Target not so briefly

A co

It is an excellent feature and I used it a lot during play testing.

Though I still from time to time hit the 'J' key place the target and then think "nah I want it over there" 'J' click nothing happens 'J' why 'J' won't 'J' it 'J' target where I want. Oh yeah I just increased the target time on my first order. Ooops and I always chuckle at my self as I cancel the target order.

Though I still from time to time hit the 'J' key place the target and then think "nah I want it over there" 'J' click nothing happens 'J' why 'J' won't 'J' it 'J' target where I want. Oh yeah I just increased the target time on my first order. Ooops and I always chuckle at my self as I cancel the target order.

So THAT'S what's happening! I was having trouble with the J key last session, but didn't make the connection. Thanks!

Yeah, one needs to get used to that. I made a hotkey of CANCEL TARGET so it is easy to move it. Also, I find I grab "TARGET LIGHT" if I want to still look around without canceling.

Gotta' post again to say what a great addition to the game this is. Many times, the first 15 sec is spent getting ready to fire and then the command effect ends without result. Now, that can be controlled to allow for prep time, plus a "brief" period of actually firing on the target.

AWESOME!

Yeah, we are very different indeed. I never bothered assigning a hot key to cancel because the vast majority of the time I want to cancel it is because I just want to target somewhere else which can be accomplished by hitting the target key again. The new behaviour of the 'J' key makes that not work. A change I will gladly adapt to and am not complaining about at all :) I never thought of assigning a hot key to the cancel command I'm on it now. What key would be best I wonder...

Indeed it is explained there. As it was so far from the forest line where I started my assault I did not use "Target Briefly" with 30 secs or so as the grunts never would have gotten that far in CMSF which is the game I have played most unfortunately. In CMSF they would have been running in circles/walked/crashed into each other for at least 2 minutes before getting to that hill. Not in CMRT where they gallantly stormed the hill in bounds and two of the guys in the manouvre team got blown to pieces by the 85mm HE rounds pounding that trench...

So - I read the manual, ignored it and two of my brave soldiers payed the ultimate price for that ;)

Will use Target Briefly x 2 next time I do a close quarters assault...

You didn't have a hotkey for Cancel Target before ? :eek:

How other people play the game so differently constantly amazes me. ( not meant in a sarky way )

I never used it often enough to warrant a hotkey, and always just accessed it via the space bar menu. If you want to control this game, or any like a pro get a mouse with as many programmable buttons (I LOVE my MX revolution by Logitech), and a Nostromo speedpad. Here is my set up showing the top gear which has all the most used commands such as movement, combat and a few other specials or camera controls. All the less common used commands such as administrative I access from the spacebar pop up menu. The red gear is all the Alt toggle commands, and the green gear is number keys which I use rarely as they are also tied to my mouse. The red highlight is where I put CANCEL TARGET. The Nostromo allows macros too, so I actually have a hotkey for indefinite pause, which I use much when I play real time. Best pieces of hardware I ever invested in. I can honestly say I control CM as fast as I have any very fast paced real time game. I AM the fastest gun in the west. Anyone want to play me real time? ;)

Nostomosetup.jpg

Make note: "Never play Vinnart."

Actualy the note should be "Never play Vin real time unless you have the same, or similiar equipment". Unless you do you would be at big disadvantage. It realy comes down to equipment, being able to organize the controlers logicaly, and having the muscle memory by feel down pat.