What do the British get instead of the rifle grenade?

They don't have rifle grenades? The No68 was retired by '44, but I believe they still could fire Mills grenades with the discharger and a detachable thingie fitted in the butt of the grenade. Don't they have this in the game?

Although this shows WW1 No. 1 MkIII* Lee Enfield Wire Wrapped Grenade Rifles being used, the same discharger cups were also used in WWII....

This is some fun video, which I thought many of our members and other collectors here would enjoy. It shows some of our MILSURPS.COM members engaged in The Great Canadian Tennis Ball Challenge competitive match, using WW1 Enfield Wire Wrapped Grenade Rifles (click here), just one of the historical entries found in the United Kingdom - Milsurp Knowledge Library (click here).

Low-res pics captured from video

Enfield%20Grenade%20Launching_0002.jpg(Click PIC to Enlarge)Enfield%20Grenade%20Launching_0001.jpg

Enfield%20Grenade%20Launching_0003.jpg(Click PIC to Enlarge)Enfield%20Grenade%20Launching_0004.jpg

th_EnfieldGrenadeLaunching.jpg

WW1 Enfield Wire Wrapped Grenade Rifles (Tennis Ball Challenge)

Something that has me intrigued - we all know the little 2" mortar is a very handy piece of kit but the lack of HE can be a cause for concern. The distinct lack of firepower within a CW infantry squad can be quite evident. I seem to particularly miss the rifle grenade. Does the CW squad offer anything remotely similar?

They have two items of kit: every soldier gets equipped with "one each, lip, upper, stiff". Additionally, every Regimental Sergeant Major has a mustache of incredible dimension and work. Given sufficient enemy resistance, the RSM can cause his mustache to actually quiver while he stares about at the lads who have failed to beat the boche. Said quivering RSM mustache is enough to motivate the men to superhuman feats of arms.

Quite the advantage. (The officers' upper class accent doesn't even need mentioning.)

They have two items of kit: every soldier gets equipped with "one each, lip, upper, stiff". Additionally, every Regimental Sergeant Major has a mustache of incredible dimension and work. Given sufficient enemy resistance, the RSM can cause his mustache to actually quiver while he stares about at the lads who have failed to beat the boche. Said quivering RSM mustache is enough to motivate the men to superhuman feats of arms.

Quite the advantage. (The officers' upper class accent doesn't even need mentioning.)

Oh my God (Och mein gott?). Damn you. Cracked ribs, and you made me laugh for a solid 15 seconds. Bastarrd...

'Oh mein Gott!' - no need to translate the 'Oh'. :)

But a question: where comes the notion from that germans say 'och'? Its very rarely used in german yet I've seen it used several times in translations.

I thought it was well known! Just like the Germans also say things like... Gott in himmel!, as well as... Ze Britishers fight like devils! and my favourite... Mein Panzer ist kaput! a lot.

Regards

KR

'Oh mein Gott!' - no need to translate the 'Oh'. :)

But a question: where comes the notion from that germans say 'och'? Its very rarely used in german yet I've seen it used several times in translations.

I suspect it's simply because "Oh" is also a very common English utterance, but an English speaker (and especially an American English speaker) pronounces "Oh" quite differently than a German speaker does -- A German generally pronounces this with a clean, simple open "O" vowel, while in most American dialects it's a dipthong.

So the "Och" just looks more German on the written page to an American. But you are right that it's not really correct.

Another possibility is that this (mis)spelling may simply be the result of confusion with another common German utterance -- "Ach".

Gott in himmel!, as well as... Ze Britishers fight like devils

To those that have not had a childhood dominated by 'Commando', 'The Hotspur' and 'The Victor' comics, some of these phrases - and the artwork of a few of the CW Scenarios - might not be of any significance.

"Donner und Blitzen"! was always a good one - though as a 8 year old I always wondered what two of Santy's reindeer were doing with the 3rd Riech (and where was Rudolph?)

Remember coming to to the UK and buying a copy of Warlord magazine. Everything was going swimmingly until a pilot's speech bubble said along the lines of "Top hole old chap, had a bit of a recce was bounced by some nips and pranged my kite", I sought maternal assistance. Traversing the turret was another one, I always thought it was odd to walk on the turret during combat.

From vague memories "Ach, Gott in Himmel was a favourite", but unghh, aieee and aarghhh were often heard when the squareheads met the Tommies. Or as they were often know "verdamt Tommies"

...while in most American dialects it's a dipthong...

Ah, a DIP-thong? I believe that's more likely a piece of hot-tubbing garment favored by certain young females, advertising their availability for breeding and courtship. It can be VERY appropriate at times. At other times, it would perhaps be best if they used a one-piece bathing suite, with an attached skirt. A diphthong can be a bit more dry as a subject.

:)

Remember coming to to the UK and buying a copy of Warlord magazine. Everything was going swimmingly until a pilot's speech bubble said along the lines of "Top hole old chap, had a bit of a recce was bounced by some nips and pranged my kite", I sought maternal assistance. Traversing the turret was another one, I always thought it was odd to walk on the turret during combat.

From vague memories "Ach, Gott in Himmel was a favourite", but unghh, aieee and aarghhh were often heard when the squareheads met the Tommies. Or as they were often know "verdamt Tommies"

My fave was always the MG that went "BUDDABUDDABUDDA!" Why can't we have that in CM?

;):D

Michael

"Die, Englander Pig-Dog!"

"Ha! Eat lead, Jerry... and here's a tasty pineapple for afters!"

Actually - that's just reminded me of why the CW forces didn't need a rifle grenade.

Each section had a proffessional cricketer in it that could hit a wicket from Deep Cover Point with a mills grenade, so rifle grenades were superfluos.

The Commando mag once had a story based around a bloke that was a pro-cricketer and therefore could do absolutely wizard things with a pineapple.