ammo count resetting back up as it dwindles

I played a quick battle with US airborne defending. I had a team in a building with no nearby friendly units or dead bodies to medic ammo off of. They opened fire and I watched the ammo count go down and then bounce back up to 25, then again go down and bounce back up to like 25 or so. Over and over. rate of fire seemed to sustain fairly evenly.

I have the saved game file.

I recall in CMX1 you would get LOW for ammo and fire would drop off considerably.

What am I observing here in CMX2?

Thanks.

Oh, just to share some cool stuff, this team had demo charges and I then sent them out of the building to a wall, as they approached the wall, they chucked 1 charge at a half-track and took it out. later I sent them down a steep hill and tucked them behind another wall. I tried to get them to take out another enemy vehicle. They wouldn't do it and started taking fire and lost 1 of 4 guys. So, then as I had them bug out to better cover, the last guy chucks the demo charge as he is high-tailing it out and blasted the half-track to smithereens. Love this game.

Another great phenomenon to watch is when you order an AT team to FAST MOVE from a building (from which they can never fire) to another location, and the zook/shrek/faust man stops (purely on his own/AI initiative), aims at the tank and kills it before continuing (FAST!) to his destination. Because ATR's can't fire from inside buildings I have started using this technique as a deliberate tactic... and it seems to work.

Hope someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on your ammo issue. I don't recall ever seeing that in my games.

OK, I went and watched it a few more times.

This is what happened.

4 man team in C2 with all M1's.

About 3 AS away in a separate building was a 2 man 30 cal MMG team from same platoon also in C2 and MMG never fired but MMG's team ammo for M2 .30cal dropped as the 4 man team fired away and reloading showed as their activity.

So this was buddy sharing. Awesome. I love getting to see these small things happen. Too often I get going so fast playing that I miss the trees for the forest....

I am not sure C2 was a factor but I guess it never hurts.

I really got to see ammo sharing in action vividly the other night. -Was doing a test to see how much damage split teams with MG42s could do. Typical soldiers on both sides, with one German platoon (plus a recon squad, an LMG team, a sniper and a mortar) vs. a full company of Amis. The terrain very much favored the defender and the Germans only lost two men to a lucky mortar hit on turn one. No casualties after that to small arms fire. The Amis were mauled very badly as one would expect with the AI controlling them on the attack like this.

Anyhoo, the sniper team turned out to be the MVPs. They racked up 39 casualties by the end. I had to keep feeding them ammo and used several other team's worth of 9mm to keep them supplied. It was very cool watching the ammo exchanges happening.

On a side note, the sniper very often switched to his pistol for shots that looked to be about 50-70 meters. He seemed to get a lot of kills that way. I wish we could see detailed stats. I'd love to know how many guys were dropped by the rifle vs. pistol vs. SMG in the team.

I still have the saved games. I'm tempted to post them for download if anybody wants to take a look.

(Again, this was just a test, with the AI on the attack and bocage very much favoring the defender.)

Yeah, but he's got to thread it out of a window in his building and into the window of the other building. Still a good effort :)

I think your guy just showed up in Pandur's scenario. Some American fired a rifle grenade 175+ meters and took out two of my guys on different floors of a building.

Macisle,

Since the German sniper rifles all used 7.92mm, the same as the MG-42s and the Kar98Ks, please explain why you had to transfer all that 9mm ammo to your sniper? Makes no sense to me.

Regards,

John Kettler

Because the Sniper's spotter with the MP40 is the one who got all the kills?

No, Macisle's post said the sniper switched to the pistol often.

Which is even more madness, since he stated the kills were happening 50-70 meters away.

I dont want to start down this issue again. But it does bother Me BF does not appear to want to tweek these issues and that it takes a act of God to get a change anymore. The use of Pistols just happens to be one on the top of my list as just being crap and that no changes has happened.

Another great phenomenon to watch is when you order an AT team to FAST MOVE from a building (from which they can never fire) to another location, and the zook/shrek/faust man stops (purely on his own/AI initiative), aims at the tank and kills it before continuing (FAST!) to his destination. Because ATR's can't fire from inside buildings I have started using this technique as a deliberate tactic... and it seems to work.

After you first mentioned that I have tried it several times and it is a thing of beauty to watch. Thanks. Of course my guys seem to miss more often than they hit but watching them do it is really awesome.