Ost Front Books

Some interesting suggestions in this thread. I'm still slogging my way through Glantz's many books on the subject, in between all the work-related reading I have to do and reading for side projects.

One of my favorite books I've read recently is Nipe Jr's Decision in the Ukraine. I was worried at first as it seemd to be filled with borderline cheer-leading for the Germans, but he quickly shifts the narrative to the operations on the Mius river and speaks in no uncertain terms of growing Russian strategic and operational skill and superiority. Also one of the best explanations of Maskirovka I've ever read. Definitely reccomend; Stackpole is the publisher.

On 25/01/2016 at 11:13 AM, Fizou said:

Anyone that read "Objective Ponyri! The Defeat of XXXXI. Panzerkorps at Ponyri Train Station" by Martin Nevshemal? Would you recommend? I'm looking order as everything from Leaping Horseman Books looks to be golden. I was super pleased by Death of the Leaping Horseman and Into Oblivion Kharkov to Stalingrad.  

Everything from them is golden:) I own five of their books so far and love everyone.

LINK to Iron Cross Brigade review

Edited by Wodin

6 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

Some interesting suggestions in this thread. I'm still slogging my way through Glantz's many books on the subject, in between all the work-related reading I have to do and reading for side projects.

One of my favorite books I've read recently is Nipe Jr's Decision in the Ukraine. I was worried at first as it seemd to be filled with borderline cheer-leading for the Germans, but he quickly shifts the narrative to the operations on the Mius river and speaks in no uncertain terms of growing Russian strategic and operational skill and superiority. Also one of the best explanations of Maskirovka I've ever read. Definitely reccomend; Stackpole is the publisher.

It is actually a pretty good book, he produces a very honest assessment of the lack of skill in Totenkopf's command. Lots of good scenario ideas there when CMx3 makes it 1943 East Front.

Here's a link to a small publisher which has focused on Market Garden: http://www.autumngale.com/

Their first book, "Autumn Gale" is a phenomenally detailed account of the Jagdpanther unit operating around the Market Garden area, as well as all the rest of the battle and units involved. Great maps, great detail, great writing style. I can't give it enough superlatives.

Their second book, "Kampfgruppe Walther" just came out last week. It's as good as the first.

Both books are amazingly detailed while simultaneously being able to keep the overall battle narrative flowing.

Yes, they are West not Ost, but they are on par with LHB for quality...or LHB is on par with them. ;) 

Ken

Edited by c3k

22 hours ago, c3k said:

Here's a link to a small publisher which has focused on Market Garden: http://www.autumngale.com/

Their first book, "Autumn Gale" is a phenomenally detailed account of the Jagdpanther unit operating around the Market Garden area, as well as all the rest of the battle and units involved. Great maps, great detail, great writing style. I can't give it enough superlatives.

Their second book, "Kampfgruppe Walther" just came out last week. It's as good as the first.

Both books are amazingly detailed while simultaneously being able to keep the overall battle narrative flowing.

Yes, they are West not Ost, but they are on par with LHB for quality...or LHB is on par with them. ;) 

Ken

Looks really interesting Ken. Thanks for the tip, to bad Autumn Gale is sold out (now going for hundreds of euros on the secondhand market). Will have to get my hands on Kg Walther.  

Edited by Fizou

59 minutes ago, Fizou said:

Looks really interesting Ken. Thanks for the tip, to bad Autumn Gale is sold out (now going for hundreds of euros on the secondhand market). Will have to get my hands on Kg Walther.  

Wow, I have Autumn Gale. It is worth some serious money now, prices are ridiculous :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are a few accounts by Il-2 pilots, but I'm pretty sure none like this, the story of a female Russian pilot who flew the PO-2 (of Night Witches fame) and ultimately the Sturmovik. Haven't read it myself, but I thought it would be of prime interest. I count myself fortunate to have seen not just a Po-2 but the only operational Il-2 on the planet. She flew a simply astounding 270 combat missions in one. Why astounding? According to a male Russian pilot writing on the English side of IRemember.ru, the effective life span of an Il-2 crew was seven (7) missions.

Over Fields of Fire: Flying the Sturmovik in Action on the Eastern Front 1942-45 (Soviet Memories of War) Kindle Edition

by Anna Timofeeva-Egorova (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/Over-Fields-Fire-Sturmovik-Memories-ebook/dp/B005ATWROS/ref=sr_1_66?ie=UTF8&qid=1493111403&sr=8-66&keywords=nonfiction+wwii+books%2C+eastern+front

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

Have found that when you want a job done right, hire a woman... 

At the risk of being accused of pandering to the feminists, I have to say that I began noticing that many decades ago. It isn't always the case, some classes of problems that can be obvious to a male are totally incomprehensible to the average female. But there is a very long list of things that women usually do, not only better, but much better.

Michael

Has anyone read this? I found it the other day at Amazon, and it sure looks interesting, judging form the Look Inside feature. As a 14 y.o. boy who had never been to Germany and had been born in Canada, he and his brother found themselves almost secretly shipped to Germany, ultimately leading to his service in the Wehrmacht in the last year of the War in the East. As if that wasn't enough, his parents were Ukrainian!

PANZER GUNNER: From My Native Canada to the German Osfront and Back. In Action with 25th Panzer Regiment, 7th Panzer Division 1944-45

Regards,

John Kettler

Turns out Michael Emrys has, since I rather doubt there are two! A most useful single page post from Axis History Forum.

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=136586

The above references a book by Johann Huber, whose iron steeds were much of a piece with Mr. Friesen. Huber was in 7 PD and didn't enter battle until Kourland. His combat record is impressive, and he was recognized by Dragon's releasing a 1/35th scale model of his Jagdpanzer IV, 1/72 and an action figure of him as well. He was a VIP at the expo below. Bio at link.

http://www.dxpo.com/dx/05/vip-huber-bio.asp

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...

For those of you deeply interested in Stalingrad, I found this while researching shtrafbat. This seems to me to be a must translate to English period interview series (215) of enormous historical importance. See what you think.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/frank-interviews-with-red-army-soldiers-shed-new-light-on-stalingard-a-863229.html

Die Stalingrad Protokolle. (The Stalingrad Protocol) by Hellbeck and Koerner

https://www.amazon.com/Stalingrad-Protokolle-Jochen-Hellbeck-Christiane-Körner/dp/3100302133

He is the author of another book on Stalingrad (Facing Stalingrad), as seen through the widely divergent lenses of the Germans and the Russians, but the exciting news as regards this post is that Die Stalingrad Protokolle is being translated into English!

http://facingstalingrad.com/about/

On a separate note, Drabkin's Panzer Killers was first rate on all sorts of levels. Grog paradise for sure! There's a passage in there where a SU-152 (maybe ISU-152 later?) commander holds forth on how he sees no fundamental difference between an SU-152 and an ISU-152, since they have the same gun and perform the same mission. He explicitly talks about he doesn't care about how many return rollers there were... In another instance an ATG battery commander refuses to be drawn into any discussion of the respective merits or lack thereof in reference to the ZIS-2 and ZIS-3.

Regards,

John Kettler

On 2017-04-28 at 8:06 PM, Fizou said:

Into Oblivion by Jason D. Mark will be released by Pennan och Svärdet / Hisoriska Media, in Swedish. My fellow Swedes here at the forum I really recommend you pick it up. Great book. 

Unfortunately the Swedish edition have been striped of several photos and more importantly most maps. A true shame. So get the original.. 

• 1 month later...

This falls under the "A man can dream, right?" category. Pre-orders for delivery February 2018. Yours for just over $82! The author has serious credentials, and the blurb is practically an essay.

https://www.amazon.com/Tank-Battles-Prussia-Poland-1944-1945/dp/1912174065/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XRHCJ968DXW0V5S19RRB

Tank Battles in East Prussia and Poland 1944-1945: Vilkavishkis, Gumbinnen/Nemmersdorf, Elbing, Wormditt/Frauenburg, Kielce/Lisow

• Hardcover: 504 pages
  • Publisher: Helion and Company (January 19, 2018)
  •  

by Igor Nebolsin  (Author)

Regards,

John Kettler