BFC, ? re Forum Rules & Capcha

BFC,

Regarding the Forum Rules, I feel trapped.

In seeking to comply with the Moon Dictum, it's a) hard to communicate effectively with my wargaming brethren, because I have to be ever careful to break links, so as not to clash with the "no commercial links," but B) this gets me numerous overt complaints on the Forums and even PEMs. Try as I might, I've so far found no viable solution.

Many have pointed out "BFC doesn't care about those kinds of (informational) links" and link without a second thought, but having gotten a Moon Rocket AKA Infraction, over just such an exercise, I don't feel safe in chancing another one. Moon takes an absolutist position on the matter, which is why I call it a dictum, but I'd like to request that the link policy be reviewed. Further, may I request that, once such a determination is made, it be notified to the Forumites and thereafter be consistently enforced? As things stand, some are linking with impunity, while others, who've stepped on a Rule mine as I have, are hobbling about and warily watching for tripwires and those little prongs! Now to that new vexed matter.

Recently, I was quite shocked to discover that, for unknown reasons, Search now requires an annoying Capcha type thing be done. It's hard to read (putting it mildly, and the replacement ones are often just as bad), and I pity the color blind. Why oh why do we have to deal with this IMO useless time wasting, er, feature? Were bots having their way with Search and consuming enormous bandwidth or what? I don't get it.

Thanks for your attention to these matters.

Regards,

John Kettler

Best advice I can give you is try not to post so many links and be very selective and double check them aswell...when you post as many links as your goodself your bound to fall foul of the rule.

Sure many here have had an infraction at some point..I have. Don't fret over it..just avoid any chance of it happening again.

What maybe best..is if you create a new website full of the links you come across, make sure it is organised etc and then you can add links to that and then just have a link to the new website in your sig?

The website would become a good way to quickly find useful web pages and prob be a big help to many.

BFC,

Regarding the Forum Rules, I feel trapped.

In seeking to comply with the Moon Dictum, it's a) hard to communicate effectively with my wargaming brethren, because I have to be ever careful to break links, so as not to clash with the "no commercial links," but B) this gets me numerous overt complaints on the Forums and even PEMs. Try as I might, I've so far found no viable solution.

Many have pointed out "BFC doesn't care about those kinds of (informational) links" and link without a second thought, but having gotten a Moon Rocket AKA Infraction, over just such an exercise, I don't feel safe in chancing another one. Moon takes an absolutist position on the matter, which is why I call it a dictum, but I'd like to request that the link policy be reviewed. Further, may I request that, once such a determination is made, it be notified to the Forumites and thereafter be consistently enforced? As things stand, some are linking with impunity, while others, who've stepped on a Rule mine as I have, are hobbling about and warily watching for tripwires and those little prongs! Now to that new vexed matter.

Recently, I was quite shocked to discover that, for unknown reasons, Search now requires an annoying Capcha type thing be done. It's hard to read (putting it mildly, and the replacement ones are often just as bad), and I pity the color blind. Why oh why do we have to deal with this IMO useless time wasting, er, feature? Were bots having their way with Search and consuming enormous bandwidth or what? I don't get it.

Thanks for your attention to these matters.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 4 weeks later...

Moon,

The connectivity issues are now resolved, I no longer have to deal with that Capcha, but I still have no BFC (from anybody) response to my request for a clarification of Forum Rules on links and the uniform handling of links from an enforcement perspective. I would further request that serious consideration be given to expanding the realm of acceptable links.

As recently as last night, I had to refrain from posting a link to a really useful site on the PTAB bomblet in the Russian CAS thread, but note many others feel no such constraint when posting the links to their finds. And though it's not my intention to do so, I'm certain my not posting proper links is making some of my colleagues unhappy, too.

Wodin and Baneman,

Your idea would be sound, but given my already demonstrated lack of techno savvy here, putting up my own site isn't going to fly. The only reason I have a site myself is because my longtime friend is a web wizard. I write the content. For me, it's an achievement presently to get the oft demanding comments handled and heavily researched posts out. If BFC were willing to put up some sort of a link repository on the Forum, that would be fantastic. Someone else could also start a site of the type you describe, and it could become an online access tool to the mounds of research we've in aggregate found and noted for our fellow gamers.

Regards,

John Kettler