PBEM Man and other creatures

I have made numerous interesting discoveries and would like to share these observations and theories with the group. Perhaps you have played these creatures in your PBEM experiences. I have played several of them and I have observed these interesting creatures and their behavior:

• Manic/Depressive turn Guy- His enthusiasm for PBEM games is based solely on his success and failures. If he is prosperous he will send turns at an accelerated rate. If he is failing, his rate of returned turns will be diminished or cease all together. Once the turns stop coming, this animal is very challenging to locate. Some believe this creature will withdraw from the PBEM battlefield altogether or go in search of other opponents. A player’s turn production is proportionate to his success. (successful turns + perceived victory=higher rate of return).

• Tiger/Panther Guy- Now this is a fascinating creature. He will forgo all military manner of combined arms and tactical doctrine. He will invest all his capitol in expensive weapons, albeit not many of them, with no supporting infantry or artillery. He struggles to cover the map with so few assets but man he looks good doing it. Ounce he loses one or two of these expensive beasts, he usually withdrawals and calls for a ceasefire. Tiger/ Panther guy seems to romanticize that his superior tanks will be assaulted by mindless hordes of inferior tanks across a 2000m billiard table. He fantasizes that his tanks blaze away at the hapless attackers and he achieves a 10:1 kill ratio, leaving the battlefield littered with dozens of Sherman’s. After all he has superior optics, armor and weaponry. Great expressions of surprise have been observed as well as the gnashing of teeth and gouging of eye sockets when this creature loses a superior weapon to an inferior one.

• Elite/Crack team Guy-This animal is rare but does exist. Fueled by books and CD’s on “Sniper’s, Sniper’s and more Sniper’s) this creature cannot get enough precision shooting and surgical removal of threats at 1000m. He watches the Sniper Channel (Military Channel) and all manner of Whisper Channels (Hunting Channels). He is convinced that one man and his rifle can decapitate an enemy consistently from 500m and win a war. He is known to also possess scout, observer and AT teams with exceptional abilities. In the event that a volume of fire is needed he will resort to artillery strikes or cheap rockets, which are never as timely and accurate as imagined. Transformation Warfare in WWII will always be an impossible goal for this animal. Once his few elite weapons teams begin to suffer loses this animal will typically withdrawal to Operation Shockforce or Call of Duty.

• God of War Man-As we all know artillery is the greatest killer on the battlefield. It is thought this creature believes that by peppering the map with artillery and efficient use of TRP’, he will crush his unseen enemy quickly. Should the enemy escape annulation by artillery he will typically set elaborate defenses of mines, AT guns, specialized teams and fortifications. Again if his tactics fail he will usually withdrawal.

• Professional PBEM Man-Truly a rare find. This creature is well versed in combined arms warfare. His penchant for tactics is only exceeded by his ability to return PBEM turns at a reasonable rate. He is truly a worthy opponent, a man who has studied his history and tactics. His turns are usually followed with interesting email comments and notes. He shares his observations and experiences with his opponent, usually slathered with some self-deprecating humor and personal history. While personable and likable, this man is deadly. It has been noted that he does not coexist for long with all the creatures listed above.

Perhaps some of you have observed these creatures and/or phenomena. If so can you confirm and/or dispute my findings?

I have made numerous interesting discoveries and would like to share these observations and theories with the group. Perhaps you have played these creatures in your PBEM experiences. I have played several of them and I have observed these interesting creatures and their behavior:

• Manic/Depressive turn Guy- His enthusiasm for PBEM games is based solely on his success and failures. If he is prosperous he will send turns at an accelerated rate. If he is failing, his rate of returned turns will be diminished or cease all together. Once the turns stop coming, this animal is very challenging to locate. Some believe this creature will withdraw from the PBEM battlefield altogether or go in search of other opponents. A player’s turn production is proportionate to his success. (successful turns + perceived victory=higher rate of return).

I process turns as often as possible whether i'm losing or not, because if i'm losing and cannot see a way out, i want the game over as soon as possible to cleanse myself of my failure, and like a Phoenix, become reborn in a new game :)

p.s. I never discuss the battle while i'm fighting it.....FOW and all that, however i will write a novella about it afterwards :)

Blimey we must be very lucky at WeBoB just having the last type : )

Talking about the game has its problems - I get embarrassed when my opponent tells me information that I really cannot know. He thinks I know and I didn't. Also it is difficult to write much without revealing something revealing or something that might give a misleading impression.

Chatting off topic or on the game engine, or a lucky hit is fair enough : )

Talking about the game has its problems

"You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

What about 'The Whiner' (or perhaps the 'Whinger')? Someone like myself who perpetually moans about something going wrong for him with the game mechanics that results in his losing out to his opponent.

OR PERHAPS...

the 'I Never Seem to Win' guy... Again, like me, someone who believes CMBN has been purposely designed to illuminate his failings as a military tactician?

BTW - I only have mild cases of both these afflictions.

What about 'The Whiner' (or perhaps the 'Whinger')? Someone like myself who perpetually moans about something going wrong for him with the game mechanics that results in his losing out to his opponent.

OR PERHAPS...

the 'I Never Seem to Win' guy... Again, like me, someone who believes CMBN has been purposely designed to illuminate his failings as a military tactician?

My motto has always been I would rather lose a good game than win a boring game. And I stick by that.

OR PERHAPS...

Excellent self analysis and very introspective. Care for an PBEM game?

"You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

Here is my addition:

• Recites-The-Princess-Bride Guy - This player is not the norm of what you'd expect when playing a certain demographic. He may come from a redneck backwoods and enjoys swilling moonshine and listening to banjo tunes, but inside he is a sensitive soul who plays Combat Mission and watches "romantic comedy adventure films" on the weekend.

Why shouldn't I have a view ?? !! : )

Republican state, small population, and Caspar , and 50% women, and get the right age range ......

Heck I thought it was primarily cowboys and Fox TV .... !

Blimey that late. Off to bed.

Ya us cowboyz downt rite to good but we can ride dem broncos YEE HAA!!!

I call the Tiger/Panther/Elephant guys "zoo directors" :)

And in my last ten years of playing PBEM I met another very rare but likable kind of player: "The Unbroken Ignorant".

This type of player never wins a battle (or only very very seldom), he doesn't seem to know anything about tactics,

combined weapons and gameplay and he is resistant against any good advice but he always stands up again and is

asking for revenge. :)

And in my last ten years of playing PBEM I met another very rare but likable kind of player: "The Unbroken Ignorant".

This type of player never wins a battle (or only very very seldom), he doesn't seem to know anything about tactics,

combined weapons and gameplay and he is resistant against any good advice but he always stands up again and is

asking for revenge. :)

Yup, that would be me. :D

Lol, Entertaining read dpabrams. I have noticed this too. Luckily, so far I have never had my cliff hanger hanging indefinitely with the eventual receiving of the next turn albeit not as timely as the beginning turns.

I would say I am most like “Professional mafia hitman PBEM guy” Silent, but deadly, or at least I haven’t got whacked yet ;)