New features/feature ideas for CM for the next few years thread

No, buddy aid does not get a soldier back into the fighting. Aside from retrieving amo it does help increase the chances that the downed soldier will end the battle as wounded in action and not killed in action.

Ok. ;)

One of my wishes for the future would be a kind of "first aid", something that makes a wounded soldier to fight with less penalty after receiving it. Not a miracle, just something realistic.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my wishes for the future would be a kind of "first aid", something that makes a wounded soldier to fight with less penalty after receiving it. Not a miracle, just something realistic.

There is something sort of like that with the yellow casualties. These are lightly wounded men who continue in the fight, but at perhaps reduced efficiency.

Michael

There is something sort of like that with the yellow casualties. These are lightly wounded men who continue in the fight, but at perhaps reduced efficiency.

Michael

And they're pretty much assumed to be the only ones who might have "less" penalties applied if they got some basic first aid; anyone who's a red cross base isn't going to be seeing the front line again for a long while unless their field hospital gets overrun.

No, buddy aid does not get a soldier back into the fighting. Aside from retrieving amo it does help increase the chances that the downed soldier will end the battle as wounded in action and not killed in action.

Some people, including me, think they have seen a red wia soldier come back to the fight as yellow... at least I think some other people said they think they saw it. Its very rare if it happens, I wish I knew for sure if it really does.

And great ideas everyone! Seems we did a pretty thorough job. Any other ideas out there?

Some people, including me, think they have seen a red wia soldier come back to the fight as yellow... at least I think some other people said they think they saw it. Its very rare if it happens, I wish I knew for sure if it really does.

I am pretty sure that does not happen. What they may be seeing is that another soldier receives a yellow wound either at the same time or soon after a red wounded soldier disappears off the map after receiving buddy aid.

Michael

But the best idea IMO is an important improvement in AI. Guess many people will support it.

Well sure. Who wouldn't?

Sooner or later CM will have to adapt to new times...

What exactly is that supposed to mean? I don't think you mean to be offensive, but that could be taken as an insinuation that BFC has somehow fallen down on the job through not trying. Fact is, AI is incredibly hard to code when it comes to trying to replicate all the things a human might do under all circumstances. While we might all, including BFC, wish that the CM AI was even better, so far its development has come a creditable long way. Especially for a small firm without scores of programmers and millions of dollars to throw at the problem.

Michael

Sorry, but you're seeing things. :)

What exactly is that supposed to mean? I don't think you mean to be offensive, but that could be taken as an insinuation that BFC has somehow fallen down on the job through not trying. Fact is, AI is incredibly hard to code when it comes to trying to replicate all the things a human might do under all circumstances. While we might all, including BFC, wish that the CM AI was even better, so far its development has come a creditable long way. Especially for a small firm without scores of programmers and millions of dollars to throw at the problem.

Michael

Don´t pretend to be offensive, all I wanted to say is AI should be a priority in a game with spectacular graphics. Think this is the natural next step that open endless possibilities to CM. I know it must be difficult and expensive to do but I can tell you a few games out there are seriously improving their AI, mainly due to new computer proccesors and people preferences.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but the possibility to position troops a little better. For instance, at (some?) rectangular corners in bocage or in a hedge you cannot position troops. You have to choose an actionspot to the left or the right of that corner.

That sometimes sucks because when troops were positioned in the corner, they can cover two sides (front and side), while when away from the corner they cover just their front.

Solution would be smaller action spots? Would make positioning and waypoints and cover more accurate.

I am pretty sure that does not happen. What they may be seeing is that another soldier receives a yellow wound either at the same time or soon after a red wounded soldier disappears off the map after receiving buddy aid.

Michael

I bet you guys are right, I did "remember" "seeing" it a long time ago in CMSF before even CMBN I think. Some other people (or at least one other person) having said they thought they saw it once on a blue moon too, made the "memory" stick and seem legit.

Assuming you guys are right, which for now I do, I submit this feature to the list, very once in a while, very rarely you should be able to shoot your red wounded guys up with so much morphine that they stand back up and keep fighting.

On another note you should take a look to this interesting article about an AI mod for the game HOMM 5: http://www.bonddisc.com/ref/h5/ai.htm

Interesting article about AI development. CM does not have an AI strategic layer. That article is about AI about strategy. The AI plans for a CM scenario are human made. The strategic decisions are programmed by humans. I am sure there are places that can be improved and some improvements have been suggested in this thread. Bottom line any AI improvements we would benefit from are related to a pixel soldier's minute to minute behaviour. We don't need those guys to be planning 8 days out:) We need them to make better decisions in the moment or have more commands to respond to.

Interesting article about AI development.

Absolutely! CM is one of my favourite games, I would love to see one day a challenging AI (non-scripted) in a simultaneous-turn game with amazing graphics. :rolleyes: It must be a fantastic experience. The engine is the key of a classic game (in the same way that the brain for a person). Just my opinion. "Frozen Synapse" is a good example of WEGO (simultaneous turns) system with a powerful AI, however with poor graphics.

very once in a while, very rarely you should be able to shoot your red wounded guys up with so much morphine that they stand back up and keep fighting.

No thanks, I can make do just fine without such an utterly unrealistic feature. If you're in so much pain that you need morphine, you aren't going to be doing any sort of fighting any time soon (if ever again). Red-base soldiers are those guys who are so badly wounded they are going to need extensive medical care before they can get back in the fight, and I'm fine with that.

(Believe me, I know - I was a combat medic in the Army for 6 years).

I am happy to believe that even the "yellow silhouette" level of casualties are penalised on an average basis that assumes a decent chance of some basic first aid once the immediate danger (and adrenaline rush) has receded a little. To me, yellow base means superficial lacerations and contusions, bumps, bruises and minor sprains. The kind of thing that can happen on a sports field but the recipient can "walk off" after a little absorbent gauze and "magic sponge" is applied.

AI/QB tweak (from another thread). AI hotspots in QBs.

The idea of having setup hotspots for the AI is a good one, and it works well for scenarios, where the designer categorises their force in the unit-picker and can define particular spots on the map as suitable for different elements of their force.

It would be cool if a map could be set up such that setup hotspots could be defined, for use a QB, as appropriate for certain types of unit. E.g., you could define a location on the map as suitable for AT guns, MG nests, armour, entrenched infantry - that sort of thing. That would really help the AI to do a better setup.

Hi...

Having finally started doing some work with the editor here are some improvements i like to se (these might have been mentioned before).

- already mentioned by ian.leslie. The veichles have some trouble using the roads when moving. Maybe there could be an option in the AI-orders "follow road" that would tell the AI to only move forward on the closest 'road tile'.

- An other option i would like to se in the AI-orders regarding veichles would be a REVERSE order. Allowing the scenariodesigner to create some AI 'shoot and scoot' moves...Cresting a hill and reversing back after 30 seconds for example.

- A "move through" option in the AI-orders. Meaning the the AI unit will not stop at the order-location and wait for a set time before continuing to the next one but rather move along to the next one as soon as they arrive there.

- Ability to set the exact time for AI support-targets (artillery).

No thanks, I can make do just fine without such an utterly unrealistic feature. If you're in so much pain that you need morphine, you aren't going to be doing any sort of fighting any time soon (if ever again). Red-base soldiers are those guys who are so badly wounded they are going to need extensive medical care before they can get back in the fight, and I'm fine with that.

(Believe me, I know - I was a combat medic in the Army for 6 years).

The morphine part was just a stupid sort of joke, what I really meant was that it makes sense there would be a gradient of lvl of injury from green through red and brown, and it wouldn't be unrealistic for a very small fraction of the barely red guys to become yellow and barely not red, after some very important first aid. Such as, pull the small piece of shrapnel out of the leg, patch it, shoot some morphine, pat him on the back, remind him they are all gonna die if he don't get up and help his friends. wouldn't 1/200 or more soldiers be able to get back up after treatment? In ww2 crazy life or death ****.

Edit to add

Red-base soldiers are those guys who are so badly wounded they are going to need extensive medical care before they can get back in the fight, and I'm fine with that.

This doesn't have to be the case. of course it does include those guys, but it can and does also incudes guys that arn't hurt that bad and might be back in the next mission. Some are just a little more hurt than yellow guys. You don't have to save the morphine for only the guys that are almost dying, you could give it to someone with just a flesh wound. Maybe the guy just needs a brace and he'll be ready to go (slowly)? or a brace and some morphine ;)

Or maybe he just got knocked out/concussed hard and he just needs some smelling salts to wake up?

a gradient of lvl of injury from green through red and brown, and it wouldn't be unrealistic for a very small fraction of the barely red guys to become yellow and barely not red, after some very important first aid.

Oooo I like it. Given that there are levels of injury and we are talking about retrieving some soldiers from red to yellow we can do even better. Some of the barely brown guys can be revived too. Each side can have a Miracle Max on their side and we would have a sound associated with the action of bringing someone who is mostly dead back to life. Just like in the Princess Bride:

It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Bonus points for anyone who knows what Miracle Max says is the only thing you can do with someone who is all dead.

Reductio ad absurdum is so much more fun when it can be funny too. Thanks Billy Crystal (and to @cool breeze for the setup) :D

Yeah, lol, you're welcome. It did occur to me right after my second edit that brown isn't really part of the gradient, kinda right after the gradient ends... but I was already to deep into post edits lol I just let it stand. Good thing too I loved the princess bride joke brought lots of visuals.