Campaign WIP: Tiger Trail

Mr.X

23 minutes ago, Commanderski said:

I'm reading that book now and it's very interesting. Good material for the upcoming module. Volume 2 is coming out later in the year.

Nash has a pleasant style of writing and is an expert in this field. His book on the 272.Volksgrenadier Division is also very good btw.

And yes, good material for the coming module. Volume 2 concentrates on the winter battles in Hungary. Hell's Gate, his book on the battle of Cherkassy remains my favorite Eastern front book.

Edited by Aragorn2002

@Aragorn:

Nash‘s book is indeed very good - have  bought it two weeks ago - 

but I think, its story starts at the end of July 1944 with the fighting around Siedlce. 

Because of my grandfathers I own almost every book about „SS Totenkopf“, from the beginning to the end.

The best material to use for CM is the impressive huge work of Vopersal. 

Regards 

Frank

34 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

@Aragorn:

but I think, its story starts at the end of July 1944 with the fighting around Siedlce. 

Because of my grandfathers I own almost every book about „SS Totenkopf“, from the beginning to the end.

Regards 

Frank

You're right, Frank. The book does start at the end of July 1944. I also own Vopersal's books, they are excellent too, although harder to read than Nash, they are very detailed.

I take it you also have Schneider's book on the Tiger company of Totenkopf?

Yes, Aragorn, Schneider also belongs to my mini-library.  Also Michael Wood's book about the 3rd SS Tigers.

My main source consists of:

Vopersal I - Vb

Schneider and Wood specifically for the Tigers

History of SS Pio-Battalion

History of 4th / SS-Art.Reg.3

History of 1st Cp/SS-Panzer-Regiment 3

Hinze, Collapse of Army Group Centre 1944

M.Yerger's books about the personal of the Division

History of the "Panther"-Abteilung of 3rd SS

There are more interesting books, especially personal biographics of former Totenkopf-Members and the superb book series about the 

SS-Totenkopf-Standarten 1933-39 by M.van Dijken.

With the help of these sources, I try to make the campaign halfway historical correct, but priority should be the playability.

Regards

Frank

8 hours ago, Mr.X said:

Yes, Aragorn, Schneider also belongs to my mini-library.  Also Michael Wood's book about the 3rd SS Tigers.

My main source consists of:

Vopersal I - Vb

Schneider and Wood specifically for the Tigers

History of SS Pio-Battalion

History of 4th / SS-Art.Reg.3

History of 1st Cp/SS-Panzer-Regiment 3

Hinze, Collapse of Army Group Centre 1944

M.Yerger's books about the personal of the Division

History of the "Panther"-Abteilung of 3rd SS

There are more interesting books, especially personal biographics of former Totenkopf-Members and the superb book series about the 

SS-Totenkopf-Standarten 1933-39 by M.van Dijken.

With the help of these sources, I try to make the campaign halfway historical correct, but priority should be the playability.

Regards

Frank

That's quite a collection, Frank. Is the Tiger book by Wood worth buying?

I sometimes wish the history of the Heer divisions was as well documentated as that of the Waffen SS. Some infantry divisions don't even have their own divisional history book, although they also bore the brunt of the fighting. I own lots of divisional and regimental histories, but few of them are as detailed as that of the famous Waffen SS or Heer divisions. Hopefully future historians will fill that gap.

Wood is ok, many interesting pictures and some detailed info, but interestingly Wood‘s story partly contradicts the story, Schneider is telling. Not sure, who is wrong...Schneider has more Knowledge of German Language, Wood seems a little bit more precise...optimal for scenario-designing😬🤪

The best divisional histories of Heeres Units I have, are these:

1. 4.Panzer-Division

2. 129. Infantry Division

3. 5. Jäger-Division

4. 3. Panzergrenadier-Division

Regards

Frank

5 hours ago, Mr.X said:

Wood is ok, many interesting pictures and some detailed info, but interestingly Wood‘s story partly contradicts the story, Schneider is telling. Not sure, who is wrong...Schneider has more Knowledge of German Language, Wood seems a little bit more precise...optimal for scenario-designing😬🤪

The best divisional histories of Heeres Units I have, are these:

1. 4.Panzer-Division

2. 129. Infantry Division

3. 5. Jäger-Division

4. 3. Panzergrenadier-Division

Regards

Frank

I especially agree on the 2 volumes for the 4. Panzer Division. Very detailed and thorough.

Problem is that divisional history books are pricey and only a few new books are published every year in a limited edition. If you're not quick to buy, you have to pay double or triple the normal price.

21 hours ago, Mr.X said:

@Aragorn:

Regards 

Frank

Nash seems to have obtained the War Diaries of the German 2nd Army from the Russian archives for the period of the end of July and the beginning of August 1944, which includes much information about 4.SS Pz.K. until now these files were missing.

Edited by Aragorn2002

• 1 month later...

I have created 3 campaigns from 2011 to 2014, but this is the hugest one. 
It is a beast. And making  Master-Maps sometimes is a feeling like working in the hell😱

There are Four Maps of around 2 x 2 km, one Map of around 650 x 650m and at the moment, I am struggeling with a map of 3 x 1,8 km😬

And still two more maps waiting...

16 hours ago, Mr.X said:

I have created 3 campaigns from 2011 to 2014, but this is the hugest one. 
It is a beast. And making  Master-Maps sometimes is a feeling like working in the hell😱

There are Four Maps of around 2 x 2 km, one Map of around 650 x 650m and at the moment, I am struggeling with a map of 3 x 1,8 km😬

And still two more maps waiting...

What other campaigns have you made mate? 😁

@Boche:

I made three campaigns:

A Bloody Ride - CMBN 2011 - 7 to 8 battles with Panzerlehr-Division

Welcome to Sicily - CMFI 2013 or 2014 - 3 battles with allied Troops in July 43

Zawiya Uprising - CMSF I 2014 - 8 battles, Red vs Red 

These are available in the repository.

I have never made much Promotion for my work.

And from 2014 to 2020, children, work and Real Life stopped any ambition to create more content.

44 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

@Boche:

I made three campaigns:

A Bloody Ride - CMBN 2011 - 7 to 8 battles with Panzerlehr-Division

Welcome to Sicily - CMFI 2013 or 2014 - 3 battles with allied Troops in July 43

Zawiya Uprising - CMSF I 2014 - 8 battles, Red vs Red 

These are available in the repository.

I have never made much Promotion for my work.

I didn't realize that you had done those.  I enjoyed A Bloody Ride.  But I thought that your Zawiya Uprising was one of the best CMSF campaigns, probably the best and most enjoyable Red vs Red campaign of all.  (The Road to Dinas was also very good, but some missions were so hard and I had to replay quite a few just to make it through, so that pushes it into 2nd place after yours.)

I will have to try Welcome to Sicily, altho" CMFI is my least favorite game family.   Looking forward to your next and hope you do more campaigns as the two campaigns of yours that I have played were well worth it.  I am sure they were a lot of work to design.  Thank you...

"And from 2014 to 2020, children, work and Real Life stopped any ambition to create more content."  Yes, you need to get rid of all of those distractions...   ^_^

Edited by Erwin