Looking for Book: World War II Ballistics: Armor and Gunnery by Lorrin Rexford Bird

Im looking for "World War II Ballistics: Armor and Gunnery" by Lorrin Rexford Bird and Robert D. Livingston, published by Overmatch Press.

I'd really like to get my hands on a copy, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells it.

I know this isn't the section of the forums to post this, but it seems like this is the place that most of the old forum go'ers and admins gravitate.

Could any of yall help me on this subject? (I've done searches on this subject, but I believe one of the authors died).

[ February 05, 2008, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Sgt.Rock of Easy Company ]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Sgt.Rock of Easy Company:

Could any of yall help me on this subject? (I've done searches on this subject, but I believe one of the authors died).

One of the authors used to post on this forum as rexford, but he hasn't posted since 2004. Hopefully he is not the dead one.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sgt.Rock of Easy Company:

One of the authors used to post on this forum as rexford, but he hasn't posted since 2004. Hopefully he is not the dead one. </font>

Hah, thank you very much, though it looks to be in Euro's and I'm not sure what language it is yet :rolleyes::D

Edit- I should chime in as well, 1.06 is pretty damn fun :mad: :mad: :mad:

this book is almost famous and there should be some old thread's about in the old old CMBO forum archives.

May I suggest for more respsonse to your thread and enquiry here you might put the author and/or book title in the heading of the thread.

Many folks on this forum should have a copy of that book

I tried my favourite source and there were no copies available:

Alibris Used Books

web page the book is in a bibliography on this page

Well, I had been over there in the CMx1 forums already, just looking at all the old threads on the accuracy of the game and performance of the gear represented (they're pretty interesting), Rexford is indeed what he went by.

But the problem is, not only are there virtually no vendor's of this book, I believe Lorrin passed away (thats what I last heard), though I shot him an email anyways.

IPE- ack, I havent checked the archives, I'll see what that turns up.

Sgt.Rock of Easy Company,

The last info I had was that Rexford was banned some time ago. No idea why. Never saw anything on his demise. The book is very hard to come by for two reasons: A) Grogs who have a copy won't part with it, and B) The print run was minuscule. A bad combo for someone like you. Were I in your shoes, I'd try to track down him or his coauthor. Would suggest you try George Bradford's AFV Discussion Forum.

http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=73

Believe I've seen Rexford/Lorrin post there on several occasions. Someone there can probably give you a viable lead, maybe George Bradford himself, who's a great guy. Good luck!

Regards,

John Kettler

I doubt very much that Rexford was ever banned. His account still comes up when you search for his name in the directory, which banned accounts will not (try "Kitty"). More likely he's gone on to the great armory in the sky.

I am symbolically banning xellos for posting a ridiculously long url.

I do not know Lorrin Bird's real life status, but he certainly wasn't banned from here. His style of posting wasn't to everybody's liking and I know he got into some pretty good scraps with people on various Forums. IIRC there were some here as well. However, in a more private setting (email and beta testing) he was in his true element. CMx1 was made that much better by his contributions.

Steve

This sounds stupid, but have you tried interlibrary loan? Librarians can be pretty good at finding rare stuff like this. I can't access First Search or World Cat remotely, but it's a good thing to try. I used to work for a library, and it was amazing what you could find sitting in a collection somewhere.

Steve and Charles,

Hmm. Could've sworn I saw something about his being banned. I certainly don't mention such things lightly. Perhaps there was interdimensional bleed over one day when I was on, rather like that Superman comic book in which giant arrows started raining from the sky as a result of an inadvertent dimensional door connecting a world of giants archery range with our smaller scale reality. Maybe he was banned in a parallel reality, and that somehow leaked through. Interesting to speculate about, for I have no real idea where I would get such a notion.

SlapHappy,

That's the copyright copy! Rather doubt that one'll ever go out on Interlibrary Loan.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Steve and Charles,

Hmm. Could've sworn I saw something about his being banned. I certainly don't mention such things lightly. Perhaps there was interdimensional bleed over one day when I was on, rather like that Superman comic book in which giant arrows started raining from the sky as a result of an inadvertent dimensional door connecting a world of giants archery range with our smaller scale reality. Maybe he was banned in a parallel reality, and that somehow leaked through. Interesting to speculate about, for I have no real idea where I would get such a notion.

SlapHappy,

That's the copyright copy! Rather doubt that one'll ever go out on Interlibrary Loan.

Regards,

John Kettler

Oh, I wasn't suggesting it would....

I was just pointing out that Washington is the only location listed as a holding in the entire United States. No books leave the Congressional Library, I believe. It is a research library only.......

• 4 years later...