Ost Front Books

1 hour ago, jtsjc1 said:

So good I bought it twice. Also Between the Oder and the Elbe by Tieke, Wilehlm: New Hardcover (2006) 1st Edition | J.M. Brown (abebooks.com)  Check out the small map section underneath. That is a supplemental map that is included. Its a 24"x36" color  street map of Berlin on one side and a color battle map on the other. Beautiful and excellent book translated to English.

👍

• 2 weeks later...

There are quite a few books/memoirs written by people from different countries that fought on the German side. Some are good and there are also those that aren't that good. How is it with people who fought in the Red Army? Are there any good books/memoirs written by Russians, Ukrainians and other nationalities who were part of and fought in the Soviet army?

Edited by BornGinger

• 2 months later...

In The Fire Of The Eastern Front

Heidrick Verton from the island Schouwen-Duiveland in the Netherlands starts of the book by telling a bit about his family and possible connections to France. He mentions the political situation in Europe before the war, describes how the war started and how it later on came to the Netherlands where some people mistook the Germans for being British soldiers and offered them food and drink. He later on tells the reason to why he and his older brother Evert joins the Waffen-SS in the struggle against the feared Stalinist Soviet Union.

Much of the book is similar to other memoirs from soldiers who fought on the German side. The most interesting part so far is the description of the fighting in the besieged city Breslau (Wrosław) in Silesia, Poland. 

But I have 100 pages left so there might still be even more interesting things to read about. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/20/2021 at 10:55 AM, slippy said:

Anyone know of any good books on Operation Bagration please? I've read the Osprey book, looking for a good general campaign book, and also individual units/ small actions.

Thanks

Coming here for a year old post in a 7 year old thread.

But I have some real difficulties finding books about the two operations depicted in the base game of Red Thunder. As mentioned by OP in their very first post, the book "Battleground Prussia" by  Prit Buttar seems perfect, regarding the scope and the depicted OOB. However, it focuses on Prussia, and only starts a couple of months (or even only weeks) after Oshra.

Another book by Buttar "The Reckoning: The Defeat of Army Group South, 1944" is covering the exact right timeframe, but as you might have guessed from the title, only the southern Eastern front (Romania, Hungary, Yugoslavia).

Does anybody know a book that has a similar scope as Buttar (focusing on a few months rather than a whole year) and specific operations, but exactly fitting to Red Thunder's two campaigns?

Edit: So far I have found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Soviet-Blitzkrieg-Battle-White-Russia/dp/1626379769/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Soviet+Blitzkrieg%3A+The+Battle+for+White+Russia&qid=1647902842&sr=8-1

But I would really prefer a book that covers both Belorussia and Poland in Summer/Autumn 1944.

Edited by Sunbather

22 minutes ago, Sunbather said:

Coming here for a year old post in a 7 year old thread.

But I have some real difficulties finding books about the two operations depicted in the base game of Red Thunder. As mentioned by OP in their very first post, the book "Battleground Prussia" by  Prit Buttar seems perfect, regarding the scope and the depicted OOB. However, it focuses on Prussia, and only starts a couple of months (or even only weeks) after Oshra.

Another book by Buttar "The Reckoning: The Defeat of Army Group South, 1944" is covering the exact right timeframe, but as you might have guessed from the title, only the southern Eastern front (Romania, Hungary, Yugoslavia).

Does anybody know a book that has a similar scope as Buttar (focusing on a few months rather than a whole year) and specific operations, but exactly fitting to Red Thunder's two campaigns?

Edit: So far I have found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Soviet-Blitzkrieg-Battle-White-Russia/dp/1626379769/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Soviet+Blitzkrieg%3A+The+Battle+for+White+Russia&qid=1647902842&sr=8-1

But I would really prefer a book that covers both Belorussia and Poland in Summer/Autumn 1944.

Douglas Nash - From the Realm of a Dying Sun series worth getting.

Or 

Norbert Bacyk

Warsaw: Battle for Praga July - September 1944 v. 2 (Operations / East Front): The Tank Battle at Praga July - December 1944 

Edited by George MC

• 6 months later...