ss helmet 3D modeling

About ss Helmet in the Commonwealth module, it seems BFC use the same old ugly wrong 3D design as the beta base game ... :confused:

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://nsa22.casimages.com/img/2012/03/08/mini_120308060525591264.jpg' alt='mini_120308060525591264.jpg'>

I draw in red color where it doesn't work...

I just saw that the Luftwaffe infantry have the same wrong bad design 3D helmet as SS... Why BFC use this bad 3D model who come from the Beta version of the base game. The german helmet of the base game is already correct, so why this helmet for the SS and Luftwaffe? It is a mistake? I am very disapointed, I hope for the next module it will be fix...

I am fan of this game, really I love it, but Pleeaaase BFC remove this bull**** helmet and replace it with the german helmet of the base game...

• 4 weeks later...

Excuse me if I get this wrong, but isn't the difference in profile something to do with the fact that one helmet (Heer) is bare metal and the others (SS, LW) have cloth helmet covers that deform the helmet's profile a bit differently, since they are not exactly form fitting and tend to blur the distinction between the "upper" and "lower" portions of the helmet, near the wearer's temple? AFAIK all the German military used the same helmets through most of the war, so there should be no difference in the underlying helmet; but the same helmet would look different if it were covered with an ill-fitting cloth cover. This is what I'm talking about:

Z0TtI

Z0TtIZ0TtI.jpg

Your partially correct... Ill refer to the picks you posted going from LEFT to RIGHT.

The first helmet looks to be an M35 Heer.

The second is with a Heer Splintarn helmet cover (yes the heer had camo covers too)...

The third is a complete fantasy item as I believe they never made SS helmet covers in Dot44 (Erbsentarn).

The last two are variations of the Oak camoflage which was used, also on camo smocks, zeltbahns etc...(I have an original):)

Also you are right in that you cannot make the helmet with camo cover look 100% right unless it was modelled especially with this in mind.....which I doubt BF will ever do.

Excuse me if I get this wrong, but isn't the difference in profile something to do with the fact that one helmet (Heer) is bare metal and the others (SS, LW) have cloth helmet covers that deform the helmet's profile a bit differently, since they are not exactly form fitting and tend to blur the distinction between the "upper" and "lower" portions of the helmet, near the wearer's temple? AFAIK all the German military used the same helmets through most of the war, so there should be no difference in the underlying helmet; but the same helmet would look different if it were covered with an ill-fitting cloth cover. This is what I'm talking about:

Z0TtI

Z0TtIZ0TtI.jpg

I am fascinated with this whole underground German helmet culture. It's like collectors of rare coins or stamps or something. Do you realize there are more helmet mods than British tank mods? I mean I thought I was a grog with too much time and some anal retentive/ obsessive compulsive behaviors but you helmet people are just flat weird.

I am fascinated with this whole underground German helmet culture. It's like collectors of rare coins or stamps or something. Do you realize there are more helmet mods than British tank mods? I mean I thought I was a grog with too much time and some anal retentive/ obsessive compulsive behaviors but you helmet people are just flat weird.

Ya do just gotta love the obsession to detail and the fact that it can even be argued over. I feel almost embarassed at how little I know but hell I'll gladly accept any mods that come my way. Meanwhile the dirt on the jackets, is that true Norman field dirt? It seems to look more like late fall Lorraine horse pasture dirt. It is really affecting my immersion in the game.

If you ask me, the German steel helmet is a very iconic item of German soldiers from the 20th century, hell it's even like a symbol for soldiery itself (at least for me, nothing more iconic than that).

Also bear in mind that a helmet mod is more simple than a tank mod. Also, I don't really see what could be retextured on the British tanks, they look pretty fine to me.

BTW, I myself, being probably seen as a hardcore W-SS uniform grog in this forum don't collect neither SS uniforms nor helmets ;)

It's just an interest of mine, not an obsession, I would simply like to see an accurate representation in this game, which strives to achieve as much authenticity as possible.

It is not a discussion about mods or textures, but about the design of the CM/BN 3D german helmet...Of course the Zeltbahn above the metal helmet deforms the profile but the metal helmet must keep the same profile. In the game , the ss and Luftwaffe's helmet without Zeltbahn must be the same as the Heer base game. In the real photographs of WW2 you can see how the zeltbahn works on the helmet, sometimes the Zeltbahn is not well attached and reveals the helmet , or when the zeltbhan is well stretched the profile design looks almost like the CM:BN helmet with ss zeltbahn , but not exactly, my drawing attempts to show where it does not work...<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/438478HemetCMBN.jpg' alt='438478HemetCMBN.jpg'>

You missed that? We're way beyond that now, into the correct period pocket lint, you know. ;)

HA! Over 10 years on this board and I'd say that would be one of the more normal arguments I've seen...and yet stuff like this is what makes this place weird and fun.

Mord.

BUUUMMMMP!!! for the thread still alive!

We need a quick reply from BFC about the Fugazi's request! (Is it difficult to use polygons base game for the CW module? We expect a patch with the next module, pls!

With all the talk here I think you guys forgot about the helmet issue by now.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. The helmet has been tweaked. Also the chin strap. It does look better, thanks to the comments here.

There is a limit to the number of polygons we can use so it will never be perfect. Also it can be placed a bit more to the front, to the back, up and down. All this affects the perception somehow. All in all it looks pretty good IMO.

The texture might need a bit of adjusting after this tweaking.

Here is a preview of what it looks now:

GermanHelmet.jpg

• 2 months later...

fugazy,

Sorry to take so long to respond. I only found out about this thread today thanks to a beta tester sending this my way.

Thanks for finding the bug and posting about it. I don´t have a clue how that happened.

It will be fixed in Italy though and will also be in the upcoming patch for the Commonwealth module.

-