Getting into more complex builds. Is it worth it?

NPye

On 7/24/2023 at 8:27 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

I've tried to download your stuff via Dropbox, but there's nothing there. Could you give another link please? And it it possible to concentrate all your witchcraft into one mod?

Hi, when it's finished i will. Cheers

More from the Benouville Map...

VCDt6b.png

The first 2 Horsas to land in Normandy...

VCuhzi.png

The glider pilots land so close to the bridge...

VCDZMz.png

Troops arrive from 7th Para Battalion and start to move over the bridge...

VCDEtF.png

The Piat is quite effective at close range...

VCDId5.png

...and even against the PzKw IV.

35 minutes ago, NPye said:

Troops arrive from 7th Para Battalion and start to move over the bridge...

That picture takes me back a few years.  We had been on a camping holiday towing a trailer tent half way across beautiful France.  On the way back to the ferry at Ouistreham, my satnav had a wobble and took me off on a road that led, to my surprise, over that very bridge.  I was then able to hang a left turn and head along the wrong side of the estuary and cross a single track harbour bridge to get to the ferry port.  Just in time 😵‍💫...

More from Benouville, updated with some of WIMs buildings...

VQZKKi.png

The Corner House, opposite the Mairie which has been knocked down for some horrible flats...

VQZsbP.png

The Tram Station

VQZ9M1.png

The road that leads to the bridge... you can see the Mairie middle left.

VQZCPk.png

1 hour ago, WimO said:

BTW. Old photos also show that the gas pump referred to by some of the soldiers is in front of Le Chaumiere east of the entrance.

They are the ones I based it on. No trams or tramlines in 1944.

Just finished the Corner House opposite the Mairie...

V9ENZc.png

based on this photo, shame it was demolished a few years back and will soon be flats that look really out of place???

V9EPsK.jpeg

Again compromise but I think ok. I built that one from scratch....

Edited by NPye

At about 0430 hours, first light, the FOO and RN attached to the 7th Btn, moved into the upper floor of the  corner house to overwatch the open fields to the SW of the crescent from where the Germans could advance against the "T" intersection. Meanwhile 9 Ptn, "C" Coy sent a patrol to the end of the crescent. There they ran into a German patrol twice their size.

Ok Corner House finished, now with Terra Cotta Roof Tiles, like the original.

Vdw4iz.png

Ok now finished the Le Port Church, I managed to actually use the Roof and the front entrance from some photos I found.

Vdwdb2.png

It looks like the church was built in stages as all three main elements look different...

Vdwzb3.png

As the Bell Tower has no spiral, I made it from mod building, as always not exact but a good compromise??? The Tower was an obvious place for snipers and one account I read, was that it was almost impossible for the paras to get up into the tower as there was only one entrance and the snipers were still active when Lord Lovat's Commandoes arrived, in fact six of them were shot by the snipers as they crossed the bridge.

Edited by NPye

22 minutes ago, WimO said:

At about 0430 hours, first light, the FOO and RN attached to the 7th Btn, moved into the upper floor of the  corner house to overwatch the open fields to the SW of the crescent from where the Germans could advance against the "T" intersection. Meanwhile 9 Ptn, "C" Coy sent a patrol to the end of the crescent. There they ran into a German patrol twice their size.

Mate, there are so many levels to that day it is great to just read about it and know what the places looked like and to be able to follow the paras progress on our maps. Cheers

Edited by NPye