Damn fine game

I have been playing MG all weekend and although there are a few problems , which I am sure will be patched up soon, I have to say that this is a really great effort by the Battlefront team.....I haven't had this much fun (and challenging scenarios) in quite some time. So thanks to all who put their time and effort into an already great game! Well done!

Had a few teething problems but this game is brilliant, if they fix the roads please please, im currently battling for the crossraods at the Schoonoord where i was this September and well the last 24 years or so, and loving it, looking at a house i actually stay in now computerised :)

So yes one or two bugs but they will get ironed out but thanks BF :)

Playing "Boy's versus men" scenario, it's beautiful.

When following soldiers on level 1 you get a real understanding for the chaotic situations during the battle around Arnhem, that have been described by many veterans.

The ease with which soldiers can loose their bearings, followed by the totally unexpected deadly face to face confrontations with, also lost, enemy soldiers.

The strange effect that in one house there can be murderous fighting going on, while in the next house men can be drinking their tea in relative relaxation because there is no enemy in sight.

The crazy confusion on where the frontline really is, where friendlies are, and how to choose which buildings, copses or gardens are of tactical importance.

The not knowing what the hell is going on at the strategic level; one platoon can achieve a stunning win and feel victorious, while the rest of the company is being wiped out at the same time.

Experiencing all of this without having to put one's life on the line, Combat Mission delivers it all.

Man, I can complain about things (schwimmwagen :D) , but I still think this is one of the best games ever.

Playing "Boy's versus men" scenario, it's beautiful.

When following soldiers on level 1 you get a real understanding for the chaotic situations during the battle around Arnhem, that have been described by many veterans.

Imagine CM would have an Iron Man Mode. That would really teach what chaos means.

A Battle I had fun with was 'Facade Troop'....crossing one of the bridges and hearing the German bullets pinging off the girders was very cool! Like I said, there are a few bugs but overall and excellent effort and it looks like lot's of hours of enjoyment....very much worth every penny it costs....at least to me anyway

A Battle I had fun with was 'Facade Troop'....crossing one of the bridges and hearing the German bullets pinging off the girders was very cool! Like I said, there are a few bugs but overall and excellent effort and it looks like lot's of hours of enjoyment....very much worth every penny it costs....at least to me anyway

I have completed this one with allies side as total victory

Polish paratroopers and vicker carrier jeeps saved the day

thanks to scenario maker

very good one..

There's a wide spectrum of different effects...Occasionally an entire squad will flee from the building when a Shreck goes off...Sometimes there's no noticeable effect especially from Fausts or Zooks, often there's suppression and it's not at all uncommon to see injuries from the backblast, especially in confined spaces.

The third Road to Nijmegen scenario about XXX Corps breakout is fantastic. Amazing how one scenario shows the limitations of the Market-Garden plan. Armor gets punctured on the highway and the infantry has to push forward. It's also thought provoking that my little pixel troopers just refuse to move forward and you realize what it must have taken to get up and advance in real life.

PS....that my troops wouldn't advance probably had something to do with the obviously sight impaired R.A.F. bloke who repeatedly strafe the men as they tried to move forward and than just for good measure dropped one hell of a bomb right in the middle of a mass of them as the struggled forward.

It may be my memory, but during the setup phase (when you can get arty immediately) I never noticed b4 that the arty window also told the player how long TOT will be after the game starts. That's really useful as it helps one decide whether to commit to a set-up barrage or simply call arty in the middle of the game. I have always wanted that info so am flabbergasted that I never noticed that info in all the years I bin playing CM2. I assumed it was a new feature.

It may be my memory, but during the setup phase (when you can get arty immediately) I never noticed b4 that the arty window also told the player how long TOT will be after the game starts. That's really useful as it helps one decide whether to commit to a set-up barrage or simply call arty in the middle of the game. I have always wanted that info so am flabbergasted that I never noticed that info in all the years I bin playing CM2. I assumed it was a new feature.

Yeah, I think that changed. Having everything just say "1 min" during setup was not very useful for planning how you want to use your assets.

The PBEM part with previous games is very irritating. Some Normandy PBEM work for 1 turn other so far have worked for 2 turns and I find myself having to constantly re-activate MG every time I load a PBEM pre MG.

I just hope that constantly re activating MG doesn't come back to bite me in the future.

I have a few Italy/GL PBEMs going that were pre MG and I have no idea how they'll behave.

That being said-I'm playing Boys against Men scenario and it seems to capture the intensity and violence of urban combat. Its certainly fun.

BF is going to have to address the PBEM issue-especially if they plan to continually release modules.

All the tweaks they made are great, and they fixed the graphics issues I was having as well. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm also angry that I've had so little time to play it.

I've only tried a couple of scenarios so far. The "Back to the Waal" scenario was pretty awesome though. It was intense getting pinned down all along that river bank by all that MG, sniper and AA fire. There was a really intense moment where my troops and a platoon of Germans were just a few meters away from each other, on opposite sides of a big road embankment, and both sides were pitching volleys of grenades across the road at each other. I took heavy losses and thought I might lose for a moment, but I managed to pull through.

I managed to save my bazooka teams until the end, and used them in the assault on their little fort. I ran both teams right out onto the middle of the road in front of the fort under covering fire in full view of the Germans, and they blasted the hell out of the fort with a few volleys of rockets at close range, blowing up 6 Germans in the process. Fun stuff.

After a few days of playing quick battles to test the changes, i would say that i'm impressed by the work that was done by developers.

The spotter of sniper teams is now holding fire and it makes them harder to spot i think. Also for those with smgs, they save ammo for short range fight. Something that i was waiting for since the first cmsf.

The most important is the way tank spot and react in urban combat.

Now, tanks attacking without infantry support are targets.

I have a test map, a modified qb map with more ruins and buildings, and i must say the changes are very important. Assaulting tank is much easier to do , they spot less, they can't shoot at very short range, or with a lot of problem and they are very slow to shoot at troops in high buildings.

Killing tc with sniper is easier, the team is not always destroyed immediately, and opened top vehicles (TD, half tracks etc... ) are very vulnerable to top attack, infantry is better at killing the crews and targeting with grenades.

Infantry can now stay very close to a tank without problem and most of the time the result will be a destruction and immobilisation, or the tank will try to withdraw in emergency away from infantry. AT mines are also now very effective just like in CMFI/GL. Even if i don't use it too much, firing rockets from buildings is now possible, but will result in suppression, injuries for the team/squad. So, split teams should be a rule. Demo charges work very well at close range since most of the time, the tank will be destroyed before it can spot or aim at assaulting infantry.

Infantry in a city have now the advantage and this makes the game much more realistic. Also something i was waiting for since CMSF.

The maps are beautiful and it's too bad that there are some bugs with ammo sharing. Hmg's ammo carriers have now an utility since they carry a lot of ammo.

For me, the result of all these changes is a much more realistic game. The changes are as important as the hmg/small weapon changes made in the previous version.

With more fog of war, the game is also more difficult, and tactical mistakes leads to high casualties. Urban fighting is really harder and i would advice those who are new to the game to watch the videos made by Lt. Col. Jeffrey Paulding for the armchair general magazine, or to go to the battledrill blog (impressive work, very usefull) to get tactical lessons that are a must to win battles now.

Thanks to all Battlefront team for the effort made in improving the game.

Can't wait to see those changes in CMFI/GL. Keep this good work.

Regards