Ambient sounds

This is just a small issue, but anyway...The ambient sounds I am hearing are of early summer (insects buzzing, birds singing, small arms, HE), whereas I would expect those of midwinter (just small arms and HE, really).  As I say, not a big deal, but I would hope easily fixable.

Sound advice (pun intended) from ME. I'm happy to wait and hear too. I was well impressed with the overall look and feel of the game. And the sounds of the infantry walking in the snow was spot on. I doubt the bird song and the insects will feature in the released version of the game. I only tried the RT winter sound mod out of curiosity, and it was good to discover that it is compatible if needed.. 

Since CMFB covers December to April/May that's a large variance in ambient sounds. Snowy December might sound bleak with little to nothing in terms of birdsong. A clear sunny morning may bring song from the common resident birds of the Ardennes, maybe some blackbirds or robins, a wren or two or a Dunnock, some chatter from house sparrows around built up areas, or some contact calls of crows. A cold overcast morning you may just hear the crows. By April or May you will have the Summer visitors, so ambient sound mods like the birds of Jutland for CMRT with it's prominent Yellowhammer song is just as applicable for CMFB.

Checklist of the birds of the Ardennes

http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklist.jsp?lang=EN&p2=1&list=clements&synlang=&region=FRch08&version=text&lifelist=&highlight=0

I think the only birds familiar to North Americans would be Common Starlings and House Sparrows which were European introductions into North America, the Mallard or the Canada Goose, the latter which is an American introduction over here, and only common (and noisy) in Winter around bodies of water. Since CMx2 series doesn't tie ambient sounds to specific places having geese or duck calls in the background during an urban firefight would be highly silly.

Edited by Harry Speakup
Mallards! - common as muck everywhere

Yes, would be good to look at ambient sound - birdsong isn't right for CMBN either - there are definitely some birds on there that wouldn't be found in Normandy. What would be really cool would be modelling how bird song changes through the day too (two peaks at dawn-ish and dusk-ish), but I'm probably getting carried away. I did a sound recording of ambient sound in Normandy in June a few years ago if anyone is interested.

4 hours ago, AlexUK said:

Yes, would be good to look at ambient sound - birdsong isn't right for CMBN either - there are definitely some birds on there that wouldn't be found in Normandy. What would be really cool would be modelling how bird song changes through the day too (two peaks at dawn-ish and dusk-ish), but I'm probably getting carried away. I did a sound recording of ambient sound in Normandy in June a few years ago if anyone is interested.

i'm all for realism but this is further then i would normally go :D 

16 hours ago, kevinkin said:

Did Ornithology ever study the effect of a human firefight on nearby birds? When I start the lawn mower they seem to go away somewhere.

Quite correct, birds don't like loud noises by and large and will disappear in short order, but the CMx2 series only allows one ambient sound file, not a separate ones for pre-contact and during or post gunfire. Within these restrictions any ambient sound is a compromise if you put any wildlife sounds in it since the species that should be represented, the number heard, and overall volume should depend on time of year, time of day, geographic location, local habitat etc. The CM series is a tactical battlefield simulator, not a WW2 birding simulator, so it isn't really that much of a problem, just find an ambient sound that suits your personal preference for a particular encounter.

22 minutes ago, Harry Speakup said:

Quite correct, birds don't like loud noises by and large and will disappear in short order, but the CMx2 series only allows one ambient sound file, not a separate ones for pre-contact and during or post gunfire. Within these restrictions any ambient sound is a compromise if you put any wildlife sounds in it since the species that should be represented, the number heard, and overall volume should depend on time of year, time of day, geographic location, local habitat etc. The CM series is a tactical battlefield simulator, not a WW2 birding simulator, so it isn't really that much of a problem, just find an ambient sound that suits your personal preference for a particular encounter.

^^^ Correct. One of the pleasures of walking through rural country is listening for the different bird sounds without making so much noise as to disturb their activity. It would be a cool audio feature in a future iteration to have multiple sound files able to be sequences to 'tripped' as time / weather in a scenario changes.

Buzz

1 minute ago, kevinkin said:

Jeez, and I just got the friendly and enemy AI triggers figured out ... not sure where wildlife would fall in BFC's scheme of things. Blue Jays are quite territorial, but Cardinals are pushovers.    

:D "The CM series is a tactical battlefield simulator, not a WW2 birding simulator..." from Harry Speakup.... who has it dialed in. I get a kick out of the Hummingbirds flying within a few feet of me ... hovering as they got flower to flower. Had one caught in a out building last week and had to open the 2nd floor windows to encourage it to escape. Not the smartest  bird but cute.

2 hours ago, Buzz said:

^^^ Correct. One of the pleasures of walking through rural country is listening for the different bird sounds without making so much noise as to disturb their activity. It would be a cool audio feature in a future iteration to have multiple sound files able to be sequences to 'tripped' as time / weather in a scenario changes.

Buzz

Yep, such things could possibly add to the immersion. Like maybe if you're zoom in view to your squad, who are skulking through the bushes in the woods prior to any contact to have something like an blackbird alarm call trigger or an irritated robin or wren scold your troops for invading their territory. Probably means nothing to someone focused on the minutiae of the troops uniform and weapons for a given date and theatre, but something familiar and realistic to others with a mis-spent youth. I'll settle for background ambient sounds that sound about right, like no crickets at night in Northern Europe in Winter and bird or insect song that is similarly appropriate. No Bluejays or Virginia Cardinals, this WW2 Europe people, not a Hollywood backlot  :P

Edited by Harry Speakup
typo

1 hour ago, kevinkin said:

Be careful ... those hummingbirds could be government microbots. If you break them, you buy them. 

:D

2 minutes ago, Harry Speakup said:

Yep, such things could possibly add to the immersion. Like maybe if you're zoom in view to your squad, who are skulking through the bushes in the woods prior to any contact to have something like an blackbird alarm call trigger or an irritated robin or wren scold your troops for invading their territory. Probably means nothing to someone focused on the minutiae of the troops uniform and weapons for a given date theatre, but something familiar and realistic to others with a mis-spent youth. I'll settle for background ambient sounds that sound about right, like no crickets at night in Northern Europe in Winter and bird or insect song that is similarly appropriate. No Bluejays or Virginia Cardinals, this WW2 Europe, not a Hollywood backlot  :P

"something familiar and realistic to others with a mis-spent youth..." ?:)