Machine Gun Involuntary Movement

I have found on 2 occasions that a machine gun crew moves to the prior deployed spot when I try to deploy it in a new location. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

As noted, it's not you, it's the game. This is a known issue. A patch is being worked on. This issue should be addressed.

Meantime, a workaround is to set a penultimate waypoint at the action spot adjacent to where you want them to deploy. Then drop the final waypoint at the next action spot, and order the deploy. When the guy wanders, he'll only go back one spot. Then he'll eventually join his buddies.

Setting the penultimate (last but one) waypoint adjacent merely minimizes the time and distances involved in the problem.

There is a work around to prevent this from happening. Just issue the deploy weapon command at the end of the movement by clicking on the last waypoint. If you issue the deploy weapon command separate from the move order it causes the strange behavior. Dooh .. sorry this has already been covered :o ... missed c3k's post

Yeah, I hope BF fixes soon! I will not PBEM till it is fixed. In singe player when this stuff happens it is not as big a deal since I will reload, and try to deploy differently, but during a PBEM dumb moves by the AI really annoy me. I gave a deploy order to a mortar team just last turn, and it ran around to the other side of the hedgerow on it's own and got killed. This is the worst bug I ever recall in that it is breaking PBEM play for the moment.

I have played about 200 hours now since upgrading to v2.0 with this bug happening to my mg's. It has just started to happen to my mortars now,which i find strange !

Yes, this too is known, and has been for a bit of time. It's no fun when it happens. There is a patch being worked on.

Construe that how you wish. ;)

Ken

Are you issuing the face command at your last waypoint? For example, if I want my machingegun to set up near the opening in hedge, I issue movement order to that hedge opening. Then I select that last waypoint, issue the facing command and the click the deploy button. Next turn they will move to that waypoint, spin a bit and face the selected facing direction and begin to deploy the weapon. I never have problem with either the machinegun crew or mortars using this method.

Are you issuing the face command at your last waypoint? For example, if I want my machingegun to set up near the opening in hedge, I issue movement order to that hedge opening. Then I select that last waypoint, issue the facing command and the click the deploy button. Next turn they will move to that waypoint, spin a bit and face the selected facing direction and begin to deploy the weapon. I never have problem with either the machinegun crew or mortars using this method.

I've had the same issues as Vinnart. More often than not, the mg will position itself correctly along the hedgerow if the deploy procedure you recommend is followed. But, I've had one team absolutely refuse to deploy the mg adjacent to the hedge... I moved it to consecutive AS's along the hedgerow, each time following the waypoint/face/deploy procedure and the mg itself always backed away from the hedge far enough so that it did not have LOS any farther than the other side of the hedge. Enough team members were close enough that I could get a gray LOS to a distant target, but never a blue line beyond that first action square.

Now, if it's of any consequence, this was in a campaign started under 1.10 (iirc, maybe earlier), so that may have had something to do with it. I've not noticed the issue in games started under 2.0 when I've followed the procedure.

Fortunately, it sounds as if the patch release is imminent :)

I've had the same issues as Vinnart. More often than not, the mg will position itself correctly along the hedgerow if the deploy procedure you recommend is followed. But, I've had one team absolutely refuse to deploy the mg adjacent to the hedge... I moved it to consecutive AS's along the hedgerow, each time following the waypoint/face/deploy procedure and the mg itself always backed away from the hedge far enough so that it did not have LOS any farther than the other side of the hedge. Enough team members were close enough that I could get a gray LOS to a distant target, but never a blue line beyond that first action square.

By any chance, was this a "HQ" element with an "extra" (leader) team member? IME, MG teams are more likely to wrongly position the MG if there are "too many" bodies in the way. You might find that a face in a different direction will get the MG up to the berm: if it's setting up "back right" try Facing "oblique left" a bit to see if that helps. Because I'm not sure the patch is going to address the problem you're describing, only the "team members running away" one, which is a bug, rather than an unintended consequence of something WAD as I think your problem is.

In the pic I posted the mortar team was stationary with no movement order issued. I gave a face order, then deploy. The team is in a good position with enemy sighted across the field so there is no desire to move them especially since they were to be putting fire on target while some riflemen were to hit the side. Now the riflemen are in engaged without the mortar support. To get it to work as Paul said I would have to move one AS then try to set up again which doesn’t make it easy to coordinate timing, and quite frankly is too late for the current situation.

The bottom line is I hope they fix it soon, and there should be no need to add extra moves to work right. I know BF is working on it, and that it is a known bug, but that does not make it any less frustrating to deal with at the moment even during single play. Now I can either reload to try again to deploy at the spot I want adding the extra move, or play on with my fire support running right into enemy fire as did earlier in the game I am playing. At least this didn’t happen in a PBEM. My only conclusion is updating old versions is a bit more complicated than BF expected since I do not know of this issue in CMFI 2.0.