Shooting prisoners and T-34's Blowing their top

Felix_45

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that putting units real close to the enemy speeds up the surrender process. Driving a tank past them seemed to work splendid too :) Surrendering troops picking up their weapons is not uncommon in cm, but I don't see a problem with it. And for the take no prisoners type of game area fire from units that haven't spotted the surrendering enemy or high caliber rounds work fine.

IIRC, this went on for at least 5 turns before I lost patience and opened fire.

The problem was that there was another row of bocage only 50 meters away on the other side of the heavy woods. My opponent had units behind that bocage and I think their proximity is what prevented the white flag.

wt0z.jpg

Your capturing units NEED TO BE IN COMMAND. It simulates the "passing back" of the prisoner. Or something. (At least, that's my understanding of it.)

Put a unit with comms to a higher hq (maybe just one echelon above it) next to the guy trying to surrender, and you'll get a white flag very quickly. It can only be slowed if there are enough enemy units close enough to "contest" it.

Ken

Your capturing units NEED TO BE IN COMMAND. It simulates the "passing back" of the prisoner. Or something. (At least, that's my understanding of it.)

Put a unit with comms to a higher hq (maybe just one echelon above it) next to the guy trying to surrender, and you'll get a white flag very quickly. It can only be slowed if there are enough enemy units close enough to "contest" it.

Ken

Like this? (taken one turn later when the radio started working again)

5j4m.jpg

Or this? (taken about 7 turns earlier)

v3m5.jpg

I tried. I had the German-speaking negotiating team right there. I am confident that I will be cleared by any board of inquiry.

Like I said, I think it was the German units behind another line of bocage about 50 meters away.

I've found that surrender times can be very variable, and don't really seem to depend much on the state of my troops; more on the state of the surrenderers (which makes sense). Sometimes you get the flag within a minute or two, even though you're quite a way away. Other times, you have to wait 5 minutes, even if you've got the two top-tier HQs sat in adjacent AS of the POWs-in-waiting, having moved up to allow your front line troops to take their next bound and there are no comrades of the surrenderer within 200m.

Will we get the option to shoot prisoners since we are playing the Russian front? I was just playing out a scenario the other day where a German soldier was kneeling with his hands up after a few turns picked up his rifle and started to spray bullets and my merciful men. Would have like to have the option to shoot him first. :):):)

Decals are nice for tank hits but watching a T-34 blow it's top would be cool.

It would be interesting, I agree. Especially tank turrets thrown up in the air, after a hit. It is one of the reasons why I loved the Steel Beasts tanksim.

Like this? (taken one turn later when the radio started working again)

5j4m.jpg

Or this? (taken about 7 turns earlier)

v3m5.jpg

I tried. I had the German-speaking negotiating team right there. I am confident that I will be cleared by any board of inquiry.

Like I said, I think it was the German units behind another line of bocage about 50 meters away.

LOL! I guess he was conflicted about it. ;)

I suppose you never know for sure. People are strange. But given the fact that the "prisoner" was effectively acting as a spy behind my lines with an excellent view of my preparations for the next assault, I feel I was justified. If such a thing had been possible in the real war there would have been a lot fewer surrenders accepted.

Joining a gaming club (there are several..but I'm in WeBoB) cuts *way* down on opponents abandoning games.

I always thought surrendered troops improved your score and killing surrendered troops cost you points..is that correct?

I know that surrendered troops do improve your score, at least once they go "white flag". They are counted as "Missing" on the score screen and I believe improve you score in the same way as killing or wounding enemy troops do.

I do not know if killing surrendered troops, before they "white flag", affects your score in any way. My guess would be that the game would simply count them as KIA or Wounded.....

Is it possible to have the game award points for providing medical attention so a guy is WIA instead of KIA? In my games I always make that a priority as it seems the right thing to do. But, there is no reward.

At the very least it should give a morale bump to the troops in the next mission in a campaign (or maybe a few extra replacements?).

Is it possible to have the game award points for providing medical attention so a guy is WIA instead of KIA? In my games I always make that a priority as it seems the right thing to do. But, there is no reward.

At the very least it should give a morale bump to the troops in the next mission in a campaign (or maybe a few extra replacements?).

I don't think so, Erwin. The only reward the game gives you, other than peace of mind, is when you provide buddy aid to the wounded, the aiding unit often acquires ammo and weapons from the wounded soldiers.

I don't think so, Erwin. The only reward the game gives you, other than peace of mind, is when you provide buddy aid to the wounded, the aiding unit often acquires ammo and weapons from the wounded soldiers.

I thought for sure buddy aid means it is less likely the casualty will become KIA and thus fewer points to the enemy.

Yes, providing buddy aid will reduce the number of KIA and instead give you more WIA, but as far as I know, KIA and WIA give exactly the same amount of points. As far as the final score, you would get the same amount of points for causing 50 KIA and 100 WIA as you would for causing 150 KIA and no WIA. They are all considered "casualties".

I'm talking about quick battles.

For scenarios, the scenario designer can fiddle with the points, but I don't know if he can award different amount of points for KIA VS WIA. Can someone confirm/deny?

I'm curious: what tactical value do you believe exists that would justify the inclusion of the ability to shoot prisoners? What thrill would you derive that's worth not just one but three smilies?

1) you cant disarm surrendering soldiers and send em back to the POW camp in CM &

2) sometimes a surrendering soldier in CM will pick up his weapon again and start shooting.

If they cant be disarmed and there is the possibility of them starting to shoot again, they still pose a threat, even if their arms are above their heads momentarily, so their are legitimate targets and eliminating them would give you a tactical advantage.