Well, I did it and BOY is my wife gonna be pissed!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pffffff...

The Peng Thread (emphasis mine) makes the rest of us look like a Freakin' Literary Society...just not literally. Not that I've ever read it, mind you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm. Still haven't heard from pcpilot. So I guess he's OK with my rambling incoherently. Canadian beer will do that to you.

@ pcpilot

Now the Californians. What can I possibly say about The Californians? Quite a bit, actually. But I will spare you all the hard feelings and myself the humiliation of then having to ask forgiveness because that is what we Canadians do.

PC, I am truly sorry for derailing your thread. If it be your wish that I refrain from any further comment (in this thread only, mind you), I shall abide out of respect for my Neighbors to the West who see the sun shine for a full three hundred and sixty-five f*u*c*k*i*n*g days of the year.

It won't be easy, but I will comply. It's your call.

Actually, Ive been enjoying the conversation but didn't really want anyone to know that being the old contrary fart that I am. So you may continue to derail, its a pleasure listening to you all. As for California, I remember when it was a nice place to be. Now, I would probably join you in bad mouthing it. Then we would both have to apologize to someone I suppose.

Having recently had the pleasure of visiting the States for the first time, I have to agree - how can the greatest of countries have got it so wrong??

Well what can you expect if you buy your beer in a supermarket? Of course it's crap! If you want the real deal, you have to know somebody who knows somebody who knows about this dark little hole where they only brew forty barrels a year, but it's the grandest thing since God created yeast and told Adam to plant some hops.

:)

Michael

We must be living in a parallel universe version of America. Because where I am, I'm practically swimming in every possible variety of excellent beer, from both local breweries and nationwide ones. This might shock people, but we have more than Budweiser around. Just like Europe has more than Heineken.

The sad truth is half the people posting about 'great' beer or whiskey wouldn't know a good batch from a bad one after maybe 3 drinks anyways. They still pay out the @ss for expensive middle of the road crap regardless. I'll tell you what a good drink is. Something that you happen to like at a reasonable price. :)

And I agree...I've seen better insults in here than the Peng thread so far. :P

Of course I joke but one of the last places I went to (I am looking at you, South Dakota) had Budweiser and coors lite for selection. Then I had to go to San Diego for business and I got spoiled. Beer and fish tacos for $8 at a place called El Pulpo. San Diego is now my favourite place in the states. (Sadly the beer was Mexican but the fish tacos were to die for - so I guess the food was also)

Too bad we cannot get together and bring our worst beers. Here it would be a toss up between Lucky Lager or Big Bear nothing says class like 64oz (1.9 litres) of malt liquor

Give me a nice Alexander Keith's any day or Original 16; decent price and good on a hot day.

Most places I have been to have great beer. Japan and Philippines also have some good beers. It's drinking the really bad ones (and Bud, though bad does not even come close to lucky Lager) and still having a smile on your lips that makes you a man.

Nearly everywhere I went (which wasn't a lot in only a month) I found great beer. My liver and I will be returning :)

There was a nice little pub in Radium/BC and a lot of beer I have fond memories of!

My remaining brain cells and liver however remain unconvinced.

We must be living in a parallel universe version of America. Because where I am, I'm practically swimming in every possible variety of excellent beer, from both local breweries and nationwide ones. This might shock people, but we have more than Budweiser around. Just like Europe has more than Heineken.

The sad truth is that we have to blame Heineken on the USA.

Three days after Prohibition ended in the United States, the first Heineken shipment landed in New York. From that day on, Heineken has remained one of the most successful imported beer brands in the United States, and became a big brand in Europe and the rest of the world as well.

The expression on an American face when they realise just what sort of mess they have got themselves into after going to the pub with a bunch of Scots (Irish/German/Russian work too, along with others..) is always priceless. It is a mixture of a sort of nauseated horror at the mention of "another round!" coupled with a despairing look at the mound of empty glassware on the table and a half full pint of cheap liver-killer still in hand...

Oh I love my country dearly, but if Tenants and Foster up and exploded the national health would improve massively.

Actually, Ive been enjoying the conversation but didn't really want anyone to know that being the old contrary fart that I am. So you may continue to derail, its a pleasure listening to you all. As for California, I remember when it was a nice place to be. Now, I would probably join you in bad mouthing it. Then we would both have to apologize to someone I suppose.

co-pilot to pcpilot: "Which of these buttons is the Auto-Pilot?"

You Sir, are a truly gracious host.

As for bad-mouthing Cali, how can I possibly "go there" when you've got Sunsets, San Francisco, The Eagles and the best drive in the world ("Highway One" in the southbound lane, to be precise). Oh, and did I mention "Anchor Steam" beer and Da Raiders of the Black Hole?

The expression on an American face when they realise just what sort of mess they have got themselves into after going to the pub with a bunch of Scots...

You have learned well, Grasshopper. Thanks for making the distinction between Americans and their Canadian cousins.

Flashback to Christmas, 1986: Shropshire, England. Pub crawl with "The Irrepressible Scot", Steven McConnville (whose father was a Guinness distributor at the time). Eight bloody pints later (none of them a Guinness), he's waving a white flag. I have out-drunk a Brit in his own backyard, so to speak. Another urban myth shattered.

I even kept a record of every pint I imbibed that night. Good thing, too, as I can't even remember how in the bejeesus we made it home.

For the record, it was the "Owd Roger" that did me in. That stuff is vile, even after your seventh pint.

Aaach...so much beer, so little liver.

Banesy! With a signature like yours? How could you?

"Visit Scotland, if Only Because a Brain Cell is a Terrible Thing (Not) to Waste"

*paid for by the Brewers' Retail of Ontario, purveyors of "vaguely beerish frozen swill" to the common man since Banesy's Gran Pappy invented fire.

One of life's guilty pleasures is serving a Marmite sandwich to an American.

Watching their expression change as their tastebuds process is priceless :D

... apologies for derailing the beer thread... ;)

Not all of us. I like the stuff!

Hey, my breakfast almost every day for the past 6 years and counting has been a bowl of natto and genmai rice, with an umeboshi on top (the soft, homemade kind, with shiso leaves).

Yum!

Ah...genmai magic. Eat that 2-3 times a day, like I do, and you need never purchase Metamucil again.

Not all of us. I like the stuff!

Hey, my breakfast almost every day for the past 6 years and counting has been a bowl of natto and genmai rice, with an umeboshi on top (the soft, homemade kind, with shiso leaves).

Yum!

Ah...genmai magic. Eat that 2-3 times a day, like I do, and you need never purchase Metamucil again.

LOL I hear ya. The only item I could never get into in Japan for breakfast was the cold eggs. Could never understand the attraction. Fortunately it was almost always served with warm rice so I'd just mix it up. The Ryokan I usually stayed at mixed it up a lot though so I could count on having fish most days and the egg just once in a while.