC development - not war gaming. He was not too impressed.  A veteran of the 86th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, he was much more interested in MS Flight Simulator and became very good. Put the New York sectional on his drafting board and spent more time planning than "flying". Never crashed. Not once. 

Kevin

4 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

Just wondering if any WW2 Veterans have played or seen this game?did they or do they find it offensive that we would enjoy a game about their real war experiences and their sacrifices?

I dont really think that it would matter if it would, and it is unlikely they would all have the same opinion anyhow. My experience however, has been favorable. There is a ww2 pilot Ive had the pleasuring of flying with in aces high who flew wildcats in ww2 and actually engaged japanese fighters. He flys alot of F4F :)

Yeah to be honest here how would you know any vets online actually flew against the Japanese for example? I find the odds of a ww2 combat veteran playing online flight sims pvp highly unlikely and talking about his experiences in combat against zeroes on chat even less likely. Hey you never know though. If they were younger I could see it. Theres several Nam vets floating around here for example. But WW2? Eh... i know a German guy who flew with Goering after Manfred got shot down and he loves Rise of Flight. He flies the DVII a lot.

5 hours ago, Sublime said:

Yeah to be honest here how would you know any vets online actually flew against the Japanese for example? I find the odds of a ww2 combat veteran playing online flight sims pvp highly unlikely and talking about his experiences in combat against zeroes on chat even less likely. Hey you never know though. If they were younger I could see it. Theres several Nam vets floating around here for example. But WW2? Eh... i know a German guy who flew with Goering after Manfred got shot down and he loves Rise of Flight. He flies the DVII a lot.

It is unlikely, and he is the only one I ever knew. He is a well known member of the community. You may find it hard to believe, but it is the case. He has been around for years. He plays less often now but Aces High has been around for 16 years. He flew more back in the day, but still gets on sometimes. 

Edited by shift8

WWII vets are gettin' kind'a like WWI vets these days. Their numbers are thinning rapidly. I recall one poignant pict on the BBC website of a Veterans Day parade in Britain, only one WWII vet was left to march down the street. My own WWII vet dad got to see CMSF. He was too mesmerized by the fancy 3-D computer stuff to have an opinion on actual gameplay. I believe even your average Vietnam vet would be around 68-70 by now, yes? The Tet offensive recently saw its 48th anniversary. Time marches on.

There was once maybe 10-12 years ago a guy on the forum who said he was a WWII vet but some one questioned his authenticity because he got a fact wrong and he said that's why he never goes on forums because there's always some one who doesn't believe him and he was never heard from again.

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

There was once maybe 10-12 years ago a guy on the forum who said he was a WWII vet but some one questioned his authenticity because he got a fact wrong and he said that's why he never goes on forums because there's always some one who doesn't believe him and he was never heard from again.

I don't believe you.

:)

This is emphatically not a veiled attempt to convince Sequoia to vanish from the forum. It just seemed like a necessary recursion.

3 hours ago, user1000 said:

It's sad there are not many at all left 2016....

Yeah. Up until about 15 years ago, I used to run into WW II vets on an almost regular basis. Some of them bequeathed me some stories. I regret that I never did any formal interviews of them. That would have been a minor treasure trove now. I had three cousins in the air force who flew combat and I deeply regret not getting their stories.

Michael

I can't remember showing my Dad CMBO, which is odd.  He used to play PanzerBlitz with me when I was a child.  I remember showing him the old Campaign Series Rising Sun title.  I know he played around at least a little with close combat on an old computer of mine I gave him shortly before he died.  Now that I typed this out, my memory has been jogged and I'm pretty sure I showed it to him along with a bunch of other games on the computer I gave him.  I think he sort of just picked up close combat from there rather than CM.  Never asked him why.  If I had to guess, simpler game.

He didn't take offense to portrayal of his generation in war games.

The last WW2 veteran I knew was my wife's uncle who passed away last year. He served with the Canadian Army, landed in Normandy on "D+9" as he said and served until VE day. As far as I know, he never owned a computer or played a computer game. I tried to get him to discuss his experiences, but like a lot of veterans, he did not talk about the war.

My grandfather's brother served in the RAF. He was a navigator in a bomber that got shot down over Burma. He spent weeks walking through the jungle back to Allied lines. Even though I knew him well, I only found out the story from his daughter after he died and even she only knew the basic story.

On 27. Mai 2016 at 3:09 PM, Sgt Joch said:

The last WW2 veteran I knew was my wife's uncle who passed away last year. He served with the Canadian Army, landed in Normandy on "D+9" as he said and served until VE day. As far as I know, he never owned a computer or played a computer game. I tried to get him to discuss his experiences, but like a lot of veterans, he did not talk about the war.

My grandfather's brother served in the RAF. He was a navigator in a bomber that got shot down over Burma. He spent weeks walking through the jungle back to Allied lines. Even though I knew him well, I only found out the story from his daughter after he died and even she only knew the basic story.

About the same here: whenever I asked my Dad (passed away 5 years ago) how he lost his right arm, the answer was: Somewhere on the Rollbahn in Russia, during a mortar strike....

My late father in WW2:

1- He served in N Africa and Sicily in the field artillery. As  He was part of the Kasserine debacle.

2- His most vivid recollection was when his mate, standing next to him, had his head blown clean off by an- allegedly- 88 shell.

3- The army was farcically organized, a theme of amusing dinner party conversations when I was a boy. For example, he was compelled to stand in line several times for the same inoculation.

4- He didn't care much for WW2 movies. He insisted that the Germans were NOT stupid as often depicted in post-war flics. They were a formidable foe.

5- He and I watched the film Patton together in the 70s. He had witnessed several of that general's speeches and complained that George C. Scott sounded nothing like him. Patton had a high squeaky voice and cursed a blue streak, with a liberal sprinkling of 'F-words' thrown in, shocking my small town, southern-raised Dad.

RIP

Edited by Childress

You are probably right but to be certain check out the Clay Pigeon's of St. Lo if you have not already. They writer talks about a SP 88 in the later part of the book - Chapter 18. They knocked it out with with a single well adjusted 105 mm. 

Kevin

https://books.google.com/books?id=3uRTLZ-kOiwC&pg=PA242&lpg=PA242&dq=the+clay+pigeons+of+st+lo+and+88s&source=bl&ots=KyHews7wqJ&sig=fIIpPKwZJFourmuaKvKScyHJvDo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0lZq25oLNAhXLQiYKHdVAALQQ6AEIMTAD#v=onepage&q=the%20clay%20pigeons%20of%20st%20lo%20and%2088s&f=false

On 5/23/2016 at 7:10 PM, Childress said:

I recall back in the day when CMBO 1.0 came out- 2001?- there was a former WW2 Sherman tanker who participated in the forum. I wish I could find his posts.

BO was released late May early June 00.

There is a poster whose been in Shermans in service but post Ww2 in the Canadian military.

I dont remember the poster you.re referring to childress and i was around here then. Doesnt mean youre wrong i just dont remember any ww2 vets.

Edited by Sublime