Lack of mods

The CMFI uniforms and helmets look great as is. Very impressive.

To be honest, I have not yet figured out this fetish about the helmets and unit insignia... It seems that most mods in CW are some kind of helmets or insignia of the different units.

Would be cool to see how these people play the game! 20x zoom to the nearest individual and they go, ooh aah, that helmet is so good that it's unreal! but the way the game models the spread pattern of the 50mm pak 150mm Heat is not tolerable! fix this or do somefink.

To be honest, I have not yet figured out this fetish about the helmets and unit insignia... It seems that most mods in CW are some kind of helmets or insignia of the different units.

Would be cool to see how these people play the game! 20x zoom to the nearest individual and they go, ooh aah, that helmet is so good that it's unreal! but the way the game models the spread pattern of the 50mm pak 150mm Heat is not tolerable! fix this or do somefink.

That's simple. You mod what can be modded, not what can't be. The spread of the 50mm PAK has to be coded, not modded. Those of us who play down in the weeds like the Ptruppen to look they way we want them too. It's neat, cool, and hip, Daddio. Don't bust our far out groove, Man. Stop with the negative waves, Moriarty.:D

It's a WWII game...the units and their various histories are a big attraction. Having the historical identifiers adds a level of immersion that a plain uni doesn't. I was criticized a few years ago about getting close enough to units to see various details. LOL it's in 3D THAT'S part of the point, if not we'd all be playing Steel Panthers...and probably saying; "Wouldn't it be cool if we could zoom in and watch the action up close!"

Would be cool to see how these people play the game!

We play the game the same way most people play the game...to win. Ask any of my PBEM opponents. I do what I can to defeat them. How many mods I use or what mods I use has no bearing on how I approach tactics and the battle. But once my plans are made, moves are plotted and I hit go...I get down in the mud and watch. All those mods add to the enjoyment and frustration and cussing when things go right or go south. It's much more engaging and adds loads to the story telling elements of the turn/game/battle to watch say, men of the Regina Rifle Regiment, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, rushing a machine gun position, decked out in all their patches and helmet flash, than it does to watch the same situation with units sporting a generic uniform. It gives the action a finer sense of immediacy and historical flavor and I get a feeling of actually watching a vignette played out in some forgotten corner of WWII as opposed to watching a game turn.

Suggesting that because somebody likes mods and enjoys the graphical side of the game, that they don't care about the accuracy of the simulation is snobbish ( I am not saying you are but I have seen this attitude many times throughout the years) and elitist sounding. The only right way to play Combat Mission, in any of it's forms, is the way that brings one the most joy. Everything else is mental masturbation.

And again, I am not attacking you, I have seen your posts and you are a friendly guy and I know you were basically posing a benign question. Your post just got me thinking about the self appointed protectors of wargaming that would rather push an abstract piece of cardboard around in their basement for the next 20 years than embrace anything they considered sacrilegious to their delicate, yet superior tactical sensibilities. LOL They know who they are.

Mord.

Well, that last comment was written after a few portions of whiskey (Highland Park) and rhum (Zacapa Centenario 23yrs and Pyrat XO). I highly recommend to try any of them!

But the first line is still valid in my point of view but there's no sense in the second one. I got carried away by the image in my mind of that situation :)

And yes, of course people can play the game how they like, but I seldom go to so close that I'd see the unit insignia or the different camo schemes in the helmets. If I'd do that the games would take forever to play and I like a bit faster pace of the games. Of course some events have to be watched close up.

and yes, I do have some of those helmet mods, but it's not very convenient to keep changing the different unit mods to each game as most of the games I play are PBEM's so I'd be swapping them all the time.

And Mord, do you play the PBEM's in any ladder or just against people in the BFC forums? Would be nice to have a game against you someday!

"20x zoom to the nearest individual and they go, ooh aah, that helmet is so good that it's unreal! but the way the game models the spread pattern of the 50mm pak 150mm Heat is not tolerable! fix this or do somefink."

You mean there are individual reprobates who do NOT play this way?!!! I feel my world shaking... coming apart...

And yes, of course people can play the game how they like, but I seldom go to so close that I'd see the unit insignia or the different camo schemes in the helmets. If I'd do that the games would take forever to play and I like a bit faster pace of the games. Of course some events have to be watched close up.

Yeah, understandable. I am a much slower player most of the time. Depends on my mood. There are times though, when I'll just do a quick review of the turn and hurry on to my next orders, all depends on my mood or what's going on at that moment.

and yes, I do have some of those helmet mods, but it's not very convenient to keep changing the different unit mods to each game as most of the games I play are PBEM's so I'd be swapping them all the time.

That's understandable too. But most of my PBEMS are stretched across titles. For example I am just about wrapping one up for CMSF...and starting another for CMFI after I played a CMFI and CMBN game...a few weeks back.

When me and DC play a QB, he makes up a storyline and setting and we try to use the units that were in that area for that time period. Then we'll load up any mods that pertain to those units. we are gonna be doing a dual AAR this time around so it should be fun.

And Mord, do you play the PBEM's in any ladder or just against people in the BFC forums? Would be nice to have a game against you someday!

No, never played any ladder stuff...it's seems to be too competitive for my taste...even though I like to win, I am more about the journey than the score. A lot of the guys on those ladders seem to take things way too serious. I just play guys from here...people I've gotten to know. Give me about a week and we can set something up...I owe MJkerner another rematch and have two going already and am still trying to mod some stuff.

Mord.

When me and DC play a QB, he makes up a storyline and setting and we try to use the units that were in that area for that time period. Then we'll load up any mods that pertain to those units. we are gonna be doing a dual AAR this time around so it should be fun.

Mord.

woo hoo, get to it!!

Vencini, please check your forum Private Messages in the top right corner of the page.

Testing has started.

So glad to hear you're working on this. I know other modders may have more visually arresting mods, but yours adds a lot "in the background" and it is greatly appreciated.

Vencini, please check your forum Private Messages in the top right corner of the page.

Testing has started.

Nice to read about you again in the forum! Great, the weapon's range mod is near! But...It's a cruel joke or... No private message in the top right corner of the page (seriously) :D

It's a little bit late here in Spain (1:00), so tomorrow I'll open the mod's forum like a kid in Christmas...:D

Regards!