How are people doing against the A.I. ?

z1812

I have been playing CM since 1999. I have always enjoyed playing PBEM as well as against the A.I.

With the previous games, I have found the A.I. gave me some tense moments but usually I prevailed and won.

CMBS is much more challenging for me. I have played the small battles up to "Object Delta" and have not won once.

I don't mind as I find the scenarios very interesting and the challenge to be fun.

How are you all doing against the A.I. ?

I've always done a lot better with the modern titles, so I got up to speed with CMBS pretty quickly I think. It helps that I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about how best to use Motor Rifle Troops - the difference here is that the Russians (unlike the Syrians) actually have the tools to make use of them, relatively speaking.

In terms of the small battles, August Morning took a fair few attempts to get the hang of, but the last time I ran through it I only took one casualty, and that was probably unnecessary. Part of the issue I'm finding (against the AI and in PBEM) is that being stationary for more than a few minutes can be a death sentence - precision artillery, AGL's and missiles can all cause havoc out of nowhere.

I play at iron, the A.I. is easy to beat on any Quick Battle, even with a 30% reduction in forces. It is much tougher to beat in the Battles.

I find the QB's are quite winnable...............as you say the battles are harder.

I usually play at Elite level. Iron confuses the hell out of me.

I mostly play vs. the AI. Campaigns and Scenarios are significantly more difficult and fun than QBs IMO. In QBs the AI occasionally does weird things. Most of the time the QB AI does OK, but sometimes it just really feels like something went wrong.

I am currently getting my ass kicked in Going to Town battle scenario playing as Russians. It's defenitely cool to see those triggers in play - gets the immersion factor up and makes the game harder.

Not playing quickbattles ever since I had WTF moments with them in CMBN.

I'm doing better at CMBS than I had done with the WW2 titles.  Now that I have the 'don't watch the clock' attitude going though I may go back to WW2 titles.  I find I was hurrying too much and getting killed by not scouting nearly as well as I should.

I'm doing better at CMBS than I had done with the WW2 titles.  Now that I have the 'don't watch the clock' attitude going though I may go back to WW2 titles.  I find I was hurrying too much and getting killed by not scouting nearly as well as I should.

I find patience is one of the keys to success. Once I understood that I started to have better results. It is interesting how things can seem to move along slowly and then within 5 or 10 minutes everything starts to resolve....................unfortunately it is sometimes not in my favour............................

I find patience is one of the keys to success. Once I understood that I started to have better results. It is interesting how things can seem to move along slowly and then within 5 or 10 minutes everything starts to resolve....................unfortunately it is sometimes not in my favour............................

The build up to the full contact is about the same. Once contact been made the time factor I think is compressed by about x2-2.5.  Death comes faster and not much sloppiness.

Edited by Daroc

Really, if you struggling winning the AI. Then you really do need to rethink the tactics you are playing with. Because the AI really is not different than it has been in all the other games. It is hard to say what your problems might be without actually watching you play..

I disagree with the fact that slowing down your game play is the answer, I see that comment a lot. I find CMBS actually requires faster moving and decisions if you are playing a good opponent.

Gaining firepower advantages need to done more quickly than ever before because the amount of fire power units can produce will win a battle very quickly.. So you do not want to be on the wrong end of that, so being slow will lead to that problem.

I think the problem most people have is understanding how to move troops. You need forward scouting units that risk their life to find what is out there. Stop trying to keep them alive, the best thing you can do for them is make sure they have covering fire. Then at least you can kill anything they expose and maybe if you have enough covering units. they might live to see a few more minutes in combat. learning this trick is the best offensive tool.

On defense, the best tool is learning how to have reserve units that can be moved into place once you know what the enemy is trying to do. Do not pin all your units on the defensive front line. That is a good way to lose.

Just two tips I see a major portion of players not do correctly. SO maybe two areas for you to work on also.

Edited by slysniper

It's a much tougher game than CMSF. Much tougher. There's some real difficulty spikes that require several retries. 

I think the enhanced spotting (NVG and TIS on both sides) and the fact that scenario designers have really got to grips with CMx2 contributes. Some of the scenarios fall on the side of frustration-by-design rather than enjoyment, but that's something that started with CMBN. 

Really, if you struggling winning the AI. Then you really do need to rethink the tactics you are playing with. Because the AI really is not different than it has been in all the other games. It is hard to say what your problems might be without actually watching you play..

I disagree with the fact that slowing down your game play is the answer, I see that comment a lot. I find CMBS actually requires faster moving and decisions if you are playing a good opponent.

Gaining firepower advantages need to done more quickly than ever before because the amount of fire power units can produce will win a battle very quickly.. So you do not want to be on the wrong end of that, so being slow will lead to that problem.

I think the problem most people have is understanding how to move troops. You need forward scouting units that risk their life to find what is out there. Stop trying to keep them alive, the best thing you can do for them is make sure they have covering fire. Then at least you can kill anything they expose and maybe if you have enough covering units. they might live to see a few more minutes in combat. learning this trick is the best offensive tool.

On defense, the best tool is learning how to have reserve units that can be moved into place once you know what the enemy is trying to do. Do not pin all your units on the defensive front line. That is a good way to lose.

Just two tips I see a major portion of players not do correctly. SO maybe two areas for you to work on also.

Thanks for the advice Slysniper. I have been using the approaches you mention for a long time now but they are not serving me well in CMBS. Perhaps I will need to do some fine tuning for this title.

I am sure it has also has to do with combat survivability on the modern battlefield where everyone is armed to the teeth.

I am glad to find it so challenging. It makes you think a lot about what you are doing. I hope not to pull out to much hair in frustration as mine is already thinning quite nicely.

I did the first 5 scenarios and only won 2 on first try (iron). But each were epic fights ! Finished "Brutal" scenario yesterday and it was for me maybe the best defensive scen I've played in CM.

There's one thing that would help the AI a lot I think (if possible). It would be the use by AI of "blind" supressive fire on key areas.

For exemple, in brutal scenario, I had mid game at least 10 russian vehicles overwatching the town for more than 5 minutes. But none of them fired a single round while overwatching and then died when they entered the town (ambushed by my hidden RPG teams). If those vehicles had supressed (blindly) most of the buildings they could see from their overwatch positions it would have been a lot harder for me.

I'll try this idea in the scen editor and report if this work well.

Anyway, AI is better than most other similar games !

Gaining firepower advantages need to done more quickly than ever before because the amount of fire power units can produce will win a battle very quickly.

^^^ This.  Listen to what he says. :)  He is doing this to my guys right now!  My men open fire on some of his and the next thing I know my guys  are taking from from multiple locations and just getting hammered. I thought I actually had a plan to allow me to create fire power advantages.  I need a new plan.

The slowing down comment works when applied to finding the enemy.  If you just send the platoon down the road at full speed when the unknown enemy ambushes you it will be a bad scene.  Where as if you do some scouting when you trip the ambush way less of your guys get caught and the bulk of them can figure out how to quickly respond.