New CMRT Campaign: The Cross of Iron

The Cross of Iron is a interactive story driven campaign of a German tank company from June 22, 1944 thru June 26. In this campaign you take the role of Hauptman Johan Clauss, Commander of 1.Kompanie, 501 PzAbt during the opening phases of Operation Bagration. The campaign is designed with the latest version of CMRT and it is semi-historical.

As Clauss you will be faced with completing missions you have been given and somehow keep your Kompanie alive. You will at specific times during the campaign be forced to make hard decisions that can change the path of the campaign for better or worse.

It is very important that you read ALL of the briefings and designer notes as these drive the storyline of the campaign. Also Clauss must be kept alive or the campaign will conclude.

Also there are a number of mod tags within the campaign which will result in a rather robust download which is why the campaign is only available on the GAJ site here http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5458/details. The designer note for the campaign gives a detailed breakdown of the mods used and acknowledges the fine work done by the authors of those mods. In particular I believe that this is the first scenarios/campaign that uses a large part of Umlaut's outstanding factory mod, which in my opinion added the immersion effect that I wanted for this campaign.

To install unzip the zip file and copy the campaign file(.cam) to your campaign directory in CMRT and copy the folder panzermike (mods) to your data/z folder and you should be good to go.

I truly hope those who give it a try will find it enjoyable. I do feel it will be a difficult campaign to complete but it should be rewarding if you do.

Please direct any comments, suggestions etc to this thread so I can make any necessary improvements as they are brought to my attention. It was a great deal of time involved to create this campaign and I want it to be a enjoyable experience.

Michael (dragonwynn)

Downloading now, this sounds like EXACTLY the sort of campaign I want to see more of. Leading a medium sized force through a campaign that has a personal element to it, with an actual narrative. So much more enjoyable to me than the ones where it's Mission 1: Company A and B attack town X, Mission 2: Company C Attacks crossroads Y, yadda yadda. Those can be fun, but the game greatly benefits from having some emotional attachment to what's going on. Also, bravo on using the mod tags and it seems including everything needed in one download.

Thank you!

The reason the download is so big is because he actually included glue and balsa wood to build the commander's cupola for a Tiger 1. Detailed multi-lingual instructions are included and once built, you lower it over yourself while at your PC or laptop as you play the campaign. Total immersion! (The only modern feature is a cup holder... for snaps or vasser.... )

Congratulations Mike! The first ever user made campaign for CMRT and a whopper of one.  Great job! Can't wait to play it through. :D

Fantastic -- can't wait to try this. Huge thanks for this major effort. New scenarios are worth their weight in gold, if you ask me.

(Michael -- Small thing, and not sure if it's rendered this way in the scenario or just your post, but you might consider changing 'Hauptman Johan Clauss' to 'Hauptmann Johann Klaus' If you want a slightly more 'echt' German flavor for the protagonist's name.)

Cool, ill give this one a try once im back from modern warfare, thank you!

Fantastic -- can't wait to try this. Huge thanks for this major effort. New scenarios are worth their weight in gold, if you ask me.

(Michael -- Small thing, and not sure if it's rendered this way in the scenario or just your post, but you might consider changing 'Hauptman Johan Clauss' to 'Hauptmann Johann Klaus' If you want a slightly more 'echt' German flavor for the protagonist's name.)

Nothing "ungerman" with the name "Clauss" though. Not exactly a common name, but definately a german name. If anything, you could add an n to make it Johann, which would be the typical typing. And of course, use a german ß to make it Clauß :D

Cool, ill give this one a try once im back from modern warfare, thank you!

Nothing "ungerman" with the name "Clauss" though. Not exactly a common name, but definately a german name. If anything, you could add an n to make it Johann, which would be the typical typing. And of course, use a german ß to make it Clauß :D

Pretty sure Germans don't use the 'scharfes S' ß to conclude proper names -- 'Straße' for example, but Strauss, Krauss,etc.

Also, Hauptmann definitely has 'zwei N' :)

Edited by sandman2575

Lol well at least through this whole thing I may learn a bit of German. I will look at correcting this when I do an update. I will wait for you guys to play through and see if any game issues arise before I do. I learned alot from doing the "Poppies" campaign for CMBN but I still a novice at this so I am sure some issue will pop up. The name Clauss was taken from an actual friend of mine with the same name but different spelling who is German born. The first name was created but I do like the suggestion of Johann!! Kind of catchy lol.

Looks great, Dragonwynn. Looking very much forward to playing it - once I´ve finished playing Kohlenklau´s CMFI campaign.

And of course I´m very thrilled that you´ve used my Factory mod set for this campaign. Can´t wait to see how it looks :)

PS:

What´s with the mod tag "panzermike"? Confuses me a bit, as there is another forumite with that nick.

Verulam not sure why it is not showing up. Try just copy and paste the.cam file into your Cmrt/campaign folder and see if it shows up. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Solved!  Actually removing the cam file from the folder and placing directly in the cam folder.  Doh not a mistake I usually make.  Anyway awesome campaign.  Appreciate the swift reply.

Lol Umlaut I just randomly named the folder that as well as the modtag. I had no idea there was a panzermike player. Hopefully he will be proud to be part of the inner workings of the campaign lol. Also the first 2 scenarios are in primarily open or wooded terrain but after that you will see your mod at work in various stages. I was really pleased at how your awesome work added to the feel and immersion I was wanting.

Edited by dragonwynn

Lol Umlaut I just randomly named the folder that as well as the modtag. I had no idea there was a panzermike player. Hopefully he will be proud to be part of the inner workings of the campaign lol.

Wonderful coincidence.  :P  And not the worst scenario designer to have - although unwittingly - on your team. Amongst other things, he has made this fine scenario:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/114928-new-file-at-the-repository-cmrt-fester-platz-polozk-2014-07-17/#entry1530211

OK, first thing I want to mention is the obvious excellent description and story immersion that is now a staple trademark of yours. Stupendous job! 

I'm sure you are aware of the discrepancy between modded Tiger textures and vanilla half-tracks and trucks textures. Couldn't you provide modded textures also for all those vehicles that don't have any due to visual consistency? 

Edit: OK, I got it, mod would get too large if you would include all the vehicle textures thus players should apply those mods themselves. Could you be so kind to provide a list of all the arises's modded vehicles that need to be downloaded for your mod or should I just download them all? While we are at it did Aris manage to mod all the vehicles in the game or are some missing still?

Edited by Hister

BUG: First mission seem to have two layers and corresponding two names added on top of each other. Screenshot added. Not much of a serious problem, just not visually nice.

ojzhw.jpg

PROBLEM: First Russian units (tanks with riding infantry) are advancing into their own artillery barrage. 

Spoiler alert:

-

-

-

Awesome barrage I'm getting from the get go! First time I'm being pounded so much in any CM title. :D

How long does the barrage last? I suppose I shouldn't be moving units to the exit zone until it ends? 

Edited by Hister