Producers of Brad Pitt's new movie provoked outrage when they filmed Nazi war scenes in an English village early in the morning on Remembrance Sunday.

American director David Ayer staged pre-dawn explosions in Shirburn, Oxfordshire and had extras act out battle scenes dressed as Nazis as the rest of the UK readied itself to honour the nation's fallen heroes.

It just occured to me if more museum 'rented' out their vehicles they could make a pretty penny for vehicle upkeep.

On the other hand, they would suffer more wear and tear, and spares might not be all that easy to come by. Insurance, which presumably the movie company would pay for, would be very steep too.

Michael

One thing that has always puzzled me about tanks in movies is this:

Why don´t Hollywood build their own exact replicas of for instance Tigers - instead of dressing T-34´s or whatever up? They spend millions and millions of dollars on making movies - and on several occasions they´ve built replicas of 200 year old sailing ships from scratch. Building a Tiger replica should be relatively cheap compared to that.

Anyone know why?

I think creating near exact replicas doesn't matter to those bank rolling the films (sadly).

"To make a replica of high quality takes enormous amounts of machine time and fabrication work - there are no shortcuts." The prices would probably be a bit over half a mil for just a single vehicle as well. That's the word from these guys who seem to do very good replicas.

http://www.site.ww2mv.com/German_Replica_Tanks.html

Ships also have other uses. Ths ship used in "Master and commander" for example was used and doubled as both ships in the movie. Fox paid $1,5 million for her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Surprise_(replica_ship)

Also when you read up on movies, you see that many replicas are made so they look good on film, but can look very cheap when examined up close.

Well, that is kinda my point Sgt Joch: All the replica has to do is look good on film. It doesn´t have to be nearly as exact as the ones you´re talking about, Saferight.

When I said "exact replicas" I should probably have said "visually exact replicas"

As long as the outer parts look convincing the rest doesn´t really matter. You won´t need an original engine, transmission or turret motor. And noone will be able to tell if the armor is actually only 15 mm´s thick, instead of 100.

I´m not saying it is going to be cheap, but considering the amount of money Hollywood normally spend on props, special effects and whathaveyou I can´t see why it would topple the budget.

And why use it only once? Considering the amount of WWII movies that is being made, a Tiger could probably star in a movie every other year.

One thing that has always puzzled me about tanks in movies is this:

Why don´t Hollywood build their own exact replicas of for instance Tigers - instead of dressing T-34´s or whatever up? They spend millions and millions of dollars on making movies - and on several occasions they´ve built replicas of 200 year old sailing ships from scratch. Building a Tiger replica should be relatively cheap compared to that.

Your wait is over! Get ready for The Monument Men. In addition to an all-star cast (George Clooney! Matt Damon!) and facsimiles of Great Western Art the film will feature an actual, running Tiger tank borrowed from the Bovington Tank Museum. Who will end up crushed under its mighty treads? Bill Murray?

http://animalnewyork.com/2013/monuments-men-watch-george-clooney-save-art-from-the-nazis/

But the desert camo has to go:

article_0_126_C5139000005_DC_844_634x438.jpg

windows screen capture

For the movie A Bridge Too Far, a number of replica Shermans were created by putting a fiberglass shell over the chassis of Volkswagens (I'm fairly sure they were Volkswagens). These were used to flesh out the shots where a whole bunch of tanks were lined up on the highway. For the up close action shots real Shermans were used.

Michael