A quick rant...

Really really REALLY annoying thing just happened...

I am starting a quick battle of about 2 companies... I painstakingly position each squad, support unit, leader, etc... Then I painstakingly give the first turn orders to each squad, unit, leader, etc...

Then I decide to re-position my irrelevant battalion HQ... I double click it to make sure I've got the right leader selected... Then I re-position it...

Thereby, moving every damn unit... So I re-position it back... Thereby moving every unit back where I wanted it... No harm no foul.

I deselect everything but the battalion HQ and move it...

Satisfied I double check a few things and discover that EVER DAMN UNIT had it freaking orders cleared....

WTF...

Ken

Double clicking an HQ unit of any type will select all units under it's command (you will see all subordinate units light up when you've done this). Make sure when selecting ANY HQ unit that you only click it once if you only want to move it. I'll usually give a quick scan of my forces, when selecting an HQ to make sure I didn't double click.

Mord.

Yeah, you press the go button then half your forces pick up their kit, dust off their trousers and charge off in the wrong direction - the one you just KNOW is covered by 5 HMG's a battery of moaning minnies and a cannon company. WTF?

In the words of Snow Patrol

Hit that button there, the one that just says WRONG.

Javaslinger,

I've done the same thing before a few times(double clicking to see which HQ it is). However, I've since realized that you don't need to double click it - just single click the HQ and all subordinate units will turn bright green. Or you can just take the little bit of effort to actually look at the info panel.

Didn't know that double clicking will choose the whole formation :) Thanks for the tip, have to try it but try to avoid the problems you had with it.

If you double click on any unit, it will select all other units in that, er, unit.

If you double click on an HQ, it will select that HQ, all it's peer-units, and all units belonging to subordinate HQs.

For example, if I double tap a company 2iC I get the 2iC, the company HQ, and the jeeps. However, if instead of the 2ic I double tap the company HQ, I get the HQ, 2iC, jeeps, AND the three plaoon commanders and all their men, AND the wpns platoon commander and all the MGs, mortars, ammo carriers, adn vehicles.

Those distinctions are very very handy during the setup phase.

Really really REALLY annoying thing just happened...

I am starting a quick battle of about 2 companies... I painstakingly position each squad, support unit, leader, etc... Then I painstakingly give the first turn orders to each squad, unit, leader, etc...

Then I decide to re-position my irrelevant battalion HQ... I double click it to make sure I've got the right leader selected... Then I re-position it...

Thereby, moving every damn unit... So I re-position it back... Thereby moving every unit back where I wanted it... No harm no foul.

I deselect everything but the battalion HQ and move it...

Satisfied I double check a few things and discover that EVER DAMN UNIT had it freaking orders cleared....

WTF...

Ken

This has happened to me numerous times, from the platoon level to the company level. I want to see what units the company controls, so I double-click it. Once I know where the subordinate units are, I move my HQ toward them......aaarrrrgh.

The problem, in my opinion, is that once I do this, all the previous movement waypoints are erased. If it just added a movement line to each unit, the whole thing could, I think, then be reversed with a "backspace" command.

This is the kind of "no fun" issue which could be a problem for CM2. CM1 had the same mechanism, but since platoon commanders were the basic HQ unit, to be substituted for by company and battalion commanders at times (which was an "interesting decision" to make), I don't think it was as noticeable, or as potentially disruptive.

Just hit the backspace key to cancel the movement order if you accidenttly double click on any HQ unit.....It took me a while to figure this out. After going through the same problems you experienced. I was starting to think my units had minds of thier own, LOL

Yep one move order should just ADD one waypoint to all the units, which can be deleted in the same way it was placed.

Guys, just to clarify something. This is not a UI issue or problem with the game. You're all using this feature in a way it was not intended to be used. The double click of a HQ unit is a "selection" command intended for moving organic groups of units. However, we've all trained ourselves to use this to see which units are under control of HQ units when in fact, this feature can more easily be done by only single clicking on the HQ.

So I suggest, instead of complaining about it, retrain your thinking.

Guys, just to clarify something. This is not a UI issue or problem with the game. You're all using this feature in a way it was not intended to be used. The double click of a HQ unit is a "selection" command intended for moving organic groups of units. However, we've all trained ourselves to use this to see which units are under control of HQ units when in fact, this feature can more easily be done by only single clicking on the HQ.

So I suggest, instead of complaining about it, retrain your thinking.

This issue I think many of us have is that it clears prior orders. Why? As mentioned previously, if it just added a movement path it would be one thing... But why is it clearing orders???

instead of complaining about it, retrain your thinking

Aww come on mate, some of us are a bit long in the tooth for that. If a feature is not EXACTLY as we INDIVIDUALLY think it should be, then the game is fundamently flawed and unplayable.

However, I'm having so much fun/elation/fear/despondancy playing this fundamently flawed unplayable game I'm willing to give BF a bit longer to get there act together.

Hoever I insist on the new module having the British in RED coats (like when I was a nipper) and none of this fire and manouvre nonsense - straight neat lines and controlled volleys!

This issue I think many of us have is that it clears prior orders. Why? As mentioned previously, if it just added a movement path it would be one thing... But why is it clearing orders???

Not exactly sure, but I suspect it's because the TacAI can give orders to units. Therefore, if you double click a platoon HQ to give them all a group move, then you would want any previous orders cancelled so that the platoon moves in unison.