Xian's Hot Tip of the Day

...and no, I'm not talking about tomorrow's 4:15 from Aintree!

So...

NUMBER 1.

Have you just lost your HQ tank? Did the crew manage to get out okay?

Well, once they recover enough to let you give them orders try and get them out of harm's way and quickly order them into a halftrack (or other radio-equipped vehicle). They will soon be back in contact with the rest of their platoon/squadron, and the remaining tanks will be far less brittle.

...and no, I'm not talking about tomorrow's 4:15 from Aintree!

So...

NUMBER 1.

Have you just lost your HQ tank? Did the crew manage to get out okay?

Well, once they recover enough to let you give them orders try and get them out of harm's way and quickly order them into a halftrack (or other radio-equipped vehicle). They will soon be back in contact with the rest of their platoon/squadron, and the remaining tanks will be far less brittle.

That is a good one, I could use it right now. playing a scenario where I had at least 40 tanks. But I also have a total of about 2 halftracks. So should I use the halftrack for that purpose, I just might.

If you want a group of infantry to board a vehicle that is far away:

-Plot a set of waypoints for the vehicle. It helps to have the final waypoint near the infantry group.

-Plot a waypoint that orders the infantry to board the vehicle.

The infantry will then move to the vehicle's final waypoint. When the vehicle reaches its final waypoint, the troops will automatically board the vehicle.

I'm sorry. I was mistaken. It was the MMG carrier and not the bren. My Hot Tip of the Day is that I cannot be relied upon.

I just tried and dismounted the crew of the MMG carrier but they left the MMG. Is there an order that will make them dismount with the MMG?

Also tried it with the Bren carrier and they also did not bring the Bren with them.

The Bren carrier crew could acquire ammo but the MMG carrier crew could not.

Any advise is most welcome. Thanks

I just tried and dismounted the crew of the MMG carrier but they left the MMG. Is there an order that will make them dismount with the MMG?

Also tried it with the Bren carrier and they also did not bring the Bren with them.

The Bren carrier crew could acquire ammo but the MMG carrier crew could not.

Any advise is most welcome. Thanks

It looks like when you purchase a MMG carrier, the crew for the MMG is already counted as a machine gun team. The difference is that they can fire from the carrier using the MMG whereas other carriers cannot allow this. If you take the MMG and move them to a normal carrier, they won't fire anything but individual weapons or the bren. So, my battered crew that bailed out of the carrier during my disastrous battle against gogol was actually already a MMG crew before they ever bailed. Sorry if I made that confusing for anyone.

The MMG carrier is more of a special vehicle with a MMG crew that can fire from the vehicle instead of a vehicle with a removable weapon.

It looks like when you purchase a MMG carrier, the crew for the MMG is already counted as a machine gun team. The difference is that they can fire from the carrier using the MMG whereas other carriers cannot allow this. If you take the MMG and move them to a normal carrier, they won't fire anything but individual weapons or the bren. So, my battered crew that bailed out of the carrier during my disastrous battle against gogol was actually already a MMG crew before they ever bailed. Sorry if I made that confusing for anyone.

The MMG carrier is more of a special vehicle with a MMG crew that can fire from the vehicle instead of a vehicle with a removable weapon.

Should the MMG team/crew dismount with the MMG as it says in the manual?

When I tried it the crew dismounted without the MMG. What am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know any tips that would prevent a stupid MP40 owner, that is second member of a sniper team, from opening fire at any soldier within 150m or so - but at the same time allowing the marksman to shoot at them ?

Currently this trigger-happy guy opens fire at any target that is in range, revealing their position, and it fires before the marksman can - so the enemy hit's the dirt or returns fire, making the marksman job harder. I let them without any orders - then they engaged any target, the MP40 guy usually firing first. I set them a cover arc - they fired when targets entered the arc, but again - the MP40 guy fired first. Is there a tip to make him not shooting (other than a murder) so only the marksman would shoot ?

Do you know any tips that would prevent a stupid MP40 owner, that is second member of a sniper team, from opening fire at any soldier within 150m or so - but at the same time allowing the marksman to shoot at them ?

Currently this trigger-happy guy opens fire at any target that is in range, revealing their position, and it fires before the marksman can - so the enemy hit's the dirt or returns fire, making the marksman job harder. I let them without any orders - then they engaged any target, the MP40 guy usually firing first. I set them a cover arc - they fired when targets entered the arc, but again - the MP40 guy fired first. Is there a tip to make him not shooting (other than a murder) so only the marksman would shoot ?

Well for one thing, I want my marksman firing at much longer distances. Harder to identify where the shot came from and the bonus that the MP guy isn't as likely to give away the position. For most players I think the simplest way for this to be resolved is if the sniper was functioning alone (which would either require a ToE change or a depleted unit). It is hard to make best use of them when you have two different weapons that have different functional roles and a team that shouldn't behave in a pattern that isn't your normal, two troopers with guns mode. Within 150 m I am not so sure I don't want my MP guy opening up. That is purely situation driven. But I have found in those instances where I have a lone marksman, he is pretty darn effective. Broadsword and I just had a situation where an American team in an orchard just stood up to move and the moment they did a nearby marksman popped the lead guy. The rest of the unit cowered only to get hit by an Mg team that had just moved in. If I had had the MP guy there though it would have worked even better. The range was pretty short and I expect that MP would have reaked havoc.

Ya; 150m is way too close range for a Marksman. At that range he's almost certain to get spotted within a shot or two even if the MP40 gunner in the team is not shooting.

Better to use an LMG team for ambush at that range; they'll get spotted, but they also have a higher chance of achieving multiple casualties in the first burst.

Generally, if I'm actually trying to use Marksman teams as shooters (as opposed to OPs), I'll try to set them up to engage at ranges of at least 250m, and ideally over 300m. Over 300m, if they're in good cover, the enemy usually won't even get a "?" contact for several shots.

I agree 150m is too close for a marksman, but unfortunately the enemy contacts were showing up at about that range.

Even that close, I would prefer that only the marksman was shooting - the team is called a SNIPER TEAM - at least as long as there was no return fire.

I would prefer an LMG there, but I had no choice - in scenario it was a sniper team... :)

Well if there is no tip for that, then I hope it will be adressed and... well, that's all about this.

...the team is called a SNIPER TEAM...

And, as has been said many times before, is mis-sold under that name. "Sniper Teams" are emphatically not trained snipers in Ghillie suits with a spotter. They're the "best shot in the company" given a scoped rifle and a bloke to watch his back (Or Cleetus and Jethro-Bob from the Adirondacks who've snuck off from their platoon to pop them some Jerries, in the case of less regular establishments...).