WW2 Veterans?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started playing war games very young. Product of being a military brat born in Germany and living there my first 6 yrs too.

So with the aces of.. series and close combat 1 2 and 3 especially... along with european air war air warrior... all sorts of games. Really trying to remember this one sort of fps strategy you could jump into ta ks or people and it had kind of an opem style and maps for its time. I remember vividly it came out when the truman show was in theaters so what 97 98? I have to say reading about cm was much siffnthat playing it in beta and i remember feeling mixed about it but kept comng back to it. Infantry has always been huge for me and the abstraxted squads always rlly bugged me even as I was creaming my jeans as BB came out etc. Because.. ost front. By Cmak I was done never bought it.

Plus my.life went on hiatus which is another story. I saw an early version of SF before it was released and hated it the one time I played it.

So fast forward 6 yrs or so and I start gaming again and got started on CMA which led to CMSF and every module cept the Brits. Been back since more or less. Its a shame i dont remember him. I really rarely posted before coming back circa 2010. Before that I think I only had a few hundred posts.. like my join date is may 2k but i started lurking here sept 99 when I was 14 these were dark days when games such as Everquest reigned supreme.

Sublime and Childress,

The gentleman to whom you refer is BadgerDog, whose earliest tanker experience was in an "Easy Eight" or close. That service was well after WW II, but I don't recall the year. Want to say late Sixties. It appears the last Shermans left the Canadian Army in 1972 or so, thus, no obstacle there.

Regards,

John Kettler

I dont think its Badger. Badger was who I initially referenced that had served in  Canadian Sherman post war.

I believe childress is referring to someone else JK badger dogs posts that I recall have all been more recent as in last few years not 15 yrs ago

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Why would you question that? 

He would have been 18 in 1968, so being a 66 year old 'Nam vet would make perfect sense.

yes, you're right. After High School I joined the army in July of 68 ..18 yrs. old. Yes I said joined ..not so bright I guess but I did it. Got out of the army and home from nam in 71.

On 5/31/2016 at 9:23 AM, Abbasid111 said:

To most GIs everything piece of artillery was an '88' and every tank was a Tiger. I know my uncle who was at St. Lo said his outfit was hit hard by 88s when it was obvious he was talking about indirect fire.

Well, technically ... the Germans did use FlaK 88s a lot for indirect fire in Normandy, although I think that was mostly on the British front where III FlaK Korps was posted. Apparently they were particularly liked (by the Germans)/hated (by the British) because being Luftwaffe rather than Heer they were comparatively well supplied with ammunition, and being FlaK a lot of that ammunition was fuzed airbust, which made for particularly bad times on the receiving end.

Mind you, I think this is another victim of the 'everything is an 88' syndrome. I have my doubts that the average Tommy or GI could reliably tell the difference between 88 and 105 indirect.

Edited by JonS

On 5/24/2016 at 3:05 AM, Sequoia said:

There was once maybe 10-12 years ago a guy on the forum who said he was a WWII vet but some one questioned his authenticity because he got a fact wrong and he said that's why he never goes on forums because there's always some one who doesn't believe him and he was never heard from again.

You're not thinking of P51D are you?

Edited by JonS

11 hours ago, Raptorx7 said:

Its hard to tell if hes a troll or not.

I think he is just immature with an overdeveloped ego and a chip on his shoulder. He seems to view himself as some kind of super-expert and expects others to view him the same way. The trouble with that is that he regularly gets things wrong way round which reveals the shortcomings of his learning, something that is perfectly obvious to the better informed members of this board. No matter how politely and even kindly one offers to correct him, his feathers get ruffled and he lashes out at his critics. Not a good way to make the kind of friendships he may be looking for.

Michael

3 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

No matter how politely and even kindly one offers to correct him, his feathers get ruffled and he lashes out at his critics. Not a good way to make the kind of friendships he may be looking for.

That is a very kind way of looking at things.  You are a good guy to have around.  We'll see if he takes your assessment to heart.  Everyone else can learn from your example.

On 5/22/2016 at 5:03 AM, Sublime said:

Eh... i know a German guy who flew with Goering after Manfred got shot down and he loves Rise of Flight. He flies the DVII a lot.

Assuming that's Manfred von Richtofen, that would make him somewhere around 120 years old. 

Edited by LukeFF

Yeah. It was sarcasm referring to an earlier posters assertion of knowing a 90 something yr old who played warbirds or somesuch online.

Just like when lucas used harpoon as proof of his expertise so i cited my many hrs in DCS as proof Im just as knowledgable as codenameduchess about aerial combat ;)

I am a geriatrician (physician who treats the elderly).  When I started my career, almost 30 years ago, there was always one question I could ask any new patient (this is in the US):

Were you in Europe, in the Pacific, or have a reason not to serve?  (because If you did not serve in WW2, you had a ready reason to give about that).  Now, I have lost most of them, though when I have an alert new 90 some year old I can still probably understand where they were in the war if they were fighting in Europe.  [early in my career, I did have a WW1 vet, who had been gassed in that war, but still lived into his 90s]

When CM2 came out, I asked a similar question to the OP, because it seemed too much of a port from CMSF, modern war (that has, I think, changed).    But I will make one qualification about trying to get the average WW2 vet to explain his experience: if they were young, inexperienced, they were usually just trying to stay alive.  Food. Rumor. What your buddy told you.  Getting home. Proud, mostly, and mostly putting it in the past--the ones who were not on anti-psychotic because they still had nightmares about German attacks.

There is a flavor about WW2 combat which may be hard in the future to capture because those who fought it will be gone.

18 hours ago, Sublime said:

Yeah. It was sarcasm referring to an earlier posters assertion of knowing a 90 something yr old who played warbirds or somesuch online.

Just like when lucas used harpoon as proof of his expertise so i cited my many hrs in DCS as proof Im just as knowledgable as codenameduchess about aerial combat ;)

Ok, cool. :)

12 hours ago, Sublime said:

Hows biz in Worcester anyways Rankorian?

Regardless my point was more of the plausbility of any WW2 vets not only playing comp games but fast paced ONLINE aerial combat games. Impossible ? Of course not. Unlikely. Extremely.

[health care and higher ed bringing the city back. great restaurants.  we go into Boston once a year to eat in the north end, but I always leave thankful of less traffic here. Legal Seafoods in Framingham is the closest I usually want to get]

I did admit a WW2 vet to the nursing home, short term, a couple of weeks ago (he was in his 90s, mentally sharp).  He had a knee injury from the war.  It was from shrapnel from artillery, near Aachen I think.  He was down behind a wall. He had friends nearby when the rounds came in.  Nothing was left of them.

But, in that sense, all vets have similar experiences--back to the beginning of human time.

Edited by Rankorian
clarity