Panzerfausts

Hi all,

Has anybody had any success with panzerfausts? I mean the one's that are issued to German infantry squads. I have had no success at all. I can't even remember my men ever firing one despite having had tanks within a 50metre range. I have tried issuing direct fire orders, fire arcs and no orders at all but my squads seem very reluctant to use them. In fact I have had more instances of squads firing small arms at tanks, even when buttoned up. Can anyone remember actually destoying a tank and if so what the hell did you do?

Hi all,

Has anybody had any success with panzerfausts? I mean the one's that are issued to German infantry squads. I have had no success at all. I can't even remember my men ever firing one despite having had tanks within a 50metre range. I have tried issuing direct fire orders, fire arcs and no orders at all but my squads seem very reluctant to use them. In fact I have had more instances of squads firing small arms at tanks, even when buttoned up. Can anyone remember actually destoying a tank and if so what the hell did you do?

It sounds like you need to get closer to the tanks. The Panzerfausts have a max range of 30m.

I've had alot of success with Panzerfauste but you should bear in mind that the type of Panzerfauste featured in CMBN only has a 30 metre range. The only times I've ever seen small arms fired at buttoned tanks is either when the TC has ducked inside the tank a few seconds before or when the tank is in between the squad and the target they are actually firing at.

Right thanks. I didn't realise that the range was only 30metres! So let's say said tank is 27 metres away from a squad with a panzerfaust. Is it best to order direct fire, a cover arc or are they supposed to fire the panzerfaust automatically?

Any faust-armed squad within 30m of an enemy tank will pretty reliably take things into their own hands and use the weapon, assuming they are unsuppressed. If you like you can give them a target order or a 30m cover arc to make sure they don't get distracted by a more distant target but I've never seen anything persuade any of my men that the live tank within 30m of them is not their primary concern.

[EDIT: Black Prince beat me to it. :) ]

They'll fire automatically but you may want to give them a target arc of 30 metres or less so they don't open fire on other targets/exposed crewmen with small arms before the tank is in range of the panzerfaust.

Sound advice. Will try that. The only trick now is to get within 30metres of a tank! It does sound unnervingly close. I don't know why but I always assumed the range to be about 100metres.

Sound advice. Will try that. The only trick now is to get within 30metres of a tank! It does sound unnervingly close. I don't know why but I always assumed the range to be about 100metres.

Yeah, 30 metres is hair-raisingly close. Succesfully stalking a tank with a panzerfaust isn't always easy but it is very satisfying. Remember, low walls, high crops, the 'slow' command and anything that causes the tank to button up is your friend.

They'll fire automatically but you may want to give them a target arc of 30 metres or less so they don't open fire on other targets/exposed crewmen with small arms before the tank is in range of the panzerfaust.

I recommend using a circular cover arc. There is nothing more frustrating than the tank moving more than you thought it would and having the pie wedge off by a bit.

I recommend using a circular cover arc. There is nothing more frustrating than the tank moving more than you thought it would and having the pie wedge off by a bit.

Yep, a lesson learned just one time. Once a tank parked 5 m behind a zook-team with a forward arc. They didn't even notice or hear (!) it. And then promptly got blown to smithereens.

Good thinking...will try that. I didn't realise that a circular arc was possible. Always thought it was one 180 deg or the other!

Whilst we're on can I assume that said panzerfaust operative can fire whilst prone?

Yeah, 30 metres is hair-raisingly close. Succesfully stalking a tank with a panzerfaust isn't always easy but it is very satisfying. Remember, low walls, high crops, the 'slow' command and anything that causes the tank to button up is your friend.

In conjunction with that this is about the only time I will task another unit to shot at a armoured target with small arms fire. One is to make the TC button up, second it helps when the tank is focused on something else ime. It's a bit dicey of course since you don't want half a squad killed distracting while your AT team belly crawls the needed distance. Hard to pull of successfully but when you pull it off it is a very rewarding experience.:D

I find charging the tank from the sides/rear is easier than crawling into range. Generally if you can sneak within 100m or less, you can "quick" move into range before the tank knows what's happening, especially in urban areas.

Your guy will automatically stop and fire when in range (although an arc is good here too to avoid them firing small arms prematurely).

It's a lot quicker and easier, but missing is disastrous and you generally have to worry more about the supporting tanks/infantry. But it works well on poorly supported tanks or if you're able to suppress the supporting infantry.

I realise we're talking about panzerfausts here but rather than start a new thread...

Got a bazooka team in a perfect position to the side/rear of a couple of Stugs. Just under 30m range, seven rounds available. Both Stugs are buttoned. So what does tube guy do? He spends two full minutes firing on them with his rifle until he remembers what that long thing strapped to his back is for. KOs one and imobilizes the other so shouldn't complain too much (although by then his loader was dead and eventually so was he). Tried covered arc and targetting. So what's all that about then? Surely a crack (because he was) tube guy in a perfect firing position is going to know what to do. And no, he wasn't in or even near a building.

Thanks Baneman, an excellent example of something that I was beginning to think was impossible in this game. I'm pretty confident that if I tried that the Stuart would have cranked it's turret around and wiped out my men but I will continue persevering regardless. Cheers!