Wich CMx2 iteration are you waiting for most?

What I'd love to see, and I'm probably in the minority, is a Blitzkrieg 1940 type add-on.

I don't know if you are in the minority, but you are certainly not alone. I am among quite a few voices that have been raised over the years in favor of an early war game or family of games. I think before that can happen though, BFC will have to figure out a way to depict motorcycles and their riders that won't be a resource hog. MC troops were a big part of army OBs during the first two years of the war and leaving them out would cause serious pain among those who are really into this period.

Michael

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spanish Civil War would be very different in terms of both equipment and organizations. It would have to be its own game. Even moving from Poland 1939 to France 1940 would be a significant leap, although I suppose they could fit in one family. Let us not forget Norway and Denmark while we are talking about early war games. I'd also be interested to see a treatment of Yugoslavia and Greece, although I think those should come after all the EF games are done, since BFC seemingly intends to do those in reverse chronology. This goes for the USSR vs. Finland Winter War too (mustn't forget those pinecone wielding Finns).

Michael

The Spanish Civil War would be very different in terms of both equipment and organizations. It would have to be its own game. Even moving from Poland 1939 to France 1940 would be a significant leap, although I suppose they could fit in one family. Let us not forget Norway and Denmark while we are talking about early war games. I'd also be interested to see a treatment of Yugoslavia and Greece, although I think those should come after all the EF games are done, since BFC seemingly intends to do those in reverse chronology. This goes for the USSR vs. Finland Winter War too (mustn't forget those pinecone wielding Finns).

Michael

I have to agree with the others that early war isn't probably the most likely choice to sell units. However, I wouldn't write it off based just off that with BFC. They're really busy these days, all it takes is for Steve to fall in love with some early war battle and we may get it ;)

Emrys I think the best way to do early war is what you described. Spanish Civil War would be cool, but I don't know if they'd do it. Early war though I could see as a very real possibility. A base game with Poland, Denmark, Norway, then Belgium/France. A real plus would be they never did it before too. On a CM level you'd have some great battles IMO.

Still, I can't discuss any of this without my obligatory reminder that I'd halt all progress on everything to get the EF game sooner =)

1. CMSF2 (although I don't agree with that name, since it's not gonna be a new game about Syria)

The rest is all about beating a dead horse: WWII.

Besides, reading the forum one might get the impression that CMx1 was so much better at doing WWII than CMx2, BF might as well just leave it at that perfect level and spend their energy on something new.

Oh and excuse me if I just made anyone's blood pressure rise ;-)

Eastern Front.

Then, ( unrealistically, I know ) Early War :D

Earlier Eastern Front would have to be the salve for lack of 1940 Western battles.

Sadly, and I appreciate their reasoning, it's going to be a while before we get to 1941 in any theatre. But I really think the early war period has a lot going for it - including being fairly well balanced - especially with all us armchair generals unlikely to make the mistakes that were historically so catastrophic/costly.

Then, ( unrealistically, I know ) Early War :D

+1, i think i would like that too. I very much enjoyed the early war campaigns/scenarios in Theatre of War.

Talking about unrealistic expectations, a Cold War becomes Hot game would also be interesting, or wouldnt it?

Korea would not require a complete reworking as it had many of the same weapon systems as well as similar terrain to Italy with snow. Buildings would be different though.

As for early war, I would love to see the 1940s stuff. I enjoy the battles where tanks are not invulnerable to infantry. A JS-III at 150 meters is almost boring for an infantry force. A tank in 1940 though has thrills galore. Its like super-sized infantry battles rather than tank battles with infantry thrown in.

BT-7 vs Pz 38t. Interesting (and do not get me started on Finns vs Russian Hordes - just read "Frozen Hell").

As for early war, I would love to see the 1940s stuff. I enjoy the battles where tanks are not invulnerable to infantry. A JS-III at 150 meters is almost boring for an infantry force. A tank in 1940 though has thrills galore. Its like super-sized infantry battles rather than tank battles with infantry thrown in.

Really? I am not as familiar with early war combat, but it was my impression that it was the other way around: tanks were more vulnerable to infantry in the late war after the introduction of man-portable anti-tank rocket launchers.

Really? I am not as familiar with early war combat, but it was my impression that it was the other way around: tanks were more vulnerable to infantry in the late war after the introduction of man-portable anti-tank rocket launchers.

Vanir has it right. There was a distinct paucity of AT weaponry in the first couple of years of the war. There were some very light AT guns, but not many of them as compared to later in the war. There were AT rifles, but already they were marginal against the armor of many of the then-operational tanks. As a result, infantry was more apt to panic and either flee or surrender.

Michael

The biggest difference between early and late war in CM terms is probably that there are none or very few "if you can see it you can kill it" weapons. AT and tank guns were relatively puny, as already mentioned, which means your Panzer 35(t) will have to maneuver to get a shot at the Renault FT 400 m away.

With a little luck we might still get that in a future Barbarossa module (or with the Axis minors who used their old junk until midwar, if one dares to dream). Kursk is a bit of a sleeper here as well, with large numbers of Panzer IIIs and T-60s.