American campaign is an uphill battle.

Literally!

I thought this would be my favorite CM, but I absolutely suck at it! To the greatest extent!

Please, tell me, when a hill is a 60 degree angle and the enemy is sitting right over your starting area, how you proceed!

I tried to move to their flank, but I just created a new axis for the battle.

I tried to create a base of fire, but my men were too exposed and gunned down.

This is the second and third mission, btw.

I won the first, but it made sense to me.

The disadvantage is very strong here.

SPOILER

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

If you'll search Troina, there are several threads here, BUT, on the second mission you can run your entire oob up the far right side close to the road in defilade. From there you can crawl something with spotting ability to a location so as to call in arty on a few of the positions. Been well over a year since I played that one. It was like beating my head against a wall over and over trying to go up the middle or in that wooded ravine. I don't remember the particulars from there out, but you can work your way up the hill, then use the terrain to concentrate your fire while isolating individual targets.

All I can say is Italy is a bitch-especially h2h with a good opponent. My h2h games proceed at a slow pace as I have to play my turn, digest what happened and plot my next move.

I can pump out turns in Normandy and the Eastern Front pretty rapidly, but Italy is another story. Often times I play back a turn and go uggg and go to something else before returning.

One thing I have begun to notice is while the enemy has the high ground which is a big advantage, there is often "dead space" that you can take advantage of.

Regardless, its more often than not very slow going.

I have had h2h games as the German paras which is fun. Now I'm facing them and its a completely different story.

I see some scenarios as being designed to be challenging but achievable first time through. Others are designed as being something you have to play over and over to win. The second lot I have alone/hate relationship with - frustrated that I am getting slaughtered each time - motivated to find a way to beat it. I couldn't count the number of times I failed on the second Troina mission, which I think clearly falls into the second category (I think it's the second anyway - the one with the three bunkers on the hill). I was really pleased to finally complete it

SPOILERS******

(but slightly put off by the 'gamely?' solution of using far right flank, although I am sure this type of slaughter happened all too often in real life).

END SPOILERS******

I was so traumatised by that mission though that, having had a look at the map on the next mission, I haven't even attempted it.....

So don't feel too hard on yourself! load it up again and try a different approach. I think you learn a lot more through failure than you do through easy wins.

I see some scenarios as being designed to be challenging but achievable first time through. Others are designed as being something you have to play over and over to win. The second lot I have alone/hate relationship with - frustrated that I am getting slaughtered each time - motivated to find a way to beat it. I couldn't count the number of times I failed on the second Troina mission, which I think clearly falls into the second category (I think it's the second anyway - the one with the three bunkers on the hill). I was really pleased to finally complete it

SPOILERS******

(but slightly put off by the 'gamely?' solution of using far right flank, although I am sure this type of slaughter happened all too often in real life).

END SPOILERS******

I was so traumatised by that mission though that, having had a look at the map on the next mission, I haven't even attempted it.....

So don't feel too hard on yourself! load it up again and try a different approach. I think you learn a lot more through failure than you do through easy wins.

I just try too hard to use infantry. Needs to just be patient and root out all enemies with arty.

Patience is my real issue here.

I just try too hard to use infantry. Needs to just be patient and root out all enemies with arty.

Patience is my real issue here.

Yes, from memory there is loads of time in this scenario. I too have a tendency to rush, but gradually learning through dying, if you see what I mean....

If I had to venture a guess CM Italy sufferers the same issues as real life in the America. Its kinda a side show and forgotten theater even though it was the toughest fight for the US Army in WW2.

When Rome was taken it was headline news for just a few days before Normandy took place and then Italy became second page news.

When you think of great American commanders in WW2 you think of Patton, Bradley and Eisenhower.

How many name Mark Clark? How many recent Saving Private Ryan movies or Band of Brother like series can you name that take place in the Italian theater? I know there was one fairly well known movie producer who tried to sell a 442 RCT movie in the states that was a modern version of the old movie "Go For Broke" but was rejected as not worth it and other mainstream remakes like the old one staring Peter Falk-Anzio are also seen as not worth it.

Italy just isn't sexy I guess. Perhaps in today's climate a realistic Salerno or Anzio movie would be deemed too depressing.

Perhaps Italy is viewed differently in Brittan and Canada. IDK...

Perhaps Italy is viewed differently in Brittan and Canada. IDK...

I can not speak for the UK, or other Commonwealth nations, but in Canada it does not get much more attention. In fact even in the day the Canadians who fought in Italy were called D-Day Dodgers. There was a little bit of attention recently after a documentary came out about it - but I mean a little it was a documentary after all:)

I just looked it up and it was not just the Canadians who were referred to as D-Day Dodgers but all Allied Service personnel. In fact it seems they often called them selves that - in a sarcastic way - referring to the fact that their sacrifices and hardship was largely ignored after the Normandy invasion.

I can not speak for the UK, or other Commonwealth nations, but in Canada it does not get much more attention. In fact even in the day the Canadians who fought in Italy were called D-Day Dodgers. There was a little bit of attention recently after a documentary came out about it - but I mean a little it was a documentary after all:)

I just looked it up and it was not just the Canadians who were referred to as D-Day Dodgers but all Allied Service personnel. In fact it seems they often called them selves that - in a sarcastic way - referring to the fact that their sacrifices and hardship was largely ignored after the Normandy invasion.

The phrase is generally believed to have been coined by Lady Astor in the House of Lords with reference to 8th Army veterans in Italy. The context may have been the mutiny at Salerno. Edit: no it can't have been because that was before D-Day - doh! :)

To the tune of Lili Marlene:

We're the D-Day Dodgers out in Italy -

Always on the vino, always on the spree.

Eighth Army scroungers and their tanks

We live in Rome - among the Yanks.

We are the D-Day Dodgers, over here in Italy.

We landed at Salerno, a holiday with pay,

Jerry brought the band down to cheer us on our way

Showed us the sights and gave us tea,.

We all sang songs, the beer was free.

We are the D-Day Dodgers, way out in Italy.[2]

The Volturno and Cassino were taken in our stride[3]

We didn't have to fight there. We just went for the ride.

Anzio and Sangro were all forlorn.

We did not do a thing from dusk to dawn.[4]

For we are the D-Day Dodgers, over here in Italy.

On our way to Florence we had a lovely time.

We ran a bus to Rimini right through the Gothic Line.

On to Bologna we did go.

Then we went bathing in the Po.

For we are the D-Day Dodgers, over here in Italy.

Once we had a blue light that we were going home

Back to dear old Blighty, never more to roam.

Then somebody said in France you'll fight.

We said never mind, we'll just sit tight,

The windy D-Day Dodgers, out in Sunny Italy.

Now Lady Astor, get a load of this.

Don't stand up on a platform and talk a load of piss.

You're the nation's sweetheart, the nation's pride

We think your mouth's too bloody wide.

We are the D-Day Dodgers, in Sunny Italy.

When you look 'round the mountains, through the mud and rain

You'll find the crosses, some which bear no name.

Heartbreak, and toil and suffering gone

The boys beneath them slumber on

They were the D-Day Dodgers, who'll stay in Italy.[5]

So listen all you people, over land and foam

Even though we've parted, our hearts are close to home.

When we return we hope you'll say

"You did your little bit, though far away

All of the D-Day Dodgers, way out there in Italy.

It is a truism in some of the battles that the FO or HQ that calls in artillery is king. I find myself doing a lot of probing and sneaking around using recon by taking fire to pinpoint enemy positions to use artillery on.

On the other hand some of the battles utilize combined arms and can be very interesting.

Let me think of all the war movies that took place in Italy I've seen-Anzio, Go For Broke, To Hell and Back-had some parts take place in Italy. Patton...

A movie about a P-47 pilot who got shot down-can't recall the name-it was a black and white film...

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Von Ryan's Express, it was in colour, and a P38 pilot. Maybe we are thinking of two different movies in Italy?

I was going to mention Von Ryans Express, but wasn't 100% sure it was set in Italy.

The movie about the P-47 Pilot I'm thinking about was in black and white. IIRC he gets shot down and escapes with the assistance of Italian partisans.

• 2 weeks later...

The movie with Rock was called "Hornet's Nest" and it was set in Italy/Sicily.

Some young partisans find injured flier and kidnap hot German nurse to get him healthy.

Hot nurse running around in her ripped up clothes and moving like that I didn't care she was a German... oh wait wrong forum