A little confused on Italy v Normandy and engines

Just purchased CM Italy and installed it. But it appears that CM:N and CM:CF have to be upgraded through the separate later path/patch to get them to CM v2.0 ?? Or can I just copy over the scenarios and campaigns from the N/CF games into the Italy directories to be able to play them with the v2.0 engine and just delete the original N/CF directory?? A little confused on how the upgrade thing works IF you purchase Italy. Unless Italy also patched the original CM:N/CF files which was not apparent during installation.

CMFI is an entirely separate game from CMBN. Nothing that works in either is intended to work with the other. There might be some serendipity (maps etc. Maybe.) where BN stuff works with FI. There's less likelihood of that lucky chance happening the other way round: CMBN has no idea how to render a stucco flat-roofed house, AFAIR, so any map with one of those is going to fail.

Yes, there will be an update to the BN engine to add in the features added to the engine for FI. Covered Arc, more AI groups, all that. It will be available for a pretty nominal fee, probably. A little later, Op Market Garden will be released as a module covering the Autumn, and that will have to have v2 to run. You'll be able to buy OpMG on its own if you've already bought v2, or buy a bundle of OpMG plus v2 for a bit less than the cost of the two bought separately.

Just purchased CM Italy and installed it. But it appears that CM:N and CM:CF have to be upgraded through the separate later path/patch to get them to CM v2.0 ?? Or can I just copy over the scenarios and campaigns from the N/CF games into the Italy directories to be able to play them with the v2.0 engine and just delete the original N/CF directory?? A little confused on how the upgrade thing works IF you purchase Italy. Unless Italy also patched the original CM:N/CF files which was not apparent during installation.

Would that it were so simple. :) I started trying to build a base map for CMBN using CMFI's capabilities, but realized I couldn't. Why? Data parameters. A scenario in CMFI has a start date that doesn't exist in CMBN so it won't accept it at all and vice versa. It isn't simply an issue of the engine, there is a lot more involved including building types, tile types, ToE issues etc. Even when CMBN is upgraded to version to this will preclude moving scenarios between the two.

If you buy Windows 8 do you expect Win 7, Win2k and Win XP to be upgraded, too?

OMG, what a rude reply! Is that supposed to be an answer or a smart ass remark?

Would that it were so simple. :) I started trying to build a base map for CMBN using CMFI's capabilities, but realized I couldn't. Why? Data parameters. A scenario in CMFI has a start date that doesn't exist in CMBN so it won't accept it at all and vice versa. It isn't simply an issue of the engine, there is a lot more involved including building types, tile types, ToE issues etc. Even when CMBN is upgraded to version to this will preclude moving scenarios between the two.

Great, thanks. All I needed to know. So I'll look for the CMBN engine upgrade and get that too when it comes out.

drtechno, I believe that was a smart ass remark to a degree, but also some exasperation since the questions have been asked/answered/explained quite a few times before. But anyway, the v2.0 upgrade for CMBN will be $10...Steve/BFC has stated so in several posts. If you wait for the Market Garden release...around December/January???...you can buy the v2.0 for only an extra $5.

OMG, what a rude reply! Is that supposed to be an answer or a smart ass remark?

Great, thanks. All I needed to know. So I'll look for the CMBN engine upgrade and get that too when it comes out.

Sorry if you find the answer rude. I had to decide if i find the question being idiotic or a trolling one, since a ten second forum-search would have answered it faster to you, than waiting for a reply.

Sorry if you find the answer rude. I had to decide if i find the question being idiotic or a trolling one, since a ten second forum-search would have answered it faster to you, than waiting for a reply.

Give the guy a break. This whole series is confusing. I posted the same question and thankfully ran into considerate users. We were all noobs at one point or another.

If your such an expert, why enter this useless thread and leave a reply like that? No offense but I think you're doing the trolling here.

Being nice and considerate is all about "considering" the benefit of the doubt before judging.

People have varying degrees of time, patience, internet skills, technical knowledge and some certainly do not hang out on the forums to absorb every detail.

I notice that some people tend to treat everybody like they are some sort of borg collective of knowledge and protocol.

I like the doctors "do no harm" policy and the saying "if you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all".

I hate to say it but this forum in particular has a "reputation" in wargaming circles because of this kind of "guilty until proven innocent" approach.

Just my 2c about how sometimes things go wrong on this forum.

I hope it helps people realise what they are doing without being "judgemental" myself.

Being nice and considerate is all about "considering" the benefit of the doubt before judging.

People have varying degrees of time, patience, internet skills, technical knowledge and some certainly do not hang out on the forums to absorb every detail.

I notice that some people tend to treat everybody like they are some sort of borg collective of knowledge and protocol.

I like the doctors "do no harm" policy and the saying "if you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all".

I hate to say it but this forum in particular has a "reputation" in wargaming circles because of this kind of "guilty until proven innocent" approach.

Just my 2c about how sometimes things go wrong on this forum.

I hope it helps people realise what they are doing without being "judgemental" myself.

LOL from what I've seen it is not confined to this forum or wargaming circles. People behaving badly is I think the new term for the Internet.

and some certainly do not hang out on the forums to absorb every detail.

WHAT? SHOOT THEM!

@Nuggetz and drtechno...don't mind Steiner, tact and manners aren't a part of his molecular structure...

Mord.

Doing a search for a piece of information before asking is basic good forum manners. Not having done one is proof of guilt. It takes next to no "technnical knowledge" or "internet skills" to search a forum.

What it can take is more time to plough through the irrelevancies and pointless controversies that get introduced in public threads in order to find the precise information you were looking for, which could easily be rectified with a closed announcement/sticky.

Whenever someone suggests a questioner do a search for an answer my first thought is the miserable luck I've had doing searches, myself. My second thought is if posters were restricted from repeating themselves on these forums we'd quickly run out of topics! And yes, I have said this before - its a repeat. :D;)

could easily be rectified with a closed announcement/sticky.

Like this you mean?

But, to be fair, it takes some pretty arcane "internet skills" and "technical knowledge" to find the very first stickied thread.

Like this you mean?

Actually, I was thinking of one that distilled all the info out of that thread into easily-digestible bullet points for the hard-of-thinking. And then closed it down so no whining numpties can complain about "paying for patches".

But, to be fair, it takes some pretty arcane "internet skills" and "technical knowledge" to find the very first stickied thread.

:)

Whenever someone suggests a questioner do a search for an answer my first thought is the miserable luck I've had doing searches, myself.

Double plus amen to that, brother. I have had such consistently bad luck trying to use the search function on this forum that I have given up on it. It's much faster for me to post a simple question and for someone in the know to post an answer than for me to spend an hour going through threads that do not tell me what I want to know.

Michael

Whenever someone suggests a questioner do a search for an answer my first thought is the miserable luck I've had doing searches, myself. ....

Even when you don't search, just tell them you did search and start your post.

"Yes I've tried searching but no luck...." You always get help.

Like this you mean?

Unbelievable.. This thread is nutty. What a bunch of jackasses some of you are.

First off, I am no noob to CM anything. I have owned every copy of every CM game produced since the first iteration. I have been on this forum a long time.

Second, what a revelation ! Check the sticky ?? Do a search ?? Excellent advice if any of it made sense. As someone mentioned, searching for this topic is essentially useless since the keywords are too general. As for the silly sticky? Let's read the sticky together:

-"we will release a totally new standalone game"

Ok, pretty clear. Understood. New engine, new standalone module release, full price. Fine.

-"Each distinct "family" of Combat Mission games only needs one upgrade regardless of how many Modules are already owned"

What is a 'family' exactly? What designation in the CMFI title states that it is in a new 'family' ?

-"A few months after the new game releases, owners of previous Combat Mission games can purchase Upgrades to add those features to CM products they already own. "

Ok.. but what if I DO purchase the new game and NOT the upgrade.

-"So, what does this mean in concrete terms for you right now, playing Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy and enviously gawking at the Combat Mission: Fortress Italy feature list? It means that once CMFI is out sometime in August, we'll work on an Upgrade 2.0 for CMBN. You will be able to buy this upgrade (the price is not yet determined), install it and voila, you will have Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy v2.0!!! The upgrade will automatically work for the base game and the Commonwealth module."

Ok.. but what if I'm NOT enviously watching others play CMFI because I own it. They make everything sound as there are only two possibilities: You don't buy CMFI and decide to wait to get the upgrade to CMN because you dont want to fork over $50; or you purchase CMFI and only play that.

CONCLUSION- This discusses that CMFI has new features. It also discusses that if you choose not to buy CMFI, that you can upgrade to get the new features in the original CMN and CMCF. However, it doesn't address clearly what happens to the original engine if you do purchase CMFI. Seriously, how hard would it be to state "Purchasing CMFI does not update the original game engine. If you want v2.0 for the original CMN, you will have to purchase the upgrade at a later time, regardless whether you purchased CMFI"

The confusion lies in how they titled CMFI, since it would seem on initial read that it is simply a module (although standalone) with updated features built into the engine.

How hard is it for some of you semi-computer literate individuals to imagine that purchasing a standalone module CAN update the original game engine and improve prior modules? Have some of you guys seriously not been using computers that long that you can't remember a standalone module updating an original game engine?

Anyway, what ridiculous posts by many of you. Thanks to the rest that actually had useful input (ie-a brief answer).

Whenever someone suggests a questioner do a search for an answer my first thought is the miserable luck I've had doing searches, myself. My second thought is if posters were restricted from repeating themselves on these forums we'd quickly run out of topics! And yes, I have said this before - its a repeat. :D;)

My thoughts exactly.