PBEM Man and other creatures

I would submit myself as a classic example of " We have a baby " man. There are days, and for that matter weeks when I can't get turns out, periods when I hit a wall of poo. Literally, more or less.

Lol, no complaints here on our Farm tournament game. Maybe finally men are learning to multitask (i.e. securing that nappy while zooming in to ground level to assess LoS on that goddamned AT).

Beware of play style mis-matches

Wow, nothing has changed over all this time, and never will.

The reason I do not play QB's much is because I think it allows for such play and one should accept that as part of how the game might be played. If someone can beat you by any means, power to him. It should have nothing to do with history unless both parties pre agree.

As for skills. ( Its a skill of purchasing, not so much a skill of tactics).

Thus why I prefer scenarios, one is generally rewarded with a situation where both sides are in situations which would reflect real life situations and can also give you different types of challenges than the same old QB feel.

I like both types of play whether it be scenario, or QB. It’s all good. The most interesting games I have had in my CM PBEM playing though are QB meeting engagements mainly in CMx1 due to better maps. I find the battles to be the most dynamic in that both players must attack/defend. I also like the freedom to put together whatever force I want, and the fact that I do not know my opponents force mix. With scenarios you know what the other side has. There is a strategy in purchasing for QB, which does play out in a game too as mentioned. Purchasing the right force for the terrain and your strategy to take the objectives will play a part in winning or losing.

Where the QB meeting engagements aren’t as good in CMx2 vs CMx1 IMO is the lack of an automatic map generator. In Cmx1 this created less contrived, more realistic landscapes giving a different experience each time. One player may have better ground to start just as in a scenario, which creates new challenges. Most of the QB meeting engagements maps I have checked out in CMx2 I find look too mirror imaged with too much exact balance in mind. I get a hill, you get a hill opposite ect… This can create a more static battle that could result in a stale mate if both players are evenly matched in style and skill. I’m putting the return of the RANDOM MAP GENERATOR on my CM wish list to improve the QB experience.

Mis-information! Propaganda!! I send out lotsa to my PBEM opponent. So much so that my opponent, sprinkled with some of moi's backed-up hardware and tactics that I even believe in my own invincibility!

Who knows whether the next assault charge of the Light Brigade will be a StuG hell-bend on perforating the hedges with its poking gun or a kubelwagon cornering on 2 wheels around a hedge opening armed .... with the Tube Guy.

If I lose, I blame it all on the General Staff and their bunker mentality for not visiting the front line.

Flower Arranger - a preoccupation bordering on a fetish, to examine all the nice graphics and pieces and arrange them on setup in beautiful and artistic ways away from any danger without any regard to doctrine or tactics and then proceed to protect them at all cost from the opposing player's line of sight. This player is not interested in combat but the collection of pretty, shiny things and a rather gleeful satisfaction in watching, turn after turn, a growing sense of alarm and frustration from the opposing player as nothing seems to happen.

The apogee of delight for the Flower Arranger is watching the aimless and uncoordinated rush of the opposing player's assets in every direction in a futile attempt to find something while remaining hidden in original form proving that ugliness can only enhance the pristine perfection of something heavenly on a CM map.

Flower Arranger - a preoccupation bordering on a fetish, to examine all the nice graphics and pieces and arrange them on setup in beautiful and artistic ways away from any danger without any regard to doctrine or tactics and then proceed to protect them at all cost from the opposing player's line of sight. This player is not interested in combat but the collection of pretty, shiny things and a rather gleeful satisfaction in watching, turn after turn, a growing sense of alarm and frustration from the opposing player as nothing seems to happen

OK, thats a pants wetter! It will be added to the list.

• 4 years later...