Ambient sounds

3 hours ago, Buzz said:

One of the pleasures of walking through rural country is listening for the different bird sounds without making so much noise as to disturb their activity.

Once many years ago I had a particularly delightful jam session with a bunch of wild birds while camped out several miles from Lake Tahoe. It was around sunset in this small valley surrounded by hills, and I had set up camp and eaten a little. The birds—it sounded like several types but I couldn't have told you what kind—had taken up their positions for the night and were sending their calls back and forth across the valley. It sounded so lovely that after a while I joined in and started whistling riffs back at them. Then the most amazing thing happened, they all flew over and landed in the trees closer to me and pretty soon we had our jam session going. It lasted maybe 15 or 20 minutes before it got to be everybody's bed time. I went to sleep feeling exalted, like I had been welcomed into the brotherhood of free spirits.

Of course, this was years before I learned that bird calls are often territorial challenges and they were actually telling me to get the hell off their patch!

:lol:

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys
spelling, spelling, spelling

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

It sounded so lovely that after a while I joined in and started whistling riffs back at them. Then the most amazing thing happened, they all flew over and landed in the trees closer to me and pretty soon we had our jam session going. It lasted maybe 15 or 20 minutes before it got to be everybody's bed time. I went to sleep feeling exalted, like I had been welcomed into the brotherhood of free spirits.

Michael you have always been in the brotherhood of free spirits... feeling exalted ... even for one night is a good night :)

Buzz

On 2016-04-04 at 7:03 PM, Michael Emrys said:

Of course, this was years before I learned that bird calls are often territorial challenges and they were actually telling me to get the hell off their patch!

LOL, there are other reasons too.  True story (my wife was research assistant for a Biology professor for many years at a university) in answer to the question on a biology exam "Why do birds sing?" one student answered "Because they are happy"  They also added some of the more practical reasons after that but as an owner of a budgie and finches I think that they were right that is one of the reasons birds sing.

More seriously @Michael Emrys another primary reason for singing to each other like that is for social bonding between the flock so if you were outside of breeding season then I would suspect that they really were chatting with you.  If it was inside their breeding season then yeah there is a good chance they were annoyed with you.

Edited by IanL

No idea what soundscapes will be in the release version, but since sound files can be modded, these can be likely mod tagged to a particular mission or campaign? I already use some recycled CMBO file for late september battles in CMBN (background day combat.wav), spiced up with various combat sounds from various sources. So far it´s a replacement, but I´ll try with mod tagging, to see if it works.

Edit: Did a quick test. Background soundfiles can be mod tagged (with "background day combat [snd].wav" loaded as example) and works like any mod tagged files.

Edited by RockinHarry