Ugly looking King Tigers...

Most of combat mission's vehicle models are very well done... The Tiger Is, Shermans, PzIVs etc all look exquisite. However the King Tigers, both Porsche and Henschel versions lack the accuracy compared to others, i.e. its external shape is off. I know there're many more important things to improve but visual authenticity does increase immersion... The real life King tiger is a beautiful looking vehicle and it won't hurt to get it right.

What exactly is wrong with it? My guess is that whoever modelled it used orthographic views to do so and the silhouette is thus probably an exact replica (assuming the orthographic views used were correct). The turret shape is quite complex, however, and it is possible that in-game camera distortion is making it not look the same as you see in photographs, especially close up.

food for thought

Capture_242_zps4ab1bbca.jpg

Capture_245_zps4cdacb1a.jpg

If your concept of "ugly" is the top of the track mudguards not being high enough... whoa :D But I do see your point that there's something a bit off about the proportions. I'll get it looked into.

Steve

Hiya Steve! Thanks for your attention. The mudguards was the only thing that I could conclude after many hours of drawing. Sure sucks for not being a 3D artist for this one. As seen in 2 pics in this post it's also possible that the upper hull is too thick. But unable to verify atm...

It's very, very hard to do a comparison between an ingame image and a real life image. At least not for fine details. I'd recommend not spending any more time trying to do that. A basic rule of thumb is if you can't quickly figure out if there's a problem then either there isn't or you're not likely going to find it.

I've already put the question about the hull height to both the 3D and 2D artists. To me that's what might be off, not the fenders themselves (though the brackets maybe could use a little more height, just not nearly as much as you suggested).

Steve

...after many hours of drawing...

Ouch, I can't imagine how long it took you just to get the in-game image to match the photograph so closely. The problem is that unless you can ensure that the in-game virtual camera lens has the same properties as the real lens used to take the photo and both shots were taken from the same distance, the comparison is kind of moot. The mudguards/hull part does look a bit off though. There are orthographic views available on the web (out of a model?) but who knows how accurate they are - what we need is for someone to go to the museum with a tape measure and calipers :)

I believe for King Tiger the time worked on it may have exceeded the time budgeted for it by a factor of eight. If this was a dedicated "King Tiger simulation" we could've gone completely hog-wild on the details but somewhere in the work schedule eight 600+ foot long bridges had to be skinned as well. And a half dozen new Dutch buildings, and the M18 Hellcat, Mobelwagen, Wirbelwind, Crusader AA, the new asphalt highway tiles, 2 complete sets of Dutch modular building roofs, five different Sdkfz 250 Neus, and a partridge in a pair tree. ;)

Maybe we like Cromwells, why's it have to be Shermans?

Same crap different names? ;)

On a more serious note.. I dont think the KT model is ugly, rather the oposit. Im very happy that BFC made the changes they did to the Porsche variant in CW and the Henschel model is just as good. That said, the OP have some interesting points when comparing the models. Maybe nothing major but small things like this is what many of us really care about. Any way.. feels good that BFC takes an interest to questions raised and look into it.

I dont think the KT model is ugly, rather the oposit. Im very happy that BFC made the changes they did to the Porsche variant in CW and the Henschel model is just as good.

But still it is a lot rougher than most models in-game. Just had a Pz IV next to it in a scenario. The KT does look out of place. Lower quality wheels, tracks as well as many of the smaller details.

By the way, the ammo loadout of the new tiger 2 is incorrect.

The porsche turret had 72 rounds and the production turret 84 rounds. :P

Noted! However, I've seen many different counts for both tanks. (P) varies between 72 and 80, (H) varies between 84 and 86. I think part of the problem is the standard procedure involved stacking lose rounds on the turret floor.

Steve

Not to knock wiki but occasionally I've found them making an error, then when you Google the topic to find correct info you discover the same Wiki mistake cascading across the internet. I recall it took original Russian source material (in Cyrillic) to finally locate the correct muzzle velocity of the RPG-16 back when BFC was working on CM:Afghanistan.

Sidenote - the photo of the tiger is from the Musee des Blindes in Saumur. A great tank museum if you are ever in the Loire, France.

While it doesn't have every single tank ever made it does a good job of coming close. Abrahms was the most notable exception for me.

Unfortunately no climbing except for a halftracky thing at the end.

food for thought

Capture_242_zps4ab1bbca.jpg

Capture_245_zps4cdacb1a.jpg

Hiya Steve! Thanks for your attention. The mudguards was the only thing that I could conclude after many hours of drawing. Sure sucks for not being a 3D artist for this one. As seen in 2 pics in this post it's also possible that the upper hull is too thick. But unable to verify atm...

The parallel lines are the lack of distortion from the camera lens.

Let's say you are in front of a building, on ground level, and you want to photograph it. Unless you have a shift lens you will point the camera slightly upwards. That will distort the lines that originally all go straight upwards and hence were parallel. Now they are not.

090904-TS-E-Compare-to-Wide-thumb-400x313.jpg

The King Tiger in Munster is very high, so people point their lens upwards, so all the pictures you see have the distorted lines. But the game view does not.

IIRC I did take a couple picture of Munster KT with the TS-E, maybe I can find them later.

yep turret is just some messing around by me. the hull is another matter however.

as said above whole thing is blockier compared to real life pics. was trying to find the reason. atm i still think the gun is mounted too high enlarging the turret...

you're absolutely right that pics are misleading... it needs to be checked in 3dsmax or whatever modelling software is used and compared with dimensions of the real one