New to Battle for Normandy

Hi all, I just downloaded the game this weekend and have played the training missions. First impressions are good and I am liking the realism having progressed from COH and Men of War.

I am still getting used to the interface and in particular the camera use but I suppose this will get easier with time.

A couple of questions.

I have all graphics settings on max but it doesnt seem as good as some of the posts in the screen shot thread - could I be doing something wrong?

I prefer the multiplayer experience as opposed to comp stomping but reading the manual it doesnt seem that easy.

Is there a reasonable online community? Is it easy to get multi player games going?

I am correct in saying its only 1v1?

The two options seem to be peer to peer or email (the second sounds like it could take weeks to complete a game?)

Is it a case of organising games through friends or is there some sort of battle lobby I need to join?

If there is anyone who would like to give a noob a thrashing please let me know.

Cheers.

Hi all, I just downloaded the game this weekend and have played the training missions. First impressions are good and I am liking the realism having progressed from COH and Men of War.

I am still getting used to the interface and in particular the camera use but I suppose this will get easier with time.

A couple of questions.

I have all graphics settings on max but it doesnt seem as good as some of the posts in the screen shot thread - could I be doing something wrong?

I prefer the multiplayer experience as opposed to comp stomping but reading the manual it doesnt seem that easy.

Is there a reasonable online community? Is it easy to get multi player games going?

I am correct in saying its only 1v1?

The two options seem to be peer to peer or email (the second sounds like it could take weeks to complete a game?)

Is it a case of organising games through friends or is there some sort of battle lobby I need to join?

If there is anyone who would like to give a noob a thrashing please let me know.

Cheers.

I believe some of the screenshots in the screenshots post have been altered and taken at higher zoom levels. You can zoom in up to 20x. They might also have been using modifications to the game.

I am familiar about the online pvp community. PBEM can take weeks, but it depends on you and your opponent. Remember thought that playing online is only real-time. Any way it isn't all that complicated.

If you want opponents you can either post here. I believe there is also a CMBN group on Steam and there are online wargame clubs where you can test your luck :).

Don't expect a thrashing, but I've sent you a private message answering your request. (As you're from, or at least in, the UK, it's quite possible you have a prurient desire for a good thrashing. If so, you'll have to look elsewhere.)

Thanks for the help and advice.

A couple more questions if anyone has time.

My units dont seem to make much use of grenades, is there a special order for them to do so?

I cant seem to find a hold fire option, sometimes I dont want a squad to fire or they are in an ambush position?

Is it possible to use a bazooka against a building (or gunshield of an ATG)?

Thanks in advance.

My units dont seem to make much use of grenades, is there a special order for them to do so?

No, there is no special order for using hand grenades. Troops will use them automaticly. They have to be pretty close though. I see them using them a lot in the woods and buildings, or when assaulting a bocage line.

Rifle grenades on the other hand will get used if you use the Target command but not if you use the target light command.

The short cover arc as mentioned is good for holding fire but as Trail ape points out if they are green or sometimes even regular they may get a little nervous or overly keen and let loose anyway.You can hide them to prevent this but then they become visually impaired and may not even see something quite close.

It usually works though and when it doesn't you get to be the platoon Sgt giving them a chewing out,well that's how you see it.Everyone else just see's some nutter ranting at a computer screen.

Enjoy