What hapenned with the big new announcement?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The announcement is the release date for the big announcement, but they're not ready to live with that yet, so we should await the announcement for the announcement of the announcement. Does anyone know when that's coming?

BTS WE WANT A DATE FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT NOW PLEASE!!1!

it was originally planned for june 5. they took that into account already

We have a V-mail letter than my grandfather wrote home from his camp in England, saying, "Today is June 5, the day you'll remember as D-Day..."

I guess the censors allowed him to write that, knowing the letter wouldn't arrive stateside until well after the invasion. He must have penned those lines early in the day, before Eisenhower made the deicison to postpone.

(Having a historical artifact that's erroneous like that is even cooler, in a way, than if the date had been correct. It's a reminder about how much of an hour-to-hour thing the invasion decision was -- and how the events we tend to see as concrete, inevitable facts in the light of history were always fleeting, uncertain and fast-changing to the people who experienced them at the time.)

(Having a historical artifact that's erroneous like that is even cooler, in a way, than if the date had been correct. It's a reminder about how much of an hour-to-hour thing the invasion decision was -- and how the events we tend to see as concrete, inevitable facts in the light of history were always fleeting, uncertain and fast-changing to the people who experienced them at the time.)

Yes, I also feel that way about the Allied conclusion in mid-1944 that the war was won, and Germany would crumble, all was just a matter of time.

After all, the German military minds felt the same way about Russia (and Britain, in a way) in the fall of '41, then again in '42.

Nothing was ever for certain!

Yes, I also feel that way about the Allied conclusion in mid-1944 that the war was won, and Germany would crumble, all was just a matter of time.

After all, the German military minds felt the same way about Russia (and Britain, in a way) in the fall of '41, then again in '42.

Nothing was ever for certain!

While you're right, nothing's for certian, I'd say that if there was such a conclusion drawn by the Allies at that time, I think it was founded much more soundly than any such German hubris. Germany was a known, reachable quantity, with resurgent enemies on all sides, whereas Russia just stretches on and on. That the might of the Reich had failed to subdue a lone Britain in '40 should have taught them that conquering wasn't always such a cakewalk, but there were dysfunctional mentalities at the top. Allied intelligence was far ahead of anything the Germans ever had, too.

While you're right, nothing's for certian, I'd say that if there was such a conclusion drawn by the Allies at that time, I think it was founded much more soundly than any such German hubris. Germany was a known, reachable quantity, with resurgent enemies on all sides, whereas Russia just stretches on and on. That the might of the Reich had failed to subdue a lone Britain in '40 should have taught them that conquering wasn't always such a cakewalk, but there were dysfunctional mentalities at the top. Allied intelligence was far ahead of anything the Germans ever had, too.

i'd agree, but allied intelligence was also in multiple instances overly-optimistic. hence the catastrophe of market garden. fiasco in hurtgen. and allies also failed to ever imagine Germans could launch a large scale attack such as operation "wacht am rhein" known to us as "the bulge" so late in the war.

so maybe on a grand strategy scale, the allied conclusion was founded more soundly than Reich hubris, but in light of so many miscalculations of enemy strength and tenacity, i wonder if allies could have been even more wrong, without some luck on their side. at some point in july '44, some commanders thought it'd be over by september. the way moscow would be in german hands before the 41/42 winter. if you look at it like that, German Moscow by the end of '41 actually seemed much more likely and realistic, even in hindsight.

i'd agree, but allied intelligence was also in multiple instances overly-optimistic. hence the catastrophe of market garden. fiasco in hurtgen. and allies also failed to ever imagine Germans could launch a large scale attack such as operation "wacht am rhein" known to us as "the bulge" so late in the war.

so maybe on a grand strategy scale, the allied conclusion was founded more soundly than Reich hubris, but in light of so many miscalculations of enemy strength and tenacity, i wonder if allies could have been even more wrong, without some luck on their side. at some point in july '44, some commanders thought it'd be over by september. the way moscow would be in german hands before the 41/42 winter. if you look at it like that, German Moscow by the end of '41 actually seemed much more likely and realistic, even in hindsight.

While "Moscow by Christmas" might well have been more of a realistic outcome than "Berlin by September" (could they even drive there in that timescale? :) ), the expectation of Soviet collapse upon the fall of Moscow was always fallacious, and beyond the German high command's capacity to conceptualise.

The operational overreaches were perhaps comprehensible, but on the grand scale of things didn't make a fat lot of difference. The Germans turned out not to be able to sustain a mass offensive for long enough to get through the Allies depth, and if they had, it would just have set the offensive back til spring; Bulge-scale losses were never going to cripple the Allied war machine at that stage.

While "Moscow by Christmas" might well have been more of a realistic outcome than "Berlin by September" (could they even drive there in that timescale? :) ), the expectation of Soviet collapse upon the fall of Moscow was always fallacious, and beyond the German high command's capacity to conceptualise.

The operational overreaches were perhaps comprehensible, but on the grand scale of things didn't make a fat lot of difference. The Germans turned out not to be able to sustain a mass offensive for long enough to get through the Allies depth, and if they had, it would just have set the offensive back til spring; Bulge-scale losses were never going to cripple the Allied war machine at that stage.

yep, we are saying the same thing.

my alternate-universe fantasy: could it have been possible, taking into account what they knew at the time, that Germany could have turned the tides once again, and wwii lingers on for years? ie, tens of hidden infantry divisions in the heartland; the reich secretly having allowed more women to work on the home front therefore amassing huge amounts of armored vehicles and aircraft, just being pressed into service summer of '44; instead of having murdered millions in the death camps, using those victims as more industrial man(person)power. (the extent of death camps being another example of something well hidden from allied intelligence); huge oil reserves secretly withheld from their temporary gains in the caucuses.

i'm daydreaming

Those instances represent not so much a failure of intelligence—the correct information was in the system and being reported—as the responsible commanders either ignoring it or, as in the case of the Bulge, taking a calculated risk in deploying forces which were insufficient to cover the whole front and having the choice proven faulty. And even in the case of the Bulge, they weren't too far wrong as weather and terrain backstopped them, preventing the initial breakthrough from achieving its objectives.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
Well to kick off BF should release the promised patch for Commonwealth Forces which should, amongst other things, rectify and brings up to standard the King Tiger model.

Indeed.

Steve said that they "didn't think it was serious enough to delay the game for 2 weeks just to have better visuals for the two vehicles in question. They will be updated with the next patch."

Well. It has been three months now. And not a word on any patch. It seems to me that BFC have adapted their communications policy from the soviet politburo. :-P

Indeed.

Steve said that they "didn't think it was serious enough to delay the game for 2 weeks just to have better visuals for the two vehicles in question. They will be updated with the next patch."

Well. It has been three months now. And not a word on any patch. It seems to me that BFC have adapted their communications policy from the soviet politburo. :-P

Not sure what this implies. He suggested the vehicles would delay the game 2 weeks,not that the patch would be available in two weeks. They have never said when the patch would be released. If that wasn't what you meant, I'll go shut up and sit down. Or sit down and shut up... :P

Indeed.

Waiting for Godot?

"Waiting for Godot follows a pair of men who divert themselves while waiting expectantly, vainly for the patch to arrive. They claim an acquaintance will deliver it but in fact hardly know him, admitting that they would not recognize him were they to see him. To occupy the time they eat, sleep, converse, argue, sing, play games, exercise, swap hats, and contemplate suicide – anything "to hold the terrible silence at bay".