How do you kill a Tiger?

From my reading I've surmised that the standard Allied tactic in dealing with Tiger tanks was: Don't. The Allies appear to have learned the hard way to use the greater mobility of their tanks to work their way around Tigers. But the scale of this game doesn't work that way so I'm wondering what folks here do to commit Tiger tankicide. It seems like they can be plonked on some hill and just blaze away at all they survey. Thanks for any help!

Think the best way to catch a tiger is by its tail, next best thing is to take its eyes out.

If you want some practice, VB1 point 213 Allied vs AI Version gives you about five or six in 35 min.

While building VB games have been surprised at how quick a Tiger can lose... its loss of firepower, loss of optics or its 88, in addition under heavy attack they will bail.

Think one reason why so many tigers were lost at Viller-Bocage (Seven in one day) and the same for gamers is over confidence in the Tigers.

Massive firepower.

Throw everything you have at one tiger at a time (preferably without the others seeing and shooting at you) and you might destroy its optics, tracks or gun.

Failing that, Air Support and Artillery might have some success (especially if they are parked on a hill.)

But your best bet would be flankin on both sides at once if you can. Preferrably at short ranges. Keep moving to take advantage of the tigers relatively slow rotation speed and you might take it out.

It's a tough nut to crack tho.

Unless you have firefly's... then it's a piece of cake :)

If they're bold enough to sit on a hill, you might be able to detrack them with an intense mortar (pref 81mm+) mission (mortars so the strike comes in before they move), and then kill them with a heavier calibre strike. You'll at least get them to displace off the exposed hill.

It's funny you ask it as just last night I played a well designed battle for FI titled 'Catch a Tiger' iirc where you have exactly that nightmare situation: a reinforced inf platoon with three bazookas coming into a gully where at the bottom they spot an immobilized monster across a small bridge. Unluckily the monster is stll alive and kicking, and some enemy troops are moving around it.

I was able and lucky enough to catch it by its tail, making a penetrating shot on the turrett's rear by the best bazooka's team I had who was able to move undetected to a vantage and close position, while the rest on the troops were attacking from a different direction and the mortar playing havoc around the immobilized tank to all the squads who were nearby and in the hope of finding the lucky hit.

I did not need the at gun coming up as reinforcement as the enemy collapsed very quickly after I also knocked out another armored car. A good scenario where you have to apply several basic notions, and be very careful in moving the troops.

I revisited The Scottish Corridor after bug fixing was done on Tigers - previously in 3rd scenario where you have to defend against incoming German troops, only few of my shots disabled their main gun and they were done for. Now I've been pounding the first tiger from all sides with one British 6 punder AT gun and two piat teams from the side and rear. Although I managed to score two full penetrations and 4 partial penetrations plus lots of other metal denting that fuc**r is still moving around and shooting my good boys. AND there is still one more such beast to be taken care of. I'll be wiped out before my firefly arrives...

Oh the drama. Tigers really feel like Tigers now. Cudos to the dev team!

I revisited The Scottish Corridor after bug fixing was done on Tigers - previously in 3rd scenario where you have to defend against incoming German troops, only few of my shots disabled their main gun and they were done for. Now I've been pounding the first tiger from all sides with one British 6 punder AT gun and two piat teams from the side and rear. Although I managed to score two full penetrations and 4 partial penetrations plus lots of other metal denting that fuc**r is still moving around and shooting my good boys. AND there is still one more such beast to be taken care of. I'll be wiped out before my firefly arrives...

Oh the drama. Tigers really feel like Tigers now. Cudos to the dev team!

Are you sure, maybe you are just having a Tiger having a lucky day.

I have done no testing yet, but tigers still appear to loose their guns to damage pretty easy.

But I could be mistaken, I have games running 2.01 and 2.10 so I could be remembering the wrong version of where I am seeing it happen.

It would be nice if they did adjust that, it was too common to lose the gun to damage.

It's funny you ask it as just last night I played a well designed battle for FI titled 'Catch a Tiger' iirc where you have exactly that nightmare situation: a reinforced inf platoon with three bazookas coming into a gully where at the bottom they spot an immobilized monster across a small bridge. Unluckily the monster is stll alive and kicking, and some enemy troops are moving around it.

I was able and lucky enough to catch it by its tail, making a penetrating shot on the turrett's rear by the best bazooka's team I had who was able to move undetected to a vantage and close position, while the rest on the troops were attacking from a different direction and the mortar playing havoc around the immobilized tank to all the squads who were nearby and in the hope of finding the lucky hit.

I did not need the at gun coming up as reinforcement as the enemy collapsed very quickly after I also knocked out another armored car. A good scenario where you have to apply several basic notions, and be very careful in moving the troops.

I tried that scenario three or four different ways and still could not get close enough before I was spotted and blasted into bloody pieces. You must have figured out something I missed. If I wasn't daunted by the editor I would modify the map to either make the woods along the creek bed denser or extend the map along the far side of the ridge so that it can be used as a covered approach.

Michael

Thx for the responses! I've played the CMBN games a fair amount but not near as much as I'd like and so haven't messed with the Tigers very much. I remember I played the German side in one of the CMBB scenarios and there was a forested road that led up to a bridge. I put a Tiger on the road in the woods so it was impossible to get a shot at it x for directly to the front. But the Tiger would take out anything that tried to get in position to fire on it. It was one of those situations where I guess the enemy just would've had to have found another route - the stream couldn't be forded in the scenario. It makes me think of something I'd LOVE to see in CMBN: bridging. I don't know if the capability to build a bridge within the time parameters of CMBN existed in those days tho.

SPOILER

In that scenario I passed one bazooka across the creek, one along the creek, and one towards the farm near the bridge. Each was accompanied by some infantry.

They got cut down by various snipers, machineguns, etc.

However, I did use the mortar to blast the bridge area and kill/suppress the German troops. Then the mortar smoked the Tiger. That gave the 57mm time to setup. I pegged the Tiger with many, many rounds of 57mm. Some penetrated the turret. Most ricocheted. Eventually the Tiger crew fled.

A very tough nut to crack.

If you've got a mix of 75mm and 6 pounder Churchills and are facing Tiger Is make heavy use of the 75mm smoke rounds in an effort to maneuver the 6 pounder tank in for a clean shot. I'm a big fan of 'American smoke', as they called it. The problem with 6 pounder sabot, though, is its solid core with less behind armor effect than you would want. In a similar vein 4 pounder Littlejohn on the Daimler AC has penetration ability equal to 75mm AP but the squeeze-bore round doesn't do much at all after penetrating.

Iirc there was a scenario in CMAK depicting the first appearance of the tiger on a battlefield. A battery of British 6 pdr in a small whadi (depression) with some rocks and a few palm trees in entrenched positions on one side and the monster on the other.

It was impossible to stop: the tiger just moved as it pleased, shot its rounds and destroyed all guns, while its MGs were harvesting anyone in sight.

Against the red army it was a completely different tale, because in the end they had better weapons than the nazis.

As for the FI battle I did not even waited for the at gun to arrive as the lucky shot penetrated the turret and only three of the crews jumped out to be taken prisoners a few minutes later: the gunner and tank commander were still at their posts both headless, as one of the soldier excitedly reported in the after action... :-)