Just discovered something I didn't know about!

No. I am not talking about Emrys's granny panty collection

Steve's gonna make fun of my observational skills again. LOL.

Check out these pics. I issued some target light orders and the above pics are what showed up. Of course, I knew the green text gave you info about what each guy was doing but I had no idea crewman changed their weapon icons inside their vehicles as they used them.

6TN2DEz.jpg

I always thought those icons were just telling you what small arms they carried and their position within the vehicle, and with the gunner, that he was manning the main gun. That's one killer little piece of immersion. Next time you have a man (or two) in a vehicle heavily wounded pay attention to what the survivor's icons do as various fire orders take place (they could end up popping to all kinds of weapon positions).  All this long time playing these games and I am still being surprised! VERY COOL!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

I only started to pay attention to it more recently as well. I played SF2 and had Syrian BMP-1s of low quality. The TC needs to unbutton to fire the ATGM and I tried to have them unbuttoned but each turn they would button down out of fear of the enemy. So I noticed that the icon shifted from the distinct ATGM to sidearm each turn.

@rocketman That's so friggin' cool.

I thought it was immersive enough seeing who was wounded and what systems might get damaged but it never even occurred to me to look at them when they were engaging targets. So much other stuff going on you end up focusing mostly on the action replays.

Mord.

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

They are some good games, aren't they? 

It's just another seemingly small detail that adds a ton of depth. Five or six cool little things like that would be enough to make any wargame good. CM has loads of them.

Mord.

Yup, little touches like the functioning firing ports on CM:A's BMPs & BTRs (not present in CM:SF1 AFAIK) appear to demonstrate how the team developed the game step by step, possibly with a few dead ends here & there (CM:A Water & Marsh tiles perhaps?).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

possibly with a few dead ends here & there (CM:A Water & Marsh tiles perhaps?).

Those were Snowball's doing. And most likely BF didn't want to debut a full on water feature like we have now before the big boy (BN) was released.

Mord.

2 hours ago, Mord said:

@rocketman That's so friggin' cool.

I thought it was immersive enough seeing who was wounded and what systems might get damaged but it never even occurred to me to look at them when they were engaging targets. So much other stuff going on you end up focusing mostly on the action replays.

Mord.

With infantry you can see this too, for example a German squad, when the machingunner reloads his pistol shows instead. And he will use that in combat if no time to reload when under fire.

Speaking of info, only recently did I pay attention to the info about HQs, but I'm still at a loss how to best deal with the info and how it affects the subordinate units. Anyone who can enlighten me?

HQinfo.bmp

OMudNKV.png

Edited by rocketman

17 hours ago, rocketman said:

With infantry you can see this too, for example a German squad, when the machingunner reloads his pistol shows instead. And he will use that in combat if no time to reload when under fire.

Speaking of info, only recently did I pay attention to the info about HQs, but I'm still at a loss how to best deal with the info and how it affects the subordinate units. Anyone who can enlighten me?

HQinfo.bmp 46.93 kB · 1 download

OMudNKV.png

just had a funny shootout of two opposing MG teams at point blank range. One US outside a building and german that just got inside. The moment they discovered each other, both gunners draw their pistols and started their Browning vs. Luger duell at few meters distance. Can´t recall who was the winner of that. Think they vanished out LOS from suppression first before getting the matter cleared. :D

The HQ sub info screen is just informative. It´s averaged summary of all that HQ´s subordinate soft factors. Gives overall impression on that particular formations combat worthiness. Beside the more obvious data, "condition" is current physical abilities of troopers, like tired, exhausted, or preferably none of that.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:43 AM, RockinHarry said:

just had a funny shootout of two opposing MG teams at point blank range. One US outside a building and german that just got inside. The moment they discovered each other, both gunners draw their pistols and started their Browning vs. Luger duell at few meters distance. Can´t recall who was the winner of that.

Pistoleers can be surprisingly deadly and also a lot of fun.....So deadly and so much fun, in fact, that their antics may have inspired a whole campaign:

4mAyarR.jpg

I started messing around with a 'Taxi Wars' concept, partly for this reason.....But @MOS:96B2P 's concept was better!  ;)