Bailey Bridge Mod

bailey_HN.jpg

Bailey Bridge Mod:

Some time ago someone on this forum asked for modders to create a "Bailey Bridge mod". Back then I looked into it and replied that I didn´t think it would be possible to mod one of the existing CM bridges into something resembling a Bailey Bridge. My main reasons for saying so was the shape of the existing bridges in CM. As you probably know we modders can only change the appearance - surface - of the vehicle, bridge etc. Not their actual shape.

But the idea must have been lurking in the back of my mind since then. And since then I have gained some experience in getting around the constraints that the game imposes on us modders. Mainly by creative use of alpha channels and making mods by using additional flavor objects. So I recently decided to give it a try.
Just gave it a quick stress test by sending a Crocodile across. As you can see, it didn´t collapse ;)

What I have done is this:

Modded the "bridge-stone-2-lane" bridge to change its appeance from stone to steel. I´ve also used alpha channels to make parts of the original bridge transparent.

Used the hull of the sdkfz 251d-10 to create a new flavor object resembling a pontoon. The object is called hardcart3.

You create the illusion of a Bailey Bridge by placing a "Stone W" bridge ("Stone 56 W" is  probably best) on the map - along with some hardcart3 flavor object. In 3D Preview mode you then place the "pontoons" (sdkfz 251d-10 hulls) next to the bridge. There are some elevation requirements too, but I´ll get back to those later.

bailey_spw.jpg

The result is not perfect: The alpha channels do not always create the intended tranparency and the shape of the bridge - and pontoons aren´t exactly like a real Bailey Bridge´s. But this is the closest I am able to get.

The mod is almost finished and ready for release, but I´ve decided to wait a bit in order to collect comments/advice/suggestions from you knowledgable forumites.
Perhaps there are some details that could be improved before release, though I don´t think it will be possible to change the actual shape of the bridge.

bailey_stor.jpg

Edited by umlaut

McGyver could make a rocket out of underwear elastic, half a shrimp, and a hubcap. You sir, are McGyver...or the new and improved Denmarkian version; UmGyver.

Mord.

the new and improved Denmarkian version; UmGyver.

Thanks. If it's OK with you I think I'd prefer MacLaut (once I've grown a moustace) :P

And even though we never had MacGyver, in my childhood we had these movie comedies about a gang of small time thieves (the Olsen Gang) and their ingeniously creative - but always unlucky - attempts to make the great heist:

Edited by umlaut

This is off-topic but I blame Kohlenklau ;)

I still consider this to be one of the greatest scenes in military movie history, and the fact it actually happened makes it even better.

"We havn't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner, sorry!"

Edited by Raptorx7

This is off-topic but I blame Kohlenklau ;)

I still consider this to be one of the greatest scenes in military movie history, and the fact it actually happened makes it even better.

"We havn't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner, sorry!"

That was a great scene, yeah. My wife is Dutch and we visited Arnhem so seeing this is all curiously familiar, particularly to her. But that scene never fails to make us both laugh.

That show has never been aired in Denmark, so I had to google it to get your point. Thanks. I guess. ;)

You must have missed/overlooked McGyver umlaut, -cause it was aired on danish national TV,  I remember watching it, especially I recall McGyver using pinecones to throw into burning oilbarrels, and they supposedly cook of sounding like gunshots, hilarious.

I am from the year 1977, am not sure exactly which year it was aired, maybe late 80'. I watched it alot on DR (Danish national TV)

Edited by pkanarki

@pkarnarki: Must have overlooked that. Not much of tv watcher anyhow, but I thought I would at least have heard of it being aired. And since there is no mention of Denmark in the wikipedia page on MacGyver I felt reasonably sure. My bad.

More on-topic:

@Kohlenklau:

Thanks for the clip. I had forgotten about that when I researched the look of the mod. It seems like the pontoons might not be spot on, I´ll see if I can find a shape more suitable than the SdKfz 251/10 D. Assuming that the movie´s Bailey Bridge is more historically accurate than the german tanks. :P

Anyone else have any comments or suggestions regarding the Bailey Bridge? If not, I´ll release it soon.

Cheers

Edited by umlaut

You must have missed/overlooked McGyver umlaut, -cause it was aired on danish national TV,  I remember watching it, especially I recall McGyver using pinecones to throw into burning oilbarrels, and they supposedly cook of sounding like gunshots, hilarious.

I am from the year 1977, am not sure exactly which year it was aired, maybe late 80'. I watched it alot on DR (Danish national TV)

Not surprising.  McGyver was Chuck Norris before Chuck Norris was Chuck Norris.  Just in a more cerebral way.

MacLaut has done some vehicle shape research in the hope of finding a more suitable shape for the pontoon. But so far the 251/10 D is still the winner.

So unless I hear any suggestions for alterations or such very soon, I´ll commence uploading procedures.

Uploaded to cmmods - get it here

(and later at the Repository)

Included in the pack are:

- A folder with the mod files

- Assembly instructions

- A map with prefabricated Bailey bridges for a quick start on designing maps with the bridges

- the MG stock scenario "Counterattack at Son" modified to include a Bailey bridge at Son.

Please read the instructions before using the mods

Edited by umlaut

Uploaded to cmmods - get it here

(and later at the Repository)

Great! Thanks for making it. My favourite McGyver thing was when he fixed a broken engine block with an egg - and drove away. Now that's something!

I'm starting to wonder if anything is uploaded to the Repository at all anymore. I've waited for a scenario to turn up now for more than a month.

• 1 month later...